Who's getting a PS3?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skatman

What is it that you're going to develop for the Cell using this development kit?

Probably just attempts (and hopefully success) to do some mathematic simulations for various things in my line of work.
  • Reply 22 of 52
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Wii to christmas, PS3 in the spring. xBox ... umh... never...
  • Reply 23 of 52
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    The only reason why I want to get an xBox now is because EA just came up with a revised version of the Godfather which does not appear to be company out for PS3
  • Reply 24 of 52
    Strictly speaking, porting from xbox to PS3 should be easy, since the PS3 basically just has a much more capable version of the xbox's hardware -- As far as I can tell, the hardware difference between the xBox 360 and PS3 is kind of similar to that between the Gamecube and Wii -- But at the software development level and, even higher, the financial licensing level, it might not be so simple.
  • Reply 25 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel

Probably just attempts (and hopefully success) to do some mathematic simulations for various things in my line of work.

What type of simulations are you talking about?

You should talk Vijay Pande at Stanford... his students are having a hell of time trying to put together in-order code for ATI GPUs for folding at home.
  • Reply 26 of 52
    Learned my lesson w/ the XBOX360....will wait until April+ for both the PS3 and Wii.
  • Reply 27 of 52
    I was originally interested in the PS3 because of it's backward compatibility and ability to run Linux. However, I'm not willing to pay the current price. Also, I'm still waiting for the HD TV market to stabilize and drop in cost a bit.

I will be buying a 360, however, but only when Halo 3 becomes available. I just don't play enough games to buy the latest and greatest console when they first come out.
  • Reply 28 of 52
    Never. Waste of money. No good line-up and nothing coming up that looks interesting. The only graphics that are impressive is the not real time Killzone 2 movie, though FF12 looks better than that and it is on the PS2. The cell isn't too great for games, not too much better than the 360 and with it's horrible 256 megs of RAM it has a huge bottleneck on it. The controller feels too light and cheap, and the 'trigger' buttons it copied from the 360's controllers feel very breakable. Oh and no rumble? I have had rumble for the past 7 years, why not now? Stupid Sony stealing their rumble technology...

Oh and Resistane: Fall of Man looks very pathetic compared to GoW, which I played both for the first time yesterday. I'm highly disappointed in the PS3, and hope it crashes and burns, as it seems destined to.

But I might get a Wii later. I have a 360 already, but really, the Wii is the one console that just got it right. Nintendo is going to have a comeback I'm guessing. They are trying to keep a low-price which seems the best choice. If a person can pay 400 or 600 for a console, they are probably willing to pay 250 for a more innovative one.
  • Reply 29 of 52
    Quote:

I'm tempted: mostly because there's a readily available Linux implementation for it (YDL!). It makes for a wonderfully cheap Cell dev kit.....I suppose it can also play games.

Dude, I logged on this morning right now to post the exact same title of the thread...??!! Psychic, we is.
  • Reply 30 of 52
    Need for Speed Carbon? Is that on PS3? That would look ultra-fan-fracking-tasticly awesome. I'm a Need for Speed fan, brings me back to the old days of Need for Speed on the PC with polygon (no goraud shading or anything) graphics. And running from the cops. That was good clean fun. Still is - you just drive and run from the cops. Not like GTA, where you bash people and stuff.
  • Reply 31 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham

WHAT!!!!!

Yes. there are massive problems with supplying USA and Japan already. Forget about the rest of the world until like, say, 5-6 months time ??!!!

Look at eBay and the prices people are willing to pay for a PS3. FRACK ME WTF !!!!!!!??!!!?!11!!?!!!?!!1

(image below)

• Reply 32 of 52
    A profit of about $500-$800(?!!) USD per PS3 for waiting say 2 Days in line to get a PS3. Not bad if you didn't have to work on those days and had the cash to buy a few systems right off the bat. The enterprising nature of Americans never ceases to amaze me. Not like the low-brow sell anything to keem the cash flowing style of Asia/ SouthEastAsia, the Americans do it in style. PS3s and eBays, not sifting through garbage piles for a couple of dollars from piles of old aluminium cans and newspapers...

Anyway it would have been fun camping out with other PS3 hardcore fans for a few days. And to walk away in a few weeks with over a thousand dollars in profit, plus a new PS3 for yourself....

Foldable chairs: $38

Cozy sleeping bag: $70

Soda, beer and snacks: $50

PS3 20gb: $499

PS3 40gb: $599

2 PS3 games: $120

Camping out with PS3 psychos for two days AND selling PS3s on eBay for f*kloads of cash AND a brand new PS3 for yourself:

Priceless.

• Reply 33 of 52
    I don't know, camping out could be dangerous. You know, that one guy who got his PS3 was getting into his car and suddenly there was a gun at his head demanding his PS3...

And the 360's prices were higher I think. I mean, yah that is crazy as it is, but I've seen 360's go for 5000, a lot at about 3000 too. I think I heard on the news one went for 32000!!! I can't be sure, but I think that is what it was. He had it all ready to put on ebay with his phone or something and then when he did it just shot up right away, his being the first one up. Some crazy ass thing to do.
  • Reply 34 of 52
    Probably next year.

I have the Xbox 360 since last Summer and kind of disappointed. However, I love my Wii.
  • Reply 35 of 52
    I had a XBOX360 demo round the street where I was having some nice burgers... pics to follow. I must say, I am not impressed. Call me a PCGaming fanboy specwhore, but a 7900GT 256MB on 1280x1024 or 1280x960 with the latest games, an AMD64 singlecore 2ghz, 2GB RAM, 7200rpm drive. Good enough. Once you have an initial decent PC, you'd put say $200 in it per year, over 3 years, that's $600... Or if you push the higher end $300 per year, $900 over 3 years. Sure, a bit more than console gaming, but gradual upgrades are there if you want to do it, hell, if you don't want to do it, good enough anyway.

I'm on the bandwagon of -- PC Gaming or Wii or both. Word.
  • Reply 36 of 52
    XBOX360 car:

• Reply 37 of 52
    My brother is in NYC, he got a Wii beanie at the launch there::

• Reply 38 of 52
    Quote:

Strictly speaking, porting from xbox to PS3 should be easy, since the PS3 basically just has a much more capable version of the xbox's hardware -- As far as I can tell, the hardware difference between the xBox 360 and PS3 is kind of similar to that between the Gamecube and Wii

This is what Sony would like people to believe - but is not the case according to most game developers. A lot of development community are quietly grumbling that the PS3 is a really problematic hardware. And some are having a hard time to get the thing to run without dropping frames.

The 360 has three general purpose PowerPC processors. The PS3 has one and 14-15 very fast vector units. So while the PS3 is slightly ahead on the number of floating point operations it can do. The 360 is way ahead on actually being easy to program, and using all that available power.

It is interesting to note which launch titles did not get finished in time for the launch.

At the end of the day - these specifications are non relevant. It's the games that matter. Judge this stuff with your own eyes and not through the rose colored spectacles of press releases.
  • Reply 39 of 52
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

XBOX360 car

Looks like a hearse... 8)

• Reply 40 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

Yes. there are massive problems with supplying USA and Japan already. Forget about the rest of the world until like, say, 5-6 months time ??!!!

Look at eBay and the prices people are willing to pay for a PS3. FRACK ME WTF !!!!!!!??!!!?!11!!?!!!?!!1

(image below)

oh, looks like ive got a bit of waiting to do....