Help me choose a game!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Want to buy a game, tired of Diablo II, Giants, Sims and Quake.

Thinking of the following, cast your vote, it will affect my decision!

Warcraft III

Black & White

Medal of Honor

Return To Castle Wolfenstein

Cast your vote...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    I'd go with WarCraft III or Medal of Honor
  • Reply 2 of 29
    Warcraft 3.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    Warcraft III, definately.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Warcraft is that good huh? It looks like it is a lot like Diablo.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    Black and White. SOunds really cool
  • Reply 6 of 29
    I really enjoy B&W, but only after I upgraded to a GeForce 4ti. On my Radeon it was too slow to be enjoyable (but certainly playable).

RtCW and MoHAA are very close... MoH has a more realistic feel insofar as WW2 is concerned, but the level design is lacking compared to RtCW. The graphics in MoH are also flat and uninspired, while Wolfenstein is very well done, with great atmosphere.

MoH is also a little bit too realistic. Yes, I know that sometimes people just died because there were six snipers perfectly hidden with no possible way to know of their presence, but that doesn't mean that it's a fun feature to put in a game.

I haven't played W3 though...
  • Reply 7 of 29
    WarCraft 3 isn't really like Diablo. The Hero aspect of it is like Diablo but that's only part of what the game is about. Think of WC3 as a 60/40 cross between Starcraft and Diablo. You have the camp-building, army-building, mining and wood-chopping (crystals and gas in Starcraft), real time strategy goodness of Starcraft while also having a hero character in your group at the same time that acts like a character from Diablo... he can level up (up to Level 10), pick up magic items, he's stronger and tougher than your normal units and he can be controlled individually while inside a group of other characters.

it's actually quite ingenious how they managed to fuse the two kinds of gameplay... they allow you to create a small army, say 12 units, including say 2 heroes. While all of them are selected, you can have specific control over your heroes, and switch between them using either the F1-F3 keys or the Tab key, while never deselecting your entire group. Very cool. So you tell the group to attack a certain place then hit tab and use a Hero's special magic abilities against specific targets or whatever, all while keeping the entire group selected.

Hella fun gameplay mechanics. I highly recommend it.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    WC3 is kinda fun, but it bogs down in the second campaign (undead) and unless you get very good, very fast, you will die a quick death in online play.

RtCW just plain rocks. The SP campaign is rather fun, if somewhat short, but the MP is extremely entertaining. I'd certainly spring for it, if you get the chance.

Haven't picked up MoH:AA yet, but from what I understand, it has an excellent SP story and somewhat shaky MP. Kinda the opposite of RtCW in that fashion.

Haven't played B&W at all. MIght when the price drops.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    I would totally go for WCIII. It is Blizzards best game so far and one of the best games I have played in a while. Black and white is also a most excellent game. I would only go for WCIII if you have a computer that will run it well.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    I have just bought Warcraft 3 and have had RTCW for a while...

I would be hard pushed to seperate them...both are plain awesome.

Warcraft 3 runs fine on my dual 867 so far (I'm a few campaigns in)...as does RTCW.

If I had to choose 1 game from the 2 to take to a desert island under pain of death, it would be RTCW...but then again I have only been playing WC 3 for about 3 days so what do I know

As for the others, I don't know, but if you have a choice between RTCW or WC3 you won't be dissapointed with either....

Peace,

Marc
  • Reply 11 of 29
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    RTCW would be my no1 on the Mac.

Red Facgtion is pretty okay though although some levels are somewhat short and meaningless.

I wish NFS:HP2 and DoomIII were going to be for the Mac as well.

Dobby.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    max payne looked quite good at ParisExpo... anyone tried it?

My 450 is slow at WC3 (or is it me?) anyway fun but stressing... I end up going back to civ... boy do I feel old...
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Yes, I've tried it. The 'grahic novel' concept grows pretty tiresome pretty quickly. After about 5-10 minutes of action you have to sit through a slow comicbook-style slide-show that is suppose to develop the 'plot,' which is pretty thin anyway.

I dunno, maybe the more mindless FPS' like UT have shortened my attention span, but I stopped playing Max Payne as soon as I got RtCW. More action, better story development and a much more realistic experience (the whole John Woo-style shoot 'em up thing in Max Payne gets pretty silly after a while).

Can't say anything about WCIII, but if you liked Raiders of the Lost Arc, you'll like RtCW.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    MOH. There are some pretty amazing sequences in it. Mind you the last game i bought was diablo 2 so i'm probably waaayyyy out of touch.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    How can you be tired of Quake ?
  • Reply 15 of 29
    Okay...so it looks like I will go with RtCW and Warcraft III. I will get B&W when the price drops. I would love to finish Giants but man WAY too many bugs. Since 10.2 it will NOT stop crashing.

I have a Dual 867 & Ti so Warcraft and RtCW should run well...

• Reply 17 of 29
    There's no question. Could it possibly be a more embarrasing thing than telling any person that you don't own WC3?

And I ask the same as Kali, how can you be tired of Quake? How???

Well, in any case, don't avoid getting WC3. Just don't
  • Reply 18 of 29
    I am not 'tired' of Quake, just need a break from it. Have they ever gotten UT to run decent in X? Last time I tried it would not go past the first level. Man, I loved that game!
  • Reply 19 of 29
    yeah, the current version of OS X UT (I think it's PR 3 or something) works pretty darn well. I get up to 150 fps with it with all effects on high, and at high resolution. As far as I can tell, all levels and maps work fine.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    yeah, UT PR 3 runs fairly well, not as good as Quake of course, but it runs decently enough to enable me beat many PC-users that are supposedly good on LAN

StrikeForce and Tac Ops was choppy as a friggin' hell, even though I reduced visuals/audio to the bare minimum.

specs: G4 466/1024MB/GF2MX/10.1.4

(not anymore, getting the DP1GHz RSN?)