Apple to answer the Street's iPhone call on time

Comments

• Reply 41 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fanboy_uk

...I can see why someone might want to listen to music when not on the phone, but I have 40GB 4Gen iPod. I want to listen to this and then have the phone pause playback when I receive or make a call...

With my SonyEricsson v600i (y'all going to be hearing a lot of this during iPhone threads, I have to say...) the music in the playlist plays AACs nice. I had a call come through, press a little button next to the earphone, took the call, chatted, caller hung up, automatically returned me right where I was in my actual song I was listening to. <borat>veerrry naiiiice, yesss?</borat>
  • Reply 42 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by woofer

I'd like to see a design that would use a bluetooth ear piece for phone operations as the only way to talk and listen. There would not be a microphone or earpiece built into the body of the iphone. If you wanted to listen to music (ipod) then another set of bluetooth stereo earbuds or plugs would be used. A regular TRS mini plug jack would also be in the body of the phone to plug in wired earbuds. You would never have to hold the phone body up to your greasy ear to use it.

There should be a bluetooth headphone set, just one set, that works for everything - calls, music, etc...
  • Reply 43 of 72
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I am really interested to see how this all plays out.
  • Reply 44 of 72
    The FCC issue makes an early announcement with a big speech at MacWorld SF seem likely to me.

Steve can do a "smallish" press event to introduce the phone. Then file all the paperwork with the FCC so that it will be cleared in time for a MacWorld SF launch.

Isn't the iTV supposed to be launched at MWSF? If so, an iPhone announcement at the same time really divides the attention of the press and consumers. Perhaps a BIG iPhone announcement SOON, and then a small mention of it at MWSF?

Whatever. It looks like the iPhone is really going to happen. Now it's just a matter of waiting for the curtain to be pulled.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 45 of 72
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TednDi

Nice to see you back Rolo!

I still think that your TV info will play out in the coming year and that everyone will owe you an apology.

Thanks, Ted. The truth can finally be told. I got the bit about Apple's TV effort from a guy who used to write for Think Secret. He is now living abroad. He got the info from within Apple and his sources were usually within Cupertino or Apple UK. Apple sometimes launches deliberate misinformation campaigns, especially leading up to major events, to throw people off the scent of what's really coming.

The interesting part of that Apple TV rumor is that a goodly part of it is actually panning out in the form of iTV which does indeed have version 2 of Front Row and is based on the Intel Viiv platform. The part of that rumor that doesn't seem to be panning out is the marrying of iTV with a large flat panel display. It seems appropriate to keep them as separate parts. Apple is rumored to be coming out with a larger LCD and some other new displays.

Anyway, I sure hope some coolness pans out for this iPhone deal. That LG KE850 seems like a good idea so I hope Apple will do it far better.
  • Reply 46 of 72
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo

Thanks, Ted. The truth can finally be told. I got the bit about Apple's TV effort from a guy who used to write for Think Secret. He is now living abroad. He got the info from within Apple and his sources were usually within Cupertino or Apple UK. Apple sometimes launches deliberate misinformation campaigns, especially leading up to major events, to throw people off the scent of what's really coming.

The interesting part of that Apple TV rumor is that a goodly part of it is actually panning out in the form of iTV which does indeed have version 2 of Front Row and is based on the Intel Viiv platform. The part of that rumor that doesn't seem to be panning out is the marrying of iTV with a large flat panel display. It seems appropriate to keep them as separate parts. Apple is rumored to be coming out with a larger LCD and some other new displays.

Anyway, I sure hope some coolness pans out for this iPhone deal. That LG KE850 seems like a good idea so I hope Apple will do it far better.

I wasn't around AI when you were talking about the Apple TV, I just thought up the Apple TV idea myself (unaware it was already after been rumored), but people kept on saying stuff to me like "were you talking to Rolo, cue Rolo, where is Rolo & you sound like Rolo". I have the destinct feeling after iTV is a success (which it no doubt will be) that Apple will sell TV's, and they will bundle iTV inside them. Giving the consumer out-of-the-box-connectivity, with one less box in the house. You should join in the conversation over here: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=69410 I'd be intrigued to hear what you have to say on the subject.

- Ireland
  • Reply 47 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

...but people kept on saying stuff to me like "were you talking to Rolo, cue Rolo, where is Rolo & you sound like Rolo"...

Also people were saying things like "Rolo, wherefore art the plasmas, Rolo?"
  • Reply 48 of 72
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    get the freak over the iPhone. I gurantee that my $49 nokia can do something it cant. Let me not care about it - at all. I dropped a couple of bricks on my phone (from a decent height), had a freind pore a beer on it (long story) and it still worked. I wouldn't be willing to do that with an iphone, given that it would be expensive and pretty
  • Reply 49 of 72
    iq78iq78 Posts: 256member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57

Whoever bases their investment decisions on day to day rumours is stupid beyond belief.

