More iPhone Fun

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
From Kevin Rose who previously (correctly) predicted the iPod nano and the MacBook Pro.

The gist is:

- Going to be coming out in January

- CDMA and GSM

- Small

- The OS is supposed to be "cool"

- Two batteries, one charger. One for MP3 portion and one for Phone.

- 4GB ($249) and 8GB ($449)

- Flash memory, Slide out keyboard

Original

Engadget

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    here comes Ireland with a post
  • Reply 2 of 29
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    That would work.

I like the 2 battery idea.

Hopefully, they are user replaceable.

They have already shown they can get the interface of the ipod really small with the shuffle.

I also think that the slider is the way to go.

Now, can one get an unlocked cdma phone? Or are we going to be locked into carriers.

Perhaps they will announce the phone then seek fcc approval. This way there are no leaks from filings.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Electric Monk

From Kevin Rose who previously (correctly) predicted the iPod nano and the MacBook Pro.

The gist is:

- Going to be coming out in January

- CDMA and GSM

- Small

- The OS is supposed to be "cool"

- Two batteries, one charger. One for MP3 portion and one for Phone.

- Flash memory, Slide out keyboard

Original

Engadget

price with or without a plan?

also the keyboard may make it a smart phone and that may mean that you must buy a data plan to get the phone at the deal price.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,442moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Electric Monk

Don't you mean $349 for the 8GB?
  • Reply 5 of 29
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    Video up on Youtube, saw it on Digg this morning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBfLjqfYKM0
  • Reply 6 of 29
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trendannoyer

here comes Ireland with a post

Don't you mean Northern Ireland

/by the way will someone move this thread over to 'iPod + iTunes', to stop someone posting a copy of this story.

The new iBin, coming to an Apple store near you:

(put your Razr's in here)

• Reply 7 of 29
    I bet kevin's friend is Steve.

Kevin Rose is the new Walt Mossburg

• Reply 8 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TednDi

I bet kevin's friend is Steve.

Kevin Rose is the new Walt Mossburg

I believe this one, but if it turns out to be false Kevin Rose will lose some credibility.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

I believe this one, but if it turns out to be false Kevin Rose will lose some credibility.

Doubt it'll be false. Kevin Rose is fairly high in the tech inudstry, with his website (www.digg.com) valued at $150 million USD by some sources, and one of the highest traffic websites on the net.

ANd given previous rumors concerning the iPhone entering manufacture, I reckon he's description of it is fairly accurate.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    I bet he was handed a fully working prototype of it and was an original beta tester.

In return he gets to "leak" on his website for our benefit. This way Apple will control the leaks in

their own fashion and timeline. He doesn't violate his NDA because it probably states when and how much info he can divulge. Or, perhaps he can drop the nuggets when the patent for the phone has been published.

It seems a bit contrived. Otherwise why would Kevin risk losing his 150 milion dollar fortune by intentionally leaking a product of Apple's. He isn't dumb.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Quote:

I bet he was handed a fully working prototype of it and was an original beta tester.

In return he gets to "leak" on his website for our benefit. This way Apple will control the leaks in

their own fashion and timeline. He doesn't violate his NDA because it probably states when and how much info he can divulge. Or, perhaps he can drop the nuggets when the patent for the phone has been published.

It seems a bit contrived. Otherwise why would Kevin risk losing his 150 milion dollar fortune by intentionally leaking a product of Apple's. He isn't dumb.

but then again, he did have a few beers before he started talking about it.

seriously though, why are they always drinking in every episode? his liver is going to bust.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    The podcast wasn't broadcast live was it?

If it wasn't then he knew exactly what he was going to do.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I'll probably end up getting a Moto anyways because I doubt the iPhone will have a camera.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

I'll probably end up getting a Moto anyways because I doubt the iPhone will have a camera.

there was a post a while back about how the iPhone will have a 2mp camera.

I was thinking about his, and then in hit me. apple will use the camera-display combo screen (there was a forum for this awhile back, but i can't find it). The camera will be the screen, and the screen the camera. This would be useful for things like video-chatting and photobooth-like picture taking (think iSight for phones), something that would be used far more often and more practical for a phone anyway. Earth Final Conflict's "global", anyone?
  • Reply 15 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pyriX

Doubt it'll be false. Kevin Rose is fairly high in the tech inudstry, with his website (www.digg.com) valued at $150 million USD by some sources, and one of the highest traffic websites on the net.

ANd given previous rumors concerning the iPhone entering manufacture, I reckon he's description of it is fairly accurate.

I said I believed it, and he's not high, he's drunk. Couldn't give a balls how much he's site is worth by the way. Good job you told me about digg.com, cause I've never heard of that site before. I use digg, and I like the podcast, but money isn't everything.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    -df-df Posts: 136member
    Why would there be a $200 difference between the 4gb and 8gb models? The price difference between nanos of those capacities is only $50. Doesn't make sense to me... unless storage isn't the only difference between the two models - maybe we're looking at the fabled basic phone/iPod vs. phone/iPod/PDA.

GIVE ME A TREO-KILLER!!!!
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

Don't you mean Northern Ireland

im still waiting for the sinking feeling in jan when steve says or implys "the US ONLY"

im SERIOUSLY waiting on this

if its not happening either in cool value or availability then im onto a p990
  • Reply 18 of 29
    Quote:

That would work.

I like the 2 battery idea.

Hopefully, they are user replaceable.

Two batteries b/c only one will be replaceable (think cellphone).
  • Reply 19 of 29
    Actually, I think it would be great if they were both replaceable and both the same battery.

This way if your phone goes dead, in an emergency you could use the battery of the ipod side.

just swap them out.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    What I keep missing in this rumor is what Apple brings to the party with their own phone. I mean, every other non-Mac product (iPod, XServe, iTV, iSight, AirPort, _______) is introduced under the premise that it enhanced the Mac user's experience in that product segment. I'm not reading that here. I'm just hearing about features--or lack thereof--that I read about on engadget every day.

Unless Apple has some killer app up their sleeve that is yet to be revealed, I doubt it's released. If it is released, MacPhone is a safer bet for its name.