the iPhone is here (very serious mock-up)

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    is the back portion is it silver?

how about some mockups similar to iPod nano and different color, my guess even iPod Video will goto scartch free iPod nano look and one more color silver

silver iPod nano is selling like hotcake, time to include that color in iPod 6th Gen
  • Reply 22 of 70
    All of the above looks like nice work. I'd buy!

Hope it has a standard headphone jack though, not like the Sony Ericsson et al
  • Reply 23 of 70
    I think its important that you're able to turn the phone features off so you can listen to music if you don't want to be disturbed. And this needs to be simple to do maybe a switch at the top or something. Any ideas?

Does anyone know if any of todays phones like the Walkman phone can do this?
  • Reply 24 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rageous

The keypad does not work. It's too busy for an apple design... not to mention a rip of the moto phones.

Yeah... it should only have one button to make the call and the phone will randomly (Shuffle) call a contact in the address book.
  • Reply 25 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jindrich

Ok, here is more how it should look like, quite skinny

I added a standard keypad just to try things out.

OMG now that looks nice, I would buy that.
  • Reply 26 of 70
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    The sharp angles left exposed when the keypad is slid out are a problem. You don't really want an odd shaped cavity in the back of your phone waiting to snag on things, feel uncomfortable in your hand, or get something caught in there that gets wedged in when you go to close it up.

If Apple did go with a sliding keypad design I would imagine they would work out some kind of two axis mechanism so that the pad ends up flush with the rest of the phone when deployed.
  • Reply 27 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox

The sharp angles left exposed when the keypad is slid out are a problem. You don't really want an odd shaped cavity in the back of your phone waiting to snag on things, feel uncomfortable in your hand, or get something caught in there that gets wedged in when you go to close it up.

yes that always happens me when i use my phone under 6 feet of sand... very annoying
  • Reply 28 of 70
    cyko95cyko95 Posts: 391member
    Regarding the beginning of the post, where's the speaker?
  • Reply 29 of 70
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    @ jindrich, simple gorgeous. If Apple make this, I'm there. And I get you took the keypad from a moto, but that's not the point. The design idea is really good.
  • Reply 30 of 70
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member

Linksys Wins and personally I'm not to crazy about it.

Sebastian
  • Reply 31 of 70
    Isn't this design (the jindrich one) at odds with some of the recent recon? Now, no one can be sure if the recon is accurate, but that's another issue. As much as I like slider phones (I have one), supposedly the iPod phone will not be a slider.
  • Reply 32 of 70
    Hi you all again.

Thx for your comments, I'm glad you are liking the design/s above.

I started this iPhone thing of mine more than a year ago. On one side because I was dissapointed at the time with the current cellphones that were on the market, and also because I was hearing for the first time Apple was going to get into this jungle.

So I though about what could make an ideal phone that would satisfy the majority of users, while also integrating some of the iPod's functions, all in the cool Apple style. I started collecting photos of many models, and draw ideas, general approaches and impressions of 3rd party phones on napkins at bars. I did that for about a year.

Now, we're about to enter 2007 and i think it's definetely time for Apple to seriously shake the cellphone industry once and for all.

The iPhone could be subsidized with many operators and be sold at the SAME price everywhere, but also could be sold as well as a FREE unit, from the Apple store, just like the iPod. Don't see a problem even if it's only sold on the Apple Store (not subsidized).

On another note, I believe Apple shouldnt focus only on the phone, but on the whole EXPERIENCE of having and using cellphone. And one thing muss prevale above all: KISS (keep it simple, stupid). That means the phone should be not only great as a device, but also easy to use and THINK BEFORE you do. Key points here are INTEGRATION with other devices, mostly computers.

Then there are MANY functionalities that can be integrated into a cellphone. Do you need all of them? Not everyone, but some do, therefore I see the possibility of having 2 iPhones, who'd share a common software platform:

-The iPhone, like the Macbook, for everyone aged 12 till 99

-The iPhone Pro, for advanced users (key use of handwriting recognition)

For now i will focus on the iPhone alone, leaving the iPhone Pro for a later post.

On the Hardware side, that's what the iPhone should include:

-Same screen size as current 5G iPods, but laid-out vertically

-Retain familiar iPod controls, standard headphone jack and lock-switch above

-keep wheel as interface. Still deciding whether the "answer/hang-up" buttons should be included. If not, how can you NOT respond to a call? what if you're doing something else while getting a call? What if you need to chek a number WHILE having a call? the "green+red" buttons are simple and understood by everyone, and would avoid excessive menu paging....

-BIGGEST possible KEYPAD. Comfort, speed and easyness are premium here. DONT SKIP ON THIS.

