You CAN play Wii on your Mac screen. PC Gaming is DEAD.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
1. Screw PS3 and XBOX360. Long live the Wii and games which are *fun* 8)

2. Connect the Wii video output to your Mac screen: use the Elgato EyeTV Hybrid - particularly helpful for those also in DTT broadcast countries (HDTV capable eg. Australia) eg. Europe, UK.

http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file...20874ef0c6c0e2

"Connect game consoles to your Mac

Connect your game console and enjoy an excellent live play experience – EyeTV Hybrid’s uncompressed analog video signals appear on the screen with virtually no latency."

S-video input from Wii output supported.

Score. No more need for PC gaming. Just your Mac, a Wii and an EyeTV Hybrid. No big TV needed though, which may affect the "social" aspect of Wii gaming, but no need for special separate TV -- or you could -- just have a Mac Mini hooked up to the bigass Plasma, EyeTV Hybrid with analog/digital receiver, and Wii hooked up to the Mac Mini. A great solution, it looks like....... 8) Fsck the overblown and bloated a55es of PS3, XBOX360 and GPU-obsessed PC Gaming scenes.

Long live the Wii !!! In Australia launching Dec 7th.!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Woooooooo
  • Reply 2 of 45
    I'm almost certain that the Wii is going to be a fad. In two years, everyone will be saying "why doesn't it do HD?"

As for your comment, It's seems like a better idea just to buy an inexpensive 20" TV for the Wii than to pay for the eyeTV. It allows use of component inputs which provide a much better signal than the coax will, plus no latency, plus you get a TV.
  • Reply 3 of 45
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    In two years, people are still going to be saying "Why should I get an HD TV again?"
  • Reply 4 of 45
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel

I'm almost certain that the Wii is going to be a fad. In two years, everyone will be saying "why doesn't it do HD?".

Possibly. But they will also be wondering why they have to buy a PS4 for $899 so that they can experience the uncanny valley in a better resolution - and also to get the UV-based digital media equipment.

Or they will be playing games with their friends on the Wii, and taking their bike that they spent the other $350 on out for a ride.

50-50 shot.
  • Reply 5 of 45
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I have my Wii pre-boked, getting it on the 8th. Woot. Doubt I'll bother connecting it to my Mac though. The real fun would be connecting the Wiimote to my Mac and playing Wii games without a Wii on my Mac that people are already beginning to hack. I think a Wii emulator is being worked on too, so you can just pop in your Wii disks and use the built-in bluetooth for the controller and away you go.

In fact if this did work out and you met with hard times, you could buy another wiimote, sell your Wii completely and continue to play the games on your Mac. Who knows maybe the iTV could grab the games from your Mac and you could play the on your TV without a Wii.
  • Reply 6 of 45
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    in 2 years we'll all be buying something else.

but this hybrid tv yonk dongle = $200 USD + wii($249) = $449USD

i think i'll just hook it up to the regular TV or buy an xbox360 thanksgbye.
  • Reply 7 of 45
    You can hook up your Wiimote to your Mac at a cost of $30 and use ut to play PC/Mac games.
  • Reply 8 of 45
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha

In two years, people are still going to be saying "Why should I get an HD TV again?"

Sad to say but I think you may be right.
  • Reply 9 of 45
    haha, so your screens take svideo connections? thats a reason to throw away your tv and has nothing to do with pc's.
  • Reply 10 of 45
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

You can hook up your Wiimote to your Mac at a cost of $30 and use ut to play PC/Mac games.

perhaps, if you can find a nice wiimote friendly game. but, why not just use the wiimote on teh wii?
  • Reply 11 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau

perhaps, if you can find a nice wiimote friendly game. but, why not just use the wiimote on teh wii?

The point being if you had a Mac, you didn't want to use keyboard, and you didn't want to spend $250 on a Wii. You could just buy the Wiimote and get cool motion sensitive control for your Mac.

I know this is Bootcamp and XP, but it is a Mac, and only a matter of time.
  • Reply 12 of 45
    Wow, didn't realise I was so anti-TV, a lot of y'all must have space to just plonk in another CRT Standard Def TV (the cost of the EyeTV dongle thingy) ... That's cool -- I for one am *done* with another, to me, big ass TV sitting in the room, it's heavy as frack. Even a 16" CRT TV. Maybe I've moved around so much I am *done* with desktops, big TVs (CRT or flatscreen), and big speaker setups.

Ireland's idea is fascinating. So it's the games that make the Wii, not the Wii, if we can play Wii games on a Mac with the crazy cool motion sensitive controllers.
  • Reply 13 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau

in 2 years we'll all be buying something else.

but this hybrid tv yonk dongle = $200 USD + wii($249) = $449USD

i think i'll just hook it up to the regular TV or buy an xbox360 thanksgbye.

Not likely. The PS2 had a six year lifespan. The PS3 and the Xbox 360 definitely planned ahead. The Wii is yesterday's technology with a bunch of gimmicks attached: No thanks. The more I learn about the Wii, and the more I've tried it, the less impressed I've become.

I certainly like retro gaming, but I don't need to get a Wii to play yesterday's games.
  • Reply 14 of 45
    Quote:

I'm almost certain that the Wii is going to be a fad. In two years, everyone will be saying "why doesn't it do HD?"

As for your comment, It's seems like a better idea just to buy an inexpensive 20" TV for the Wii than to pay for the eyeTV. It allows use of component inputs which provide a much better signal than the coax will, plus no latency, plus you get a TV.

