Let's assume that the new iMac isn't getting a new form factor...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
So we know that:



Engineering problem 1: The iMac G4 design came about because Apple has to engineer an LCD in to a case but that the slot-loading optical drives couldn't take being mounted vertically so the iLamp, Dome, et cetra design came up.



Engineering problem 2: The iMac G5 design came around because of the cost of the iMac G4's neck.



Well this year there is no engineering problem to overcome so I don't believe we'll see a re-designed case but how about new features for the 2007 iMac - touchscreen.



- A touchscreen has already had the appropriate patents applied for.

- Ink/handwriting recognition has been largely hidden in the OS for some time.

- iLife/Finder would largely work very well with simple point and click type motions.

- HP have just announced an AIO touch screen machine.

- Although this is more far-fetched the keyboard could even appear on a particular stroke as a semi transparent overlay for short data entry.



And before you all scream "fingerprints" well I often use my PDA with a finger rather than getting the stylus out and I've never noticed a print.



Any thoughts?
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 46
    irelandireland Posts: 17,623member
    A touch screen iMac is about as useful as a touchcreen-lump-of-coal. So your telling us you want to become blind. Desktops aren't touchcreen because they were never meant to be, tablets are touchcreen because they were meant to be, it's that simple.



    Noboby said new form factor meant radical new form factor. Whatever happened to evolving the current design. i.e. more function, more power, thinner, slimmer and more streamlined. Besides there's always the black iMac that I predicted for 2007 earlier this year.
  • Reply 2 of 46
    Anyone remeber the article earlier this year about how having some sensors inbetween the pixels on the screen, they could turn the screen into a camera?



    That would be pretty cool on the new imac, especially if you could use the screen as a scanner! (and it would get rid of the isight camera aswell)



    stu
  • Reply 3 of 46
    I could think of a million uses for a "magic mirror" computer screen that would be a full screen camera sensor and monitor. I think the original technology with these properties was developed by Texas Instruments quite some time ago (forgive me if I'm mistaken). How many different surfaces could be made into looking glasses...
  • Reply 4 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland


    A touch screen iMac is about as useful as a touchcreen-lump-of-coal. So your telling us you want to become blind. Desktops aren't touchcreen because they were never meant to be, tablets are touchcreen because they were meant to be, it's that simple.



    actually, a touchscreen imac would be quite nice (or something in an imac form) for retouchers. wacom already has a tablet screen that lets you retouch directly onto the image and it's really expensive. i've never used it but i imagine it's pretty nice for retouching.
  • Reply 5 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by admactanium


    actually, a touchscreen imac would be quite nice (or something in an imac form) for retouchers. wacom already has a tablet screen that lets you retouch directly onto the image and it's really expensive. i've never used it but i imagine it's pretty nice for retouching.



    I've used the Wacom Cintiq at the DV Expo for a coupla minutes. It was interesting, but not compelling enough to warrant the cost. Mucho dinero. I wouldn't mind having a touchscreen iMac. That would be fantastic for FCPro, Soundtrack, GarageBand... anything that would usually involve control surfaces, knobs, sliders, etc. in the analog realm.
  • Reply 6 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland


    A touch screen iMac is about as useful as a touchcreen-lump-of-coal.



    Well I think that's a little over the top. 30mths ago approx 90% or 18-34yr old Americans believed touch screens were the way ahead. Now either the data is 2 years old and out of date because something better has come along... or we are still awaiting the technology to get to an acceptable price point.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland


    Noboby said new form factor meant radical new form factor. Whatever happened to evolving the current design. i.e. more function, more power, thinner, slimmer and more streamlined. Besides there's always the black iMac that I predicted for 2007 earlier this year.



    True, but thinner still - not by much.



    I am surprised that the choice of colour hasn't appeared in the desktop lines especially in the Mac Mini where it's very likely to be placed along side a consumer's existing products.



    More function? well I can't see eSATA getting an appearance and although I'd like to see a card reader I can't see that either. Right now I can't think of another technology the iMac needs or would be desirable.