-The above two points, leads us to a slide type of phone as best design

-Longest battery life possible, crucial when used as both iPod and phone

-2 Mpixel photo camera with auto focus and flash. Not 1mpx, not 3mpx. Just a great 2mpx to serve the sentence "the BEST camera is the one you have WITH you"

-4GB flash memory to store music, files and other data

On the Software side, that's what the iPhone should include:

-VERY SIMPLE software. Not that many features. Calls, Camera, SMS, Agenda, Organizer (iCal, TextEdit and Alarms), Player (Music, Photos, Videos), File Manager, Settings. END (ok, make room for 3rd party games if you want)

-The iPhone should be OS agnostic, and some kind of Windows software should be included to manage all this (like with the iPod), but the iPhone should also be another Trojan Horse to move users to the Mac platform (better integration).

-Retain same functionality as current iPods (audiowise)

-iPhone can be used also as a storing device for any kind of files, that can be easily transferred trough Bluetooth2 (ocasionally and for short files, anytime to any computer) or thruthe typical USB2 (obviously MUCH faster, bulk downloads).

-TOTAL SEAMLESS INTEGRATION with other devices:

A) auto SYNC WITH COMPUTERS!!! Not only for music/tunes, but also for CONTACTS, PHONELIST and yes, SMS and PHOTOS/VIDEOS too.

B) Don't have a webcamera for your PC? leave the iPhone on his craddle and you got one! (iChat, Skype...etc).

C) Go to your friends place, do you want to see my latest homemade video or travel photos? connect the iPhone's craddle or a special cable (3rd parties come in ;-) to his TV set and amaze him.

Ok, that's it for now. Later I'll continue with all this, and also talk about the iPhone Pro.
  • Reply 33 of 70
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trendannoyer

yes that always happens me when i use my phone under 6 feet of sand... very annoying

Yeah. Because there is no middle ground between "no problem at all" and "six feet of sand".
  • Reply 34 of 70
    Quote:

[jindrich]Ok, here is more how it should look like, quite skinny

I added a standard keypad just to try things out.

I'll tell ya, I'm really not a fan of slide-out keyboard since it's easy to pinch your fingers on the damn things. Clamshell keyboard for text entry?... maybe.
  • Reply 35 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

I'll tell ya, I'm really not a fan of slide-out keyboard since it's easy to pinch your fingers on the damn things. Clamshell keyboard for text entry?... maybe.

I've never had that problem, but on the other hand I detest flip phones and hinged parts in general.

I have been using the old LG "Slider" for two years now.
  • Reply 36 of 70
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

The only thing I think Apple might change about that design (beside the Moto keypad) are those red + green buttons on the phone (they wouldn't exist), instead they might make the centre button change color. When you start typing a phone number on the keypad or you choose a number from your phonebook it would light up green, which you would press to make a call, and when on a call it would change color to red which you could press at any time to hang up. It would make for an even more efficient, minimalist and stylish phone/iPod. If the phone rang you would hear it ringing, but the centre button could also flash green to indicate it's ringing, but also to indicate you must press that button to answer.

p.s. they would also make the shape more comfortable for when pressed against a persons face. (try holding a 5th Gen iPod to your cheek, owch!)
  • Reply 37 of 70
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    LoopRumors has a supposed leaked image of the iPhone. I think it's a fake. The dimensions seem all wrong and I think the idea of a trackpad on a phone is absurd. No one would put up with it. The graphics for the UI also seem ridiculous.

You can see it here: iPhone?

If this phone is 2.2" wide, it'd have to be over 5 inches long.
  • Reply 38 of 70
    Your image isn't working, but yeah I saw it?crazy crazy idea that wouldn't work.

I still like the LG KE850 if Apple's doing a touchscreen phone (The NEC n908 is nice too). If anyone's seen the Sony Ericsson Z610's OLED outer display where it doesn't seem to exist until something happens, that would be seriously cool for a main display.

No Display? Display!

I still think slider or touchscreen are the likely options. It doesn't matter so much for the U.S. market yet but if Apple wants to hang onto market share in Europe and Japan then iPod phone needs to see the light of day soon.
  • Reply 39 of 70
    In addition, there's absolutely no way Apple would release any materials that say "iPhone".
  • Reply 40 of 70
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    What if Apple's iPod phone had two displays? One could be a full color LCD and the other could be a simple OLED or something for the variety of controls like virtual clickwheel and keypad. Just a wild and crazy thought. I still think a small device that's all display would work well. A nano coating would take care of the fingerprints.

Electric Monk, thanks for the cool links.