What is an American?

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister

...until we can all eat candy together?

CANDY!!?!?? HOW DARE YOU SUGGEST SUCH A THING! Only a HEATHEN SCUMBAG would want to make my teeth fall out and give me Diabetes!

(yes, that was a joke)

But why is everyone under the impression that the citizens of the US have some nonexistent attribute called 'Liberty'? Surely we are not as oppressed as other countries, but as long as you do not have total and complete control over your life, how can you claim to have liberty?

A question for thought, rather than discussion: Is there anywhere on Earth, and any way to get there for someone born in the US, where you can live without being subjected to someone else's rules?

Should there be?

The social compact that we all live under makes amazing things possible in science, technology, and all other aspects of society. But when did not having the choice of where to exist and how, turn into Liberty?

We have many advantages in the US, but by no means do we have Liberty. Go be an anarchist in the jungle for that. As long as you don't get taken off the plane by the FBI on your way there.
  • Reply 62 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister

... GWB wanted a war; to get it, he needed provocation...

Hm... Generally I wouldn't claim that Bush is intelligent, but in this case, I feel it should be pointed out, not as a conclusive piece of evidence, but simply as food for thought, that if you want to go to war, you aught not to damage your go-to-war ability by blowing up part of the pentagon. Then again, it could also serve as a goad to the military memebers, making them feel like they were personally under attack, and causing them to desire revenge. I don't recall feeling that myself, (I was approaching the beginning of my third year of enlistment at the time, and was stationed in South Korea), but I can see that working well. Especially with the Senior members of the military who worked in the building. And you never know, maybe he was trying to kill Gen. Shinseki. He forced him to retire shortly thereafter anyway.