    I actually think touch screen would be a huge break-through in how we interact with our computers. For many the keyboard is a barrier (ever used a Mac in a foreign Internet Cafe?) I'd love to organise photos in iPhoto by touch and drag.
  • Reply 7 of 46
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes


    So we know that:



    ...

    Engineering problem 2: The iMac G5 design came around because of the cost of the iMac G4's neck.



    Well this year there is no engineering problem to overcome so I don't believe we'll see a re-designed case but how about new features for the 2007 iMac - touchscreen.



    - A touchscreen has already had the appropriate patents applied for.

    - Ink/handwriting recognition has been largely hidden in the OS for some time.

    - iLife/Finder would largely work very well with simple point and click type motions.

    - HP have just announced an AIO touch screen machine.

    - Although this is more far-fetched the keyboard could even appear on a particular stroke as a semi transparent overlay for short data entry.



    And before you all scream "fingerprints" well I often use my PDA with a finger rather than getting the stylus out and I've never noticed a print.



    Any thoughts?



    I LOVE that neck and it is the main reason I'm still happily using both my 15" (well my wife is using that) and my 20" iMac G4 for things I don't need anything later on.



    I've been tempted, of course, to move to the CHIN, especially now with the 24", but I just cannot bear giving up that flexibility, convenience and design. I've got one of those things that let me twirl around my 23" Cinema display, but the chords get in the way.....



    If we went to touchscreen-- and the idea has appeal, though i'd rather have a gyroscopic mouse first-- then the mobility of the iMac G4 might be essential.
  • Reply 8 of 46
    No touch screen. The point of touch screen is that it is a better interface than what is possible at the size of the device. With a full sized device (iMac/Computer/w.e) you don't need a touch screen. Small PDA's need touch screens, because you cant have a mouse.
  • Reply 9 of 46
    irelandireland Posts: 17,623member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball


    No touch screen. The point of touch screen is that it is a better interface than what is possible at the size of the device. With a full sized device (iMac/Computer/w.e) you don't need a touch screen. Small PDA's need touch screens, because you cant have a mouse.



    Exactly..
  • Reply 10 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland


    A touch screen iMac is about as useful as a touchcreen-lump-of-coal. So your telling us you want to become blind. Desktops aren't touchcreen because they were never meant to be, tablets are touchcreen because they were meant to be, it's that simple.



    Noboby said new form factor meant radical new form factor. Whatever happened to evolving the current design. i.e. more function, more power, thinner, slimmer and more streamlined. Besides there's always the black iMac that I predicted for 2007 earlier this year.



    the idea of a touch screen is about as UN farfetched as some of YOUR suggestions... come on! stop jumping down peoples necks when your own ideas COULD be seen as "just as whacky"



    we dont KNOW
  • Reply 11 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball


    No touch screen. The point of touch screen is that it is a better interface than what is possible at the size of the device. With a full sized device (iMac/Computer/w.e) you don't need a touch screen. Small PDA's need touch screens, because you cant have a mouse.



    Exactly the opposite.



    The mouse is a terrible interface device. Look at someone else use one. It takes forever to do anything. They drag it over to their target, then they miss, then they play putt-putt for like 5 minutes trying to hit it.



    You don't realize it yourself because you're too involved in your game of mini-golf, but mouses are black holes for productivity. With a touch screen you'd get work done 5x faster, easily. Especially for graphic designers and illustrators. It'll also completely enable new classes of applications, like say for DJ-ing.
  • Reply 12 of 46
    irelandireland Posts: 17,623member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trendannoyer


    the idea of a touch screen is about as UN farfetched as some of YOUR suggestions... come on! stop jumping down peoples necks when your own ideas COULD be seen as "just as whacky"



    we dont KNOW



    The iMac isn't even positioned for touching, it would be a useless add-on expense. The last thing the user wants to be doing is lifting their hand up to the screen every time they want to close a Window or change a tab.
  • Reply 13 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich


    I've used the Wacom Cintiq at the DV Expo for a coupla minutes. It was interesting, but not compelling enough to warrant the cost. Mucho dinero. I wouldn't mind having a touchscreen iMac. That would be fantastic for FCPro, Soundtrack, GarageBand... anything that would usually involve control surfaces, knobs, sliders, etc. in the analog realm.



    exactly, it's not compelling because of the price. but apple has a pretty good history with knocking down the price on products that were previously only available from other vendors at higher prices. so a touchscreen imac or tablet/screen would be great for retouching and all the other things you mention. i'm surprised no other computer manufacturer has ever bothered to make a touchscreen interface for their computers as an alternative to the keyboard and mouse.
  • Reply 14 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat


    Exactly the opposite.



    The mouse is a terrible interface device. Look at someone else use one. It takes forever to do anything. They drag it over to their target, then they miss, then they play putt-putt for like 5 minutes trying to hit it.



    You don't realize it yourself because you're too involved in your game of mini-golf, but mouses are black holes for productivity. With a touch screen you'd get work done 5x faster, easily. Especially for graphic designers and illustrators. It'll also completely enable new classes of applications, like say for DJ-ing.



    NO!



    Verticle touch screens are shit ergonomically and would make people less productive! The mouse is a most excellent UI, I don't know what the hell you are talking about mini golf or some stupid shit like that. Try editing video with a touch screen. Not fun.
  • Reply 15 of 46
    irelandireland Posts: 17,623member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball


    NO!



    Verticle touch screens are shit ergonomically and would make people less productive! The mouse is a most excellent UI, I don't know what the hell you are talking about mini golf or some stupid shit like that. Try editing video with a touch screen. Not fun.



    This guy is making sense.
  • Reply 16 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball


    NO!



    Verticle touch screens are shit ergonomically and would make people less productive! The mouse is a most excellent UI, I don't know what the hell you are talking about mini golf or some stupid shit like that. Try editing video with a touch screen. Not fun.



    Flat, tablet touch screen is the answer. No different than working on a pad of paper. I would love to edit video with additional touch screen capabilities, in addition to control surface support.
  • Reply 17 of 46
    What about a device that would sort of work like a 2nd monitor, but that would replace the keyboard? I am not sure how to describe what I am imagining, but I'll give it a shot.



    Imagine a keyboard sized 2nd screen that sat in front of you, just as a keyboard. With a resize/minimizable keyboard screen, and the ability to "snap" images from your "primary" monitor to the "keyboard". I imagine some sort of dashboard type effect could also be made use of. Basically a small "monitor" that you could drag things to, from your view screen monitor. That would be handy for certain palettes, and the like. Image size would have to be different, I imagine, for you to be able to navigate with your fingers, but it would make for a very dynamic keyboard if it were feasible.. Sounds complex, but it would be more then a glorified trackpad with it's adaptability.



    As far as the iMac being redesigned, I hope not. I personally can't imagine how Apple could improve on the design of the iMac, or MBP, (aside from the slimmer, quieter, etc). That maybe why they don't ask me when they come up with all their great stuff, though.
  • Reply 18 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball


    NO!



    Verticle touch screens are shit ergonomically and would make people less productive! The mouse is a most excellent UI, I don't know what the hell you are talking about mini golf or some stupid shit like that. Try editing video with a touch screen. Not fun.



    Re: minigolf- look up Fitt's Law.



    Editing video on a touch screen would be an orgasm and a half: you've got ten fingers, but only one mouse.
  • Reply 19 of 46
    irelandireland Posts: 17,623member
    iMac redesign:



    1. Thinner bezel (half the size).

    2. Slighter thinner computer.

    3. Ditching of the glossy cover over the Mac, replaced by a more solid looking one-layer material.

    4. Black and White.

    5. Gray Apple LOGO for both colors.

    6. Black Keyboard and Black Mighty mouse to go with the Black iMac, entry point to the enterprise.
  • Reply 20 of 46
    irelandireland Posts: 17,623member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat


    Editing video on a touch screen would be an orgasm and a half: you've got ten fingers, but only one mouse.



    You don't get it.
Sign In or Register to comment.