BofA ups Apple target on outlook for fiscal 2008

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by willrob

But Apple has clearly stated they will not make a TV.

Apple has a history, with Jobs, of stating that they won't do a lot of things, and then turning around and doing them.

The Mini was one, the video iPod was another. Less spectacular, is the FM tuning accessory, after Jobs said that almost none of Apple's customers were asking for FM.

If Apple decides that there is enough call for one, they will make one. They have to figure out a way to add value. Hp has a set with the router sitting on the back panel. It does what the iTv and a Tv will do. It's a bit clumsy though. With the iTv, it would seem as though Apple is forgoing that idea.

But, Apple would sell Tv's if they have their styling, high quality, and their logo.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five

Uh.... I'm'a have to say 'no' on this one.

Yes, I agree that Apple is attempting to conquor the livingroom, but redesigning the TV is not the way to do it. The TV is mastered technology. Sure there are ever-changing formats and increasing quality and what-not, but really, there isn't anything new that Apple could bring to the table, nor is there anything unintuitive that Apple could "tame."

Cell phones are a different story. No one likes their cell-phone... it's an arena that Apple can enter and change. Same thing with the music-player industry 5 years ago.

"iTV" (hereafter referred to as "TelePort") is a new technology, yes, but it's so small that it makes TV integration nearly irrelevant. Why pay to integrate it when's half the size of a MacMini? You could literally hide the thing behind the TV if you don't like the looks of it.

If you're looking for a complete digital media system, you will soon (1-3 years) be able to find HD-DVD or Blu-Ray players with a similar footprint as TelePort, or perhaps Apple will even encorporate that into future generations of it. As for DVD, the aforementioned players will likely support DVD reading as well. And need I even mention VHS? If you need a VHS player, you've got bigger issues than controling a cluttered TV-Media center.

So with a TV, tell me again what Apple can do better than everyone else? OR Tell me what's wrong with a 6" x 6" x 1.5" box for streaming digital media (and possibly playing optical content) from your computer? If you can give me a resonable answer to either of these questions, I will consider an Apple-branded TV with a little more seriousness. Until then, I'll stick with my TV, small DVD player, and future TelePort... and I'll be totally happy with it.

-Clive

It's amazing just how shortsighted some of you guys here are.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

It's amazing just how shortsighted some of you guys here are.

You can't just say that and not state an argument!

I'm not a nay-sayer on much, but on this topic, I have my doubts... and I gave sufficient reasons as to why I do. I'm not short-sighted. I just don't think there's a whole lot that Apple can bring to the table besides their "set-top" box. It's so tiny as it is... why do you need it integrated into a television that may or may not suit your needs?

Instead of calling me short-sided, how about you stick up for your beliefs?

-Clive
  • Reply 24 of 36
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    There's gonna be a fight!
  • Reply 25 of 36
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Pass the carrots.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    Quote:

Apple would sell Tv's if they have their styling, high quality, and their logo.

Not to mention built-in iTV/Teleport and a small hard drive to boot. They would sell a heap of them, and they know that.

Bang in a side-load slot-load Blu-Ray player (when they come down a bit), and you've got one hell of a powerful, slick set-up.

You can also bet that being Apple the display would be extra-thin... hell they could even go a step furthur and make it SED.

"Toshiba's final versions of SEDs will ship with a contrast ratio of 100,000:1. Exceptional 1ms response time. Brightness of 450 nits, & 180 degree viewing angle."

or they could use Clive's advice and build toasters instead
  • Reply 27 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five

You can't just say that and not state an argument!

I'm not a nay-sayer on much, but on this topic, I have my doubts... and I gave sufficient reasons as to why I do. I'm not short-sighted. I just don't think there's a whole lot that Apple can bring to the table besides their "set-top" box. It's so tiny as it is... why do you need it integrated into a television that may or may not suit your needs?

Instead of calling me short-sided, how about you stick up for your beliefs?

-Clive

I have. Several times. Read the posts back and you'll see.

Too many people don't bother to read all of the posts before making statements.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

Not to mention built-in iTV/Teleport and a small hard drive to boot. They would sell a heap of them, and they know that.

Bang in a side-load slot-load Blu-Ray player (when they come down a bit), and you've got one hell of a powerful, slick set-up.

You can also bet that being Apple the display would be extra-thin... hell they could even go a step furthur and make it SED.

"Toshiba's final versions of SEDs will ship with a contrast ratio of 100,000:1. Exceptional 1ms response time. Brightness of 450 nits, & 180 degree viewing angle."

or they could use Clive's advice and build toasters instead

I agree. Apple just has to do it better, and make it look nicer.

Another thing I've brought up in several threads, is that people want to buy turnkey systems these days.

An entire system from one manufacturer, integrated in looks and functionality.

We're seeing that even in the high end of the audio/video market. Friends who manufacturer expensive products are branching out into areas they never bothered with before, because their customers are asking them for the entire package.

I can easily see Apple doing the same thing. It's a way to pull in a LOT more cash from a customer. The customer gets the advantage of the integrated style, and the assurance that everything will work properly together, instead of having to be personally responsible for it themselves.

Apple could be waiting for better display technology. There are several types expected in a year or two. But, I'm not sure they would wait two years, maybe not even one.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    Quote:

I agree. Apple just has to do it better, and make it look nicer.

Another thing I've brought up in several threads, is that people want to buy turnkey systems these days.

