Report: AMD-based Apple notebook in the works

Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac

Why? Intels mobile chips are the crown jewels of their products and significantly better than what AMD can offer. I dont' understand this one.

If Apple did use an AMD chip in a laptop, I'm sure Apple's web site would display benchmarks showing the AMD chip to be faster than the Intel chip.
  • Reply 22 of 73
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel

Yep, not gonna happen. Intel and Apple are bed buddies 4-ever! Smooches!

No way. Intel is evil and their processors can't even divide numbers correctly. Dell is an Intel whore! PowerPC rules!!
  • Reply 23 of 73
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    This story would have been a bit easier to bite onto had they said desktops, but there is no way apple is gonna choose turion over merom. There is no way that is gonna happen, and I just lost ALL respect for digitimes for even saying that.

AI: Do me a favor and never post anything from digitimes again. They are a worthless company that needs to be taken out to the backyard and hit over the head with a shovel.
  • Reply 24 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar

How is this any different from the initial reactions to the rumors of Apple's Intel switch, which later proved to be true?

Or Apple making video iPods?

Because this is coming from the "always accurate" DigiTimes and because it makes absolutely no sense given how far ahead Intel is with notebook technology.
  • Reply 25 of 73
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I could have believed that Apple would have picked AMD over Intel at the switch but not now. Apple can't afford to lose Intel and I think that using AMD would annoy them sufficiently. Plus there's no reason to. Price to performance ratios are good, supply is good, updates are fast and AMD has little to no advantage over that.
  • Reply 26 of 73
    what would happen to intel's EFI?

isn't OSX the only OS that supports it now or does linux?
  • Reply 27 of 73
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Some linux distros support EFI using ELILO boot loader..... some future version of vista 64 will too.... who knows when.
  • Reply 28 of 73
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

How is this any different from the initial reactions to the rumors of Apple's Intel switch, which later proved to be true?

Or Apple making video iPods?

Because Steve Jobs like to say he has seen the road map over and over and over and over, etc.

Plus, AMD has nothing that competes with Intels mobil chips.
  • Reply 29 of 73
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

If Apple did use an AMD chip in a laptop, I'm sure Apple's web site would display benchmarks showing the AMD chip to be faster than the Intel chip.

Why? Did Apple hire Rumsfeld?
  • Reply 30 of 73
    Hold on, let me get this straight:

Apple is ordering a lot of 22uF MLCC caps. . .

which means? MLCC (multi-layer ceramic chip) capacitors are all the rage in contemporary efforts to reduce size and improve performance. But still, the only way you can get a 22uF MLCC cap is by selecting a model with poor temperature stability, large size, or poor voltage tolerance. So the tipsters expect that the parts have poor voltage tolerance, which should be OK since modern VLSI operates at such low voltages, and that the only possible way to utilize seventy of them is in a design with a large CPU+GPU SoC. For something like the iPhone, there doesn't seem to be any logical reason to use 22uF caps at all, but maybe I could be proven wrong.

Anyway, here's the bottom line: if the AMD reference design indeed calls for 70x 22uF MLCCs, and if you're in the market to buy a motherboard for one of these, DON'T GO CHEAP. 22uF MLCCs run a premium, and it's worth paying for good ones.
  • Reply 31 of 73
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    I wonder is Apple has a version of OS X running on AMD chips? In fact, Same for Sun's chips and others as well..

- Mark
  • Reply 32 of 73
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mkane

Using AMD would be good for Apple in that it would allow for better video card options etc...

Wait, what?

Quote:

and allow for less expensive notebooks using AMD processors.

I have news for you: the MacBooks, which you seem to imply aren't cheap enough, are Apple's hottest sellers. They have not a single reason to attempt to lower their prices.
  • Reply 33 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Wait, what?

You know......

I have news for you: the MacBooks, which you seem to imply aren't cheap enough, are Apple's hottest sellers. They have not a single reason to attempt to lower their prices.

Why lower the price when sheep buy them? LOL!!!

Anyway Apple needs a more hardware options and AMD would be a good start.
  • Reply 34 of 73
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    article is bullshit
  • Reply 35 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gyroscope

Understatement of the year!

goes without saying
  • Reply 36 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt

I wonder is Apple has a version of OS X running on AMD chips?

- Mark

i think amd use the same processor architecture, or what ever its called, as intel. so it wouldnt really need a different build.
  • Reply 37 of 73
  • Reply 38 of 73
  • Reply 39 of 73
    Quote:

• Reply 40 of 73
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

More impressive if that said Opteron.