UNLESS, you are a day trader who bases your decisions on the fact that OTHER bafoons base their decisions on rumors!!!

Don't know how much I've made selling short then buying low on the simple fact that people sell their stock based on rumors.

If people are making mistakes, someone can profit.
  • Reply 50 of 72
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fanboy_uk

Here's an idea. AniPhone with widgets?!

There are any number of useful widget apps out there that a mobile user would love to access. Flight details, train times, currency convertors, games etc. They could even use the same switch view that Tiger does when you switch to widgets.

My ideal iPhone though would be one that worked seamlessly with my iPod. I can see why someone might want to listen to music when not on the phone, but I have 40GB 4Gen iPod. I want to listen to this and then have the phone pause playback when I receive or make a call.

You're a tad late, however, you are "spot on", Mr. Powers!

V/R & Merry Christmas!

Aries 1B
  • Reply 51 of 72
    This could make sense. The iPodPhone would be all the bits of Mac OS X that you need to take with you - diary, contacts, music, communications (voice, video conferencing, email, web). A way to compliment your main computer, not supplant it (like the UMPC tried to do, and failed).

.Mac 2.0 becomes the online 'service plan' that ties it all together.

If this is what it turns out to be then sign me up for version 1.1
  • Reply 52 of 72
    Mustt... nottt... relentt... *shuffle* *plonk!*

Oh darn it, and I told myself I wouldn't join the iPhone party. Now I WANT one. (Add that to the list. A Nikon D80, a MacBook, a shuffle and now, iPhone). The digital crave consumes us all, I fear.

But boy, is all this exciting!

*sees Rolo* Fun times a year ago, eh? 8) *waves*
  • Reply 53 of 72
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    It's here

Well sort of.
  • Reply 54 of 72
    New iPhones out from Linksys. (CNET.com)

It puts things in perspective ...
  • Reply 55 of 72
    With Lynksys trying to cash in on the Apple related iPhone rumors Apple may be able to require a large disclaimer on the iPhone box stating that the iPhone is not associated with, nor endorsed by, Apple Computer. Lots of stickers to be hand applied. In the end I don't think the use of the name will be the cash cow the marketing types at Linksys anticipates - and the initial reaction might not be all that positive.
  • Reply 56 of 72
    Does anyone else find it funny that Apple sues websites for "leaking" info, but at Morgan Stanley it's called "research" and "reputable industry contacts"? What's that about?

"Rebecca Runkle, an analyst for Morgan Stanley who retains reputable industry contacts, recently corroborated evidence of a dual-model strategy through her own proprietary checks. She told clients in a research note this week the phones will sport a metal-clad enclosure..."
  • Reply 57 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius

Crap! I was almost rejoicing the fact that we got through an entire day without an iPhone rumor being posted.

Appleiinsider, how much would readers have to contribute monetarily to be given a day's break from the deluge of iPhone rumors? I'm sure if it were a reasonable amount, there would be enough donations to reach the designated amount.

At this point, if it doesn't come from an official Apple source (and preferably directly from Steve Jobs), I don't want to hear about it when it comes to the iPhone.

ummm, here's an idea: just don't read the posts
  • Reply 58 of 72
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Datadawn

Does anyone else find it funny that Apple sues websites for "leaking" info, but at Morgan Stanley it's called "research" and "reputable industry contacts"? What's that about?

"Rebecca Runkle, an analyst for Morgan Stanley who retains reputable industry contacts, recently corroborated evidence of a dual-model strategy through her own proprietary checks. She told clients in a research note this week the phones will sport a metal-clad enclosure..."

The difference is that the analysts pretend to have more information than they really do, whereas ThinkSecret had some true inside info, convincing employees to breach their NDAs.
  • Reply 59 of 72
    Thanks for that response re: "leaking".

Thought it was something like that...

Those who Can - Do.

Those who Can't - Teach. Right?
  • Reply 60 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper

FWIW: This is just our second or third proprietary piece on the subject. But yes, we do cover the vast majority of external reports (that seem plausible). Sorry if you feel inundated by the reports -- we do too -- but iPhone is one of two big things for Apple right now. There's no avoiding, brotha.

Best,

K

He is right: Look at the impact that this phone stuff is having on Apple's stock price.... there are billions changing hands every day based on these rumors (admittedly, with stupidly short attention spans and with zero real information).

I am concerned that Apple, which has already morphed in the market's mindset from a "Mac" company to an "iPod" company, is now morphing into a mobile phone hardware company a la Nokia(and this last-mentioned before the darn product has even been introduced!).

PS: I am not sucking up to an administrator!