End Brushed Metal Appearance

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

I now use Shapeshifter... although I will wait to see the new iTunes 7-esque Leopard interface. I'm using a Shapeshifter theme called "7" it was made up to look like iTunes 7, and I'm guessing whoever made it thinks that's where Leopard is heading. I think Safari in the theme is a touch too dark, and the address progress bar is awful, but I like most everything else about the theme. The way Safari looks is enough for me to think not to use it though.

Nice. I think Leopard will push a darker shade though. With pro apps darker than that darker shade without being "full-on black". Brushed metal is definitely dead. As mentioned somewhere above, resolution-independence GUI in Leopard strongly suggests vector-based "templates" off of which GUI elements are drawn. The overhead of using or simulating "textures" is a complete waste of resources, and Apple is well aware of this. Yeah, my gut feeling is iTunes7-like but somewhat darker for Leopard, without sinking to "dark glass Vista Aero". 8) Microsoft is definitely going for "shiny black gloss" as, well, "look at me, I'm shiny and new, and I have blue buttons!!" (hmm... what had blue buttons like a few years ago... starts with "a"... oh yeah, Aqua..!! lol wtf) kinda like the glossy notebook screens. In the long run Leopard will certainly offer something much more subtle and pleasing.

Edit: Strangely, I feel Vista will have too much "glowing" going on. Somehow I might not like (or maybe I will since "Windows has destroyed my soul") my Windows desktop resembling TimesSquare NYC... or those Tokyo districts...
  • Reply 22 of 32
    I think ShapeShifter for Leopard will be something cool for those that like to customise their UI to well, anything. Apple may offer 2-3 options (beginner "candy" to pro "neo graphite") but not more than that, IMO.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgkwho

...I wish I could take the iTunes scroll bars and implement them into the rest of the system...

Yeah, Aqua "bubbles" scroll elements and buttons are too "calorie-heavy candy" for 2007... 8) iTunes7 buttons seem like a strong indication on what Leopard buttons will look like.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    For pete's sake, Larry King Live uses brushed metal for its identity...what's deader than that??????
  • Reply 25 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee

For pete's sake, Larry King Live uses brushed metal for its identity...what's deader than that??????

That's the brushed metal with the old-skool metal grooves and stuff. Heh. Yeah, hella old skool. Cool for retro graphic design and stuff, but again, for vector-based resolution-independent GUIs, and Leopard 10.5, no Larry King for Apple Macs. Anymore.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    I installed Uno, however I didn't select the shade preferences when doing so. So now I just have UNO for everything. Also, I do not see the default files in Library/Application Support/interacto.net/UNO/guifix/.

So.... how do I reset the shade preferences at this point? Is there a preferences utility, or do I need to uninstall from the .dmg file and then reinstall making sure my preferences are set this time?

Thanks,

Chris
  • Reply 27 of 32
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chris_phs

I installed Uno, however I didn't select the shade preferences when doing so. So now I just have UNO for everything. Also, I do not see the default files in Library/Application Support/interacto.net/UNO/guifix/.

So.... how do I reset the shade preferences at this point? Is there a preferences utility, or do I need to uninstall from the .dmg file and then reinstall making sure my preferences are set this time?

To uninstall Uno or change the settings, run the Uno installer again.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo

hmmm I have more problem with the aqua scroll bars. It looks childish, bubblegummy.

That's exactly right! I couldn't have said it any better. Leopard better have a new UI. Period! Do you hear us, Apple???? Oh yea, and while you're at it fix the way one interacts with network browsing and printer management - two things that are WAY jacked up in OS X currently.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macvault

That's exactly right! I couldn't have said it any better. Leopard better have a new UI. Period! Do you hear us, Apple????

There is no way Apple would have changed the scrollbars in iTunes if they didn't intend doing it system wide. Also if you notice the play, pause, rewind and forward buttons that were dosed with Aqua, are now much sleeker looking, with a more functional push feel, as opposed to purely changing the color to represent the action. I think we're seeing a pattern here, eh?
  • Reply 30 of 32
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    People are talking about this black gloss, but I don't know if people are aware of the white gloss scrollbars in Mail.app in Leoaprd. They are rally cool, and just seem to blend into the background when not needed. You can see them in the WWDC 06 Keynote where Jobs demos Mail. Roll on Macworld.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

People are talking about this black gloss, but I don't know if people are aware of the white gloss scrollbars in Mail.app in Leoaprd. They are rally cool, and just seem to blend into the background when not needed. You can see them in the WWDC 06 Keynote where Jobs demos Mail. Roll on Macworld.

The scrollbars in the demo are the same as they are in Tiger.

Edit: Unless you mean the bars used for the stationary menu which are quite nice.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    I think the metal look is turning too much into Windows pre XP.

-=|Mgkwho