The eyeTV thingy promises no latency and will accept S-Video - so it's better than coax, and for 480lines (480p), S-Video comes in at 480i or 576i -- so assuming eyeTV deinterlaces alright, 480i may be good enough on the Mac screen. Since that's 480i 60fps and 576i 50fps (fields per second, on Mac screen it would be 480 lines 30 frames per second or 576 lines 25 frames per second).

A 20" TV with component inputs would be cool. But if it is a standard definition TV, and if it is "inexpensive", though with component inputs, it would be pushing 400 lines or so, and I'm being optimistic here. Very rarely do we get standard def TVs which have more than 350 lines, AFAIK in my estimation, even *if* they have S-Video and component inputs, and even though SDTV broadcast signals are 480lines or more.......

But interesting points nonetheless, Mr. Spline, as always. 8)
  • Reply 15 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UseSkaForEvil

haha, so your screens take svideo connections? thats a reason to throw away your tv and has nothing to do with pc's.

Quote:

Not likely. The PS2 had a six year lifespan. The PS3 and the Xbox 360 definitely planned ahead. The Wii is yesterday's technology with a bunch of gimmicks attached: No thanks. The more I learn about the Wii, and the more I've tried it, the less impressed I've become....I certainly like retro gaming, but I don't need to get a Wii to play yesterday's games.

Heh, I guess my provocative title worked. Having not played any games for about 4 months now, I'm sort of, wow, this whole computer gaming thing.... Maybe I'll just not play games and have a real life since it's too confusing where to go -- console this or that or PC gaming GPU this and that
  • Reply 16 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac

Sad to say but I think you may be right.

I'm not so sure. It seems like anyone in the USA with the cash on hand to get any of the three new systems certainly has access to HD programming. (I mention USA because I don't know anything about foreign HD adoption.)

I suppose there are people out there that just aren't very "visual," and to whom the extra resolution of HD doesn't mean much. But I think you guys are the minority. Watching sports and movies in HD is a treat. Hell, watching the weather report in HD is really nice.

(sidebar: for the record, $150 buys a Magnavox 20" flat screen tube with 480i and component in)
  • Reply 17 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

Heh, I guess my provocative title worked. Having not played any games for about 4 months now, I'm sort of, wow, this whole computer gaming thing.... Maybe I'll just not play games and have a real life since it's too confusing where to go -- console this or that or PC gaming GPU this and that

real lives are overrated and you know it.
  • Reply 18 of 45
    Quote:

I'm not so sure. It seems like anyone in the USA with the cash on hand to get any of the three new systems certainly has access to HD programming. (I mention USA because I don't know anything about foreign HD adoption.)

I suppose there are people out there that just aren't very "visual," and to whom the extra resolution of HD doesn't mean much. But I think you guys are the minority. Watching sports and movies in HD is a treat. Hell, watching the weather report in HD is really nice.

Australia's 5 free-to-air stations broadcast now in analog and digital (DTT) with digital HDTV for quite a number of shows. Interestingly enough, cable TV here (only one major provider (Foxtel) (yes, Fox, but with a lot of other things like Discovery etc.)) has no HDTV at this stage AFAIK.

I have some pet peeves though with the situation, be it US or in Australia.

1a. LCD HDTVs often have too much pixelation and not enough contrast. SDTV sources played back on LCD HDTVs are the worst culprits. Plasmas have a nice velvety texture and if spec'ed properly with native 1280x720 pixels, look really nice with 720p or 1080i DVI input, and even with SD sources.

1b. Aspect ratio switching - I guess we're used to top and bottom black bars, but watching 4:3 content on HDTV has left and right black bars. I supposed one gets used to it. But as above, 4:3 standard def on LCD is pixelated as hell.

2a. On-demand. Of all the channels available, with my cable TV at home here, I am overloaded. There's too much stuff going on, and the whole idea of a lot of channels makes things worse. With TV series for example, I simply cannot track WTF is the season or episode. Particularly in Australia which receives US shows somewhat late (improving though over time, eg. American Idol, Survivor, Jericho)... We have Sci-Fi now in Australia Foxtel cable, and they show quite a bit of DeepSpaceNine, but again, I want to be able to select which season and which episode -- so that when one is watching a show, you can keep track of the sequence of stuff. Sure, with Oprah and stuff it's not so important, but dramas and action and sci-fi, it IS important. And sports -- what if you forget to record something? The game you really wanted to watch?

2b. iTunes Store stands at the pivotal age of a whole new way to watch TV and movies. Bandwidth and cost are the main issues alongside storage and streaming of content. Once iTunes offers 720p HDTV content sometime next year, things will get quite interesting...

3. Recording. Tivo does not support HDTV. Since on-demand is not really widely available, one has to record shows. But same problem as no. 2 above (WTF is the episode and season and stuff and what if I want to watch older seasons to catch up??) and HDTV hard disk recorders are really only now coming onto the market.

Quote:

(sidebar: for the record, $150 buys a Magnavox 20" flat screen tube with 480i and component in)

It may say "supports 480i and component in" but I seriously doubt if the actual TV has more than 400 lines. IMO. -- I guess one would have to check the specs and see the picture quality in person... Just my scepticism with CRT StandardDef TVs.
  • Reply 19 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UseSkaForEvil

real lives are overrated and you know it.

Heh.
  • Reply 20 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wirc

Possibly. But they will also be wondering why they have to buy a PS4 for $899 so that they can experience the uncanny valley in a better resolution - and also to get the UV-based digital media equipment.

Or they will be playing games with their friends on the Wii, and taking their bike that they spent the other $350 on out for a ride.

50-50 shot.

In two years... a PS4??!! Uh, you're a little off, dude. Who knows, Sony may never recover from the economic damage the PS3 release has caused for their company. There might not even be a Sony in two years.