Apple Retail plans second Scotland location for 2007

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Computer plans to open a retail store inside Scotland's capital city of Edinburgh during the 2007 calendar year, AppleInsider has learned.



People familiar with the matter say the company recently secured retail space along the Edinburgh's main shopping strip on Princes Street.



Apple is expected to begin renovations at the unspecified location shortly for an opening sometime next year.



For the iPod maker, the Princes Street location will mark the second Scotland-based retail shop slated for the new year. It will operate alongside a similar location out of Glasgow.



According to a building planning application filed with Glasgow's Planning and Development agency, Apple will spend an estimated £1,1,68,000 to renovate a building at 147 Buchanan Street for that location.



The two Scotland locations are believed to be part of an Apple Retail "hit list" of some 20 additional UK-based retail store fronts the company is looking to move on over the next couple of years.







During a May 2005 visit to the Apple Store Regent Street in London, company chief executive Steve Jobs commented to one shopper that Apple's first France-based retail store would open in 2007.



According to reports, Apple has been seeking a prime location on the famed Champs Elysées in Paris since 2003.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 21
    I like to see Apple retail expanding globally like this. More Apple stores in Europe is a great thing!
  • Reply 2 of 21
    As I've said before, Apple ought to make a limited edition MacBook, not in black or white, but decked out in MacIntosh tartan!



    C'mon, Scotland gave us the name we use for our computers (a Scottish family developed the Macintosh apple here in America), they oughta get something a little special.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Yeah, yeah. So what about the rest of Europe which isn't Britain?
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Dublin would be a good start, the rents are massive but if they got a good location they could be really effective in the irish market...
  • Reply 5 of 21
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Next step, every other bloody country in Europe!!! Including Ireland!
  • Reply 6 of 21
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Graphite


    Dublin would be a good start, the rents are massive but if they got a good location they could be really effective in the irish market...



    Dublin, Waterford, Cork and Belfast. They'd clean up in Waterford beside Smiths Toy Store, it's about 15 mins walk from the centre of the city in the newly developed areas. If I had to guess I say about 5000+ visitors visit Smiths each week, about 15000+ last week. Every kid in Waterford would want a Mac, iPod, iTV and an iPhone, and they would drag their parents in there.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    mmm champs elysées, that'd be spectacular. forget the cube in manhattan.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland


    Next step, every other bloody country in Europe!!! Including Ireland!



    Yer next!
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Lovely. I'm living in Glasgow until the summer, and then moving back to Edinburgh. Postively spoilt for choice. Good work Apple! I might be attending some opening days looking for a few bargains! What are the deals normally like?
  • Reply 10 of 21
    W00T!



    Can feel that Apple lovin'. Thanks Steve, it was the right choice. Now that my home town's covered, feel free to open a new flagship in Dubai!
  • Reply 11 of 21
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,787member
    As I sit by the Gulf of Mexico in Florida where I now live, reading this I am very glad I sold out and retired as Managing Director of Apple Center Edinburgh a while back! I can't imagine what the teeth gnashing of the poor owners of the current independent Apple dealers must sound like. Poor sods!
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Hurrah for Scotland!



    Now hurry up Apple and open one up in Bristol or Swindon, huge gap in the south west of England.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips


    As I sit by the Gulf of Mexico in Florida where I now live, reading this I am very glad I sold out and retired as Managing Director of Apple Center Edinburgh a while back!





    Seriously? Small world huh.



    Scotsys is a nice little place, only re-modelled this very month, but it's hopelessly inadequate for getting hands on with a good selection of new models and completely unequipped for the conference room stuff real Apple Stores put on as part of standard service. Just too small. I hope they find a way to diversify for when this present from Cupertino hits. Edinburgh's a town already littered with small computer shops, and an Apple Store on Princes Street of all places is going to be a huge new player!
  • Reply 14 of 21
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fuyutsuki


    Seriously? Small world huh.



    Scotsys is a nice little place, only re-modelled this very month, but it's hopelessly inadequate for getting hands on with a good selection of new models and completely unequipped for the conference room stuff real Apple Stores put on as part of standard service. Just too small. I hope they find a way to diversify for when this present from Cupertino hits. Edinburgh's a town already littered with small computer shops, and an Apple Store on Princes Street of all places is going to be a huge new player!



    I was in Scotsys four months ago. Edinburgh holiers, yay! Could you post pics of the updated design?
  • Reply 15 of 21
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich


    Yer next!



    I love you, in a truly hetrosexual way
  • Reply 16 of 21
    I think that a possible location for it cvould be the former Littlewoods building which is currently Marks & Spencer (M&S). M&S are currently moving out of of that building so it would free up a unit that would be sufficient in size for an Apple Store.



    Only other option I can see is the Bookworld building but I think that would be too small.



    Edinburgh Council's planning permissions site shows nothing relating to Apple for Princes Street at this time.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    What sort of a number is £1,1,68,000 ?



    I assume they mean £1,168,000
  • Reply 18 of 21
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post


    Yeah, yeah. So what about the rest of Europe which isn't Britain?



    Well Italy and France are expecting one soon as well. But I agree the rest of Europe would benefit. There are still too few in the UK though, the west country needs one.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fieldy View Post


    I think that a possible location for it cvould be the former Littlewoods building which is currently Marks & Spencer (M&S). M&S are currently moving out of of that building so it would free up a unit that would be sufficient in size for an Apple Store.



    I believe Primark are snapping that one up.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Bump bump. Anyone any more info on the Edinburgh store?



    I see The Pier have moved out of the store on Buchanan Street in Glasgow, and it can't be long now until Apple start work there, but it is all very quiet on the Edinburgh front.
Sign In or Register to comment.