Apple launches iTunes, online stores in New Zealand

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple Computer on Tuesday launched the iTunes Store in New Zealand, giving New Zealanders access to local music and the same features, pricing and seamless integration with iPod that have made iTunes the most popular music jukebox and online music store worldwide.



The Cupertino, Calif.-based company also opened the online Apple Store New Zealand, where customers can quickly and conveniently purchase Apple?s complete lineup of innovative products, including iPods, Intel based Mac desktop and notebook computers, the iLife ?06 suite of digital lifestyle applications, a vast assortment of iPod and Mac accessories.



"We?re thrilled to bring the iTunes Store and the online Apple Store to our customers in New Zealand just in time for the holidays," said Eddy Cue, Apple?s vice president of iTunes. "With over two million songs, the iTunes Store features the largest catalogue of local and international music in New Zealand, and with the new online Apple Store, it?s easier than ever to shop for everything from a personally engraved iPod to a customized Mac."



With a catalogue of over two million songs, the iTunes Store features the most music of any digital music store in New Zealand with songs priced at just NZ$1.79, music videos at NZ$3.59 and most albums at NZ$17.99.



Exclusive music featured on iTunes includes tracks from New Zealand artists Fat Freddy?s Drop, Brooke Fraser, Tim Finn, The Datsuns and Bic Runga as well as extensive catalogues from New Zealand greats including Shihad, Crowded House, The Black Seeds, Breaks Co-Op, Elemeno P and Dei Hamo.



International exclusives on iTunes include albums from The Doors, Faithless, Incubus, Foo Fighters, George Michael and more. The iTunes Store features iTunes Originals from international stars Red Hot Chili Peppers, Ben Harper, Black Eyed Peas and Jack Johnson. The iTunes podcast directory currently features over 65,000 podcasts, including featured New Zealand podcasts from TVNZ, The Voice Booth and Radio NZ.



At the online Apple Store New Zealand, customers can browse and purchase Apple hardware, software, accessories and a large selection of third party products with just a few clicks of a mouse, the company said. Customers can custom engrave any iPod through the store, and can easily custom configure their Mac to suit their individual needs. The online Apple Store also offers special education pricing to teachers and university and college students.



Additionally, Apple announced that the iPod nano (PRODUCT) RED Special Edition is now available in New Zealand, only at the new online Apple Store. Available in 4GB and 8GB models, the player comes in a red aluminum enclosure and features up to 24 hours of battery life, Apple?s Click Wheel and an incredibly thin and light design.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 12
    fooeyfooey Posts: 52member
    about time!
  • Reply 2 of 12
    w00t, about time they got one. Just signed in and purchased. Prices seem to be lower than everywhere else in NZ except the parallel import shop.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    its a bit of a wast announcing it now, most Kiwi's hibernate this time of year
  • Reply 4 of 12
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,178member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iconsumer


    its a bit of a wast announcing it now, most Kiwi's hibernate this time of year



    & a tumbleweed...



    Just hiding from your possums no doubt.



    About time too! (Now let's see what local stuff we have that's not from the 70s). Kit's cheaper too!



    McD
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider


    Additionally, Apple announced that the iPod nano (PRODUCT) RED Special Edition is now available in New Zealand, only at the new online Apple Store. Available in 4GB and 8GB models, the player comes in a red aluminum enclosure and features up to 24 hours of battery life, Apple?s Click Wheel and an incredibly thin and light design.



    and yet the red nano is still not available in australia
  • Reply 6 of 12
    it is strangethat they open an online store for such a small market, but yet they continue to ignore huge markets like mexico or brazil.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    i dont think its a matter of IGNORING the market, id bet my house Apple would like to be able to trade world wide in every country, its just local laws havent negotiated that so far
  • Reply 8 of 12
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,178member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pistolero


    it is strangethat they open an online store for such a small market, but yet they continue to ignore huge markets like mexico or brazil.



    Possibly a strategic move to cover bases, Kiwi's are well travelled/distributed - I bet Steve has a disproportionately large stack working at Apple. An English-speaking country not covered off is a liability and a chance for Zune to gain a foothold (in feasibility if not dollars).



    Out of those 'huge' markets how many South Americans are actually gonna buy the music?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    well, for example, Brazil is the 9th largest world economy and a population about 190 million people. What fraction can afford apple prices?



    As a quick indicator, one could look at the number of international flights serving a country as an indicator of economic activity and trade. If a country has a lot of economic activity and people wealthy enough to afford international travel then there should be many air links to the main capitals of the world. In a poor depressed country with no money, the airlines are the first to cut service.



    Sao Paulo, (a city of 11 million people) has enough business going on to sustain multiple nonstop daily flights to several US cities and all the big european capitals, and even there are flights to places like Beijing, Dubai, Tokyo, Doha, and Johannesburg. There is a big demand for long haul travel.



    If just a fraction of brazilians can afford and are willing to pay instead of pirate I am sure it is still is much more people than the whole of New Zealand.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,178member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pistolero


    If just a fraction of brazilians can afford and are willing to pay instead of pirate I am sure it is still is much more people than the whole of New Zealand.



    Having a Chilean Mrs & a load of South American friends - I know what a big IF that is!



    Still it would be worth getting some storming tunes & arguably the hottest music vids around so thumbs up for iTS South America after all.



    McD
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Totally agree with Pistolero.



    I can guarantee that this "IF" is still so much smaller than the lack of knowledge of many people, that trust only in the pre-formated images exhibited by the media where South America is all about beaches, bitches and poverty. Despite the huge inequality that unfortunately permeates our society, a significant percentage can afford for 1st. world life standards, which is even more significant considering our total population. To give an idea, in Brasil, even with a ridiculous imports tax of almost 100%, iPods are still quite popular around; a quick check in our local webstores will confirm it.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neologisma


    Totally agree with Pistolero.



    I can guarantee that this "IF" is still so much smaller than the lack of knowledge of many people, that trust only in the pre-formated images exhibited by the media where South America is all about beaches, bitches and poverty. Despite the huge inequality that unfortunately permeates our society, a significant percentage can afford for 1st. world life standards, which is even more significant considering our total population. To give an idea, in Brasil, even with a ridiculous imports tax of almost 100%, iPods are still quite popular around; a quick check in our local webstores will confirm it.



    Keep it up, though, with the Cansei de ser Sexy.
Sign In or Register to comment.