Briefly: Foxconn to build 1.5m MBPs; 100GB iPod drive

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Computer manufacturing partner Foxconn is reported to have landed a contract to deliver 1.5 million of the Mac maker's MacBook Pro notebooks in calendar year 2007. Meanwhile, Toshiba has introduced a "short" 1.8-inch form factor hard disk drive that may pave the way for a 100GB iPod.

Foxconn to build 1.5m MacBook Pros

Foxconn Electronics, the registered trade name of Hon Hai Precision Industry, is expected to ship 3.2 million notebooks in 2007 after recently adding Apple Computer and Lenovo to its list of notebook clients.

According to the Taiwan-based Topology Research Institute (TRI), Foxconn will start building notebooks for Apple in 2007, with the total shipments expected to come in at 1.5 million for the calendar year.

Based on a recent series of reports, it's believed the orders to Foxconn are for Apple's 15-inch MacBook Pro notebooks.

Following the resounding success of its consumer-oriented 13-inch MacBook line, rumors are abound that Apple is looking to push sales of its professional 15.4-inch widescreen models in the new year.

In August, the Mac maker began shopping around for a third notebook manufacturer after facing some supply issues a bit earlier in the year. It was reported that Foxconn answered the company's call, expressing a willingness to help build its 15.4-inch MacBook Pro models.

Toshiba's new 100GB iPod-compatible drive

Meanwhile, Toshiba on Tuesday introduced what it calls "the world's highest-capacity 1.8-inch hard disk drive" -- the same make of drives currently employed by Apple in its fifth-generation video iPods.

Toshiba said the new 100GB two-platter HDD is based on perpendicular magnetic recording (PMR) and was designed in the "short" 1.8-inch form factor.

The drive offers a footprint that is 10 percent smaller than first-generation 1.8-inch drives, making ideal for thin and light mobile computers with an 8MB cache.

"Toshiba's technology innovation is setting the bar for mobile HDDs, and our first-to-market position in PMR is clearly helping us define the possibilities for pushing capacity limits in the mobile sector with more than two million mobile PMR HDDs shipped and over a year in commercialization," said Scott Maccabe, vice president and general manager, Toshiba Storage Device Division.

The new 100GB 1.8-inch HDD also integrates a low insertion force (LIF) connector that will enables mobile PC manufacturers to easily transition to higher capacities in smaller footprint HDDs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    It's about time that Apple step-up production, they really need to get this done right away for new releases if they ever want the business world to all sign on.

Hopefully Toshiba will continue with small drives, once HD comes out it would be nice to carry around multiple full res movies and possibly connect the iPod as the central hub for an HD or Bluray set-up... Now that would be slick.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    What are the chances these 1.8" drives being used in utlra-portable notebooks? Are any companies using this drive in that way?
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism

What are the chances these 1.8" drives being used in utlra-portable notebooks? Are any companies using this drive in that way?

Good news for that rumored 12" Macbook Pro, maybe? Hmm.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    I really, really, really (**REALLY**) want a 100 GB iPod.

The only reason I'm holding off on buying an iPod is the hard drive space. I have about 52+ GB of music on my Macbook (and that almost half of my CD collection-never mind vinyl!!).

My 1st generation Nano comes in handy as it's portable, but I want to carry most of music with me.

(wonder if this will come in handy for the 'true' video Ipod?)
  • Reply 5 of 18
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Yeah now having a 100 GB iPOD is justifiable with all the video podcasts out there. My collection of video podcasts is roughly 50 GBs so it would be nice to have half dedicated for them and half dedicated for music. Couple that with a 14 hour battery life and car trips would never be the same
  • Reply 6 of 18
    this could also mean 100GB orange zune.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

• Reply 8 of 18
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:

Well we do gotta be careful, Microsoft might be eyeing these drives to and they may try to pursue Toshiba to be their main purchaser.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:

ROTFL That's a great one!
  • Reply 10 of 18
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Wow, I swear 1.8" drives are growing much faster than 2.5"

I remember a couple years ago 30gb was nuts.

But damn toshiba is moving on up. it seems like Toshiba and Samsung are both posied to become the new Sony.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Toshiba said the new 100GB two-platter HDD is based on perpendicular magnetic recording (PMR) and was designed in the "short" 1.8-inch form factor.

The drive offers a footprint that is 10 percent smaller than first-generation 1.8-inch drives, making ideal for thin and light mobile computers with an 8MB cache.

what's the feasibility of using two of those drives in a macbook or MBP? are they slower than 2.5" drives? could two of them be included in a notebook and facilitate a smaller form factor?
  • Reply 12 of 18
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I would love to think those 1.8" drives would last in an ultra portable but I bet the life span would be short if you used OS X on a daily or 3 times per week basis. 1 year at most? What do you guys think?
  • Reply 13 of 18
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub

I would love to think those 1.8" drives would last in an ultra portable but I bet the life span would be short if you used OS X on a daily or 3 times per week basis. 1 year at most? What do you guys think?

Why should they last shorter? Only because inside an iPod without any cooling and very close to a hot battery they are believed to last not as long when stressed a lot does not mean they will not last long in a laptop setting. And there are PC laptops with 1.8" drives.

Put two of these in a laptop, make a RAID 0 and you have a superfast 200 GB drive. (Yes, that RAID array will fail a bit earlier. I do not care, I have upgraded my harddrive almost every year to get a bigger/faster one. It is very unlikely that such an array would fail within a year.)
  • Reply 14 of 18
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir

Put two of these in a laptop, make a RAID 0 and you have a superfast 200 GB drive. (Yes, that RAID array will fail a bit earlier. I do not care, I have upgraded my harddrive almost every year to get a bigger/faster one. It is very unlikely that such an array would fail within a year.)

Why do you think it would be faster?

If you wanted to stripe and don't mind making the optical drive an external one, MCE Tech has an Optibay product.

Drives can and do fail. You can assume that it won't happen to you, but it might happen anyway. I haven't had a drive die in ten years, but a three month old drive died on me last month. Just keep backups. I'm glad I did.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub

No, that's not true. They are built to withhold greater forces (shaking in the iPod when jogging, for example) and they are generally just built better. Because of that - and the production volume - they're much more expensive than the average 2.5" drive.

I have a 40 GB one in my Thoshiba Portégé R100 that is now two years old, I've been using it for that period about 8 hours a day for 5 days a week, and there is no problem whatsoever with it.

2.5" drives are getting cheaper and cheaper - and are manufactured cheaper every day. No wonder three of those failed in notebook computers in my family alone. But no problem with any 1.8" drive in any iPod my family owns - or as said above, my R100.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

Why do you think it would be faster?

RAID 0 should be not too far away from twice as fast. A 1.8" drive is maybe only 30% slower than a 2.5" drive. Therefore, a RAID 0 of two 1.8" drives should be at least 50% faster than a single 2.5" drive.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

Just keep backups.

Exactly. Just keep backups.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    jtblqjtblq Posts: 86member
    i really want that damn 100GB iPod...just for keeping 30+ episodes of MST3k with me at all times.

make it happen S.Jobs.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir

RAID 0 should be not too far away from twice as fast. A 1.8" drive is maybe only 30% slower than a 2.5" drive. Therefore, a RAID 0 of two 1.8" drives should be at least 50% faster than a single 2.5" drive.

My question is how you know that it's nearly as fast. The drive in my iPod is dirt slow, even with striping, I wouldn't want to use it to replace my notebook's drive if it has space for the larger drive. The drives tend to be very expensive too.