Two of six airlines say there's no ink on iPod deal

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

I don't know of any Dutch "anti-iPod/iTS sentiment", and I would assume the vast majority of French people don't have one either.

More importantly, I doubt there is much overlap between the opinion of some French legislators and the opinion of management at Air France/KLM.

You're making yourself sound stupid when using "the French" and "the Dutch", as if they were one gobbled up piece of jell-o that just happens to be human, and, oh, despite being tens of millions of people, it also shares the exact same opinions on everything.

I was talking about the 'country' as run by 'Governments' I wasn't referring to the people, I'm sure they'll make up their own minds. The anti-iPod/iTS sentiment refers to the Dutch proposed tax which was probably a bit heavy-handed on my part as it was 18months ago, levelled at all MP3 Players (though I assume the iPod was a front-runner) & I'm not sure if it amounted to anything (they're not known for their extreme legislation). The French Government's recent anti-iTS fiasco is all over the web, google it. That same French Government is, of course, the LARGEST Air France shareholder so it's unlikely NOT to have any bias on the aforementioned fiasco. Not jell-o, May-o! I only referred to both as it was their 'national' airlines (though merged in 2005) who refuted the alleged deal - when last I visited the people were indeed very different.

In order to sound less 'stupid' I'll just stick by you eh?

McD
  • Reply 22 of 28
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reverie

Your ideas make about as much sense as saying that Apple and Microsoft shared the same agenda because they are both from the US.

You also said that iPods are only bought in the UK, so were did you get those statistics. Besides, you can use iTS downloads without owning an iPod (some would say videos are even better on the computer screen), actually you don't even need a Mac, because iTunes is available on Windows as well.

And the reason why Apple has not yet started selling videos in Europe? Simple:

1. Apple has always been a US-centric company. Many of their products services are better / cheaper /earlier in the US than in other contries or are better etc. in English than in other languages. If Apple cannot launch a product / service internationally they'll be fine as long as their home market is on board.

2. American TV and film studios sell a lot of content to European TV stations which may choose to protect their rights and broadcast that stuff years later than in the US, so there will be another party at the table. These stations have no interest in their material being diluted by the iTS.

3. Content owners still like to separate rights for different European countries in order to keep their cards close to their chests and potentially improve profits, while EU legislation tries to enforce a common market and stop customer discrimination. It's a thin rope for content owners.

I didn't say that iPods are only bought in the UK - read it again. Apple sales in Europe are strongest in the UK (probably because we can also understand English, allegedly) our MP3 market is around twice that of France & six times that of the Netherlands - according to the Germans that is.

As for being fine by being US centric, the US is only the second largest international PC market & likely to be third in the near future, they'd better wake up before MS go euro/global with Zune & broader iTS coverage can only help. I'm sure the US networks/studios don't have a current deal for all 250 iTS TV shows in every country in Europe (there were only a dozen or so running in the UK when I was there a couple of months ago) you can't tell me they'd hold back if money was to be made. Something else must be holding them back & I reckon Govt licensing will be a factor.

McD
  • Reply 23 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

There is a universal dock connector? I thought that attempt died. I haven't heard a peep out of that attempt since it was announced a year ago.

Seems a bit stupid to make a system just for iPods, the airlines should really create a dock system that allows iPods and other mp3 players to be connected up.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    from a Continental Airlines newsletter:

""

Continental Airlines customers to use inflight iPod services in late 2007

Continental Airlines is one of six major airlines that will integrate iPod into inflight entertainment systems. Apple Computer, Inc. issued a news release Tuesday announcing the news to deliver the first seamless integration between iPod and inflight entertainment systems.

Continental Airlines will begin offering customers iPod seat connections in late 2007. Customers will be able to power and charge their iPods during flight and allow the video content on their iPods to be viewed on their seatback displays.

""

wow... video onto the in-seat monitors ... and i was just thinking in terms of a charging port!
  • Reply 25 of 28
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jameshopkins

Seems a bit stupid to make a system just for iPods, the airlines should really create a dock system that allows iPods and other mp3 players to be connected up.

I think there should be some sort of universal dock system, but I don't think the airlines are the ones that can be reasonably expected to set that standard, I think it's an invitation to problems. Failing that, while supporting the iPod dock is second best, but not a bad way to go because it is by far the most popular device of its type and it's just one connector and they can provide everything in a single cable with no monkeying with adapters. Failing even that, the airlines would have to provide A/V inputs & power supply, and the user would have to remember to bring those cables too.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    Quote:

I think there should be some sort of universal dock system, but I don't think the airlines are the ones that can be reasonably expected to set that standard, I think it's an invitation to problems. Failing that, while supporting the iPod dock is second best, but not a bad way to go because it is by far the most popular device of its type and it's just one connector and they can provide everything in a single cable with no monkeying with adapters. Failing even that, the airlines would have to provide A/V inputs & power supply, and the user would have to remember to bring those cables too.

Of course the airlines should be using the ipod dock system because apple has 70% market share now. The dock is far better than anything else out there and really user friendly. Apple should license it and if the other manufactures don't want to pay licensing they can make adapters. In my mind at this point the ipod dock is standard now.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    Why not just a USB plug in the armrest ? ... bring your own "iPod connector to USB" cable.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

Why not just a USB plug in the armrest ? ... bring your own "iPod connector to USB" cable.

Wasn't this discussed earlier in this thread?