Questions About Jupiter

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    Ok... I took your statement to mean in general...

It really comes down to the definition of high temperature....
  • Reply 42 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopy

Kinetic energy of the methane and ammonia molecules are not all the same, but follow a distribution, so a certain percent do escape, more so than water. The specific gravities are: water -- 18, ammonia -- 17, and methane -- 16.

You did mentioned a reason even more methane and ammonia are lost into space than would be otherwise expected. These two molecules are broken down in the upper atmosphere, due to radiation most likely, and the lighter components escape more easily.

It is true small amounts of gasses are lost into space but it is not a significant amount to explain the much lower levels of methane on Earth. Methane CH4 is burned CH4 + 2O2 → CO2 + 2H2O in the lower atmosphere but the major removal processes is CH4 + –OH → –CH3 + H2 O in the troposphere. Methane has a half life of about 10 years there.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRR

I thought I read somewheres that there were supposedly huge stores of frozen methane (possibly in liquid form) on the ocean floor held there by extremely cold temperatures and pressure... anyone know if that was confirmed?

Myth busted! Methans freezing/melting point is −182.5°C, it's not that cold at the bottom of our oceans.
  • Reply 43 of 45
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    My Grandpa helped build/launch the Galileo probe.

I'm cool by association. Hehe.
  • Reply 44 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AquaMac

Myth busted! Methans freezing/melting point is ?182.5°C, it's not that cold at the bottom of our oceans.

Not that you are wrong about the frozen methane (it is actually methane hydrates, which are semisolid), but mp is highly dependent on pressure...
  • Reply 45 of 45
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
    I was just asking for clarification on the methane- besides, that means there is a whole bunch of methane on earth. Just not in the atmosphere.

I saw some end of world website that was pretty entertaining talking about how a huge release of all the methane deposits would end the world.

heh.