An entire system from one manufacturer, integrated in looks and functionality.

We're seeing that even in the high end of the audio/video market. Friends who manufacturer expensive products are branching out into areas they never bothered with before, because their customers are asking them for the entire package.

I can easily see Apple doing the same thing. It's a way to pull in a LOT more cash from a customer. The customer gets the advantage of the integrated style, and the assurance that everything will work properly together, instead of having to be personally responsible for it themselves.

Apple could be waiting for better display technology. There are several types expected in a year or two. But, I'm not sure they would wait two years, maybe not even one.

I agree with melgross, the rest of the industry doesn't get it.

There is a huge untapped market of people who want a home theater experience.

Unfortunately when you walk into Best Buy and start trying to figure out all the options and how it fits together, most people will give up and just buy something they CAN hook up.

If Apple made a home theater in a box that was simple and anyone could set up it would sell like iPods(hot-cakes have been deprecated).
  • Reply 30 of 36
    Quote:

I know an Apple branded TV is coming, it's that simple I just know it.

1 by 1 the stars align.

Is this where we say "hello, Rolo"?
  • Reply 31 of 36
    I'm of 2 minds about the "Apple TV" (or "Apple Amp" for that matter). Apple has the pieces to make a TV reasonably easily. But I'd rather see them work with any TV (and Amp) out there.

An iTV and a universal remote would seem to be the easiest entry points for Apple. The iTV is Apple's doorway to selling content of course. The universal remote is a chance to make the many hodge-podge systems work easily... if Apple can do it. Iin my experience, most universal remotes make assumptions about the devices, and end up with missing buttons, or buttons that do nothing. Apple needs to go one better, the only thing I can think of is either a touch screen remote, or a remote with buttons that can change their labels (as Apple patented recently) - either option would need to have a REALLY nice programming/setup environment on the computer.

Quote:

3. Apple TV service.

What are you thinking here? I assume you mean a payTV substitute? .... Even within that, do you mean more purchasing from iTMS? Rental videos via iTMS? A streaming PayTV service? A subscription service that lets you download ("record") any show shown on PayTV in the last day?

I think a service that LOOKS like the TiVO but downloads the shows when you select them instead of recording them (thus removing problems with slower connections) - would be great. Add in

1) video rental

2) video puchasing

3) watch/record local digital FTA channels

4) streaming channels at best available quality (from CNN to YouTube, I guess)

And you'd have one hell of a product

Especially in countries where cable has few competitors and lower market penetration.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander

What are you thinking here? I assume you mean a payTV substitute? .... Even within that, do you mean more purchasing from iTMS? Rental videos via iTMS? A streaming PayTV service? A subscription service that lets you download ("record") any show shown on PayTV in the last day?

I'm thinking something rather simple to start with. You must own an iTV. Then you get video podcasts and you get GooTube stuff all for free, which is great. Then for TV shows, here they could do a very simple but clever thing. They could do two or three packages: Pack 1, you get a chance to subscribe to 5 shows (full series), and you get another say 20 shows to choose from as you wish every week or so, (you must watch more than half the show for it to count, they'll think of a clever way of doing this, so you can't fool them). Pack 2, you get 10 full series subscriptions, and again another 20 as you wish every week. Pack 3, you can watch and subscribe to what you wish. Once you pay for Pack three you can do whay you want.

I don't know what TV costs in the states, but suffice to say if you pay 1 Unit for Pack 1, you pay 1.5Units for pack two, and 2 Units for pack 3, you can upgrade or downgrade to any of the packs you like, anytime.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    I think they'll do an LED projector.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1

I think they'll do an LED projector.

- Jasen.

No, TV.

They already do speakers (for iPod), they're doing iTV. They make computers with LCD's. They want us to connect out computer to our TV's through wireless (probably 802.11n) using a product they're making. They're starting to offer movies for download. Next logical step, Apple makes TV's.

Here's how I think they'll start into TV's:

They'll make them in black (only).

They'll give them minimal, sleek styling.

They're going to have decent sound (Appe knows this is important with HD downloads coming in the future etc, todays broadband is too slow IMO).

They'll make two or three sizes: 32" & 36".... or 32", 36" & 42" (Hardware 1.0)
  • Reply 35 of 36
    Quote:

No, TV.

They already do speakers (for iPod), they're doing iTV. They make computers with LCD's. They want us to connect out computer to our TV's through wireless (probably 802.11n) using a product they're making. They're starting to offer movies for download. Next logical step, Apple makes TV's.

Here's how I think they'll start into TV's:

They'll make them in black (only).

They'll give them minimal, sleek styling.

They're going to have decent sound (Appe knows this is important with HD downloads coming in the future etc, todays broadband is too slow IMO).

They'll make two or three sizes: 32" & 36".... or 32", 36" & 42" (Hardware 1.0)

I have to agree. Good 1080p front projectors are still over $10,000.

And, while there two LED rear projector DLP models, they are fairly small right now, and expensive for their size.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    Quote:

I have to agree. Good 1080p front projectors are still over $10,000.

And, while there two LED rear projector DLP models, they are fairly small right now, and expensive for their size.

It wouldn't matter if they cost $500, the mainstream would never adopt projectors at this point in time. If they release them before 2008 they will definitely be LCD. If they release them later, they may be SED or some other revelotionary technology. One thing is certain they'll be different, iTV built-in, Apple styling, and Apple quality would be enough to give them the edge IMO.