What will Apple call their Phone? THE BIGGER PICTURE!!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I don’t write for the Washington Post or the New York Times, but who cares about that, that’s not the point here.

I felt compelled to write this post as I think a lot of people are missing the bigger picture with regard to this products name.

If this phone is announced at Macworld, and Apple are not allowed use the name iPhone for one reason or another, i.e. don’t have the Trademark, or can’t get permission to use the name from the Trademark owner, then there is only one option left in Apple’s eyes I believe, and it’s really rather simple.

Let’s go through a few points first:

* Apple likes to keep its product names simple.

* They like to convey what each particular product does or is, by their respective names.

* They like to name their products in a simple and logical way.

* Apple likes their product names to sound different, yet be easy to remember.

* The iPod is one of the strongest brands in the world right now, Apple wont want to mess with that.

* The general consensus on the internets right now is that it will be an iPod first, and a phone second.

Using the above points as rules for a new set of points based on Apple’s recent product naming history, let’s see what we discover:

* Apple’s recent product names for its whole lineup of hardware is starting to form a pattern.

* Apple wanted to make a little iPod with the concept of shuffling music as its main selling point. Thus the iPod Shuffle.

* Apple wanted to make a mini version of it’s popular iPod music player. Thus the iPod Mini.

* Apple wanted to make an even smaller version of the iPod Mini, and emphasize its tininess. Thus the iPod Nano.

Are we seeing a pattern here? Simple right?

So the general consensus is that this product will be an iPod first, and a phone second.. hmmm?

As in like this?

Looks like your average iPod, until you pop out the keypad and then it becomes a phone.

Yes, like that!

Well in that case why not call it the iPod Phone?

* iPod Shuffle

* iPod Mini

* iPod Nano

&

* iPod Phone

iPod + Phone = iPod Phone.

So if they can't get iPhone, they'll use iPod Phone.

Keep it simple right? That’s what I say - and I suspect Apple is saying the same. It’s really not very complicated when you think about it.

- Ireland

PS, if Apple makes a smart-phone to introduce later in the year, they could easily call it iPod SmartPhone®

So if you wanted to describe what type of new Apple phone you’ve got, to one of your friends over the phone, the conversation would go something like this;

X. So I heard you got a new Apple phone? Which one is it?

Y. It’s the SmartPhone!

X. You luck devil you, I just have the phone... but it’s an iPod Phone, so I’m still happy.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Yes, but what if it is more than just an ipod + phone

ipod Pro?

Powerpod?

iGiveup?
  • Reply 2 of 63
    Quote:

I felt compelled to write this post as I think a lot of people are missing the bigger picture with regard to this products name.

iThink someone needs the iPod phone to have auto text formatting to insert apostrophes where they are missed?
  • Reply 3 of 63
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TednDi

Yes, but what if it is more than just an ipod + phone

1. iPod Phone = music playing cellphone.

2. iPod Smartphone = music + video playing smartphone.
  • Reply 4 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by G_Warren

iThink someone needs the iPod phone to have auto text formatting to insert apostrophes where they are missed?

Oh do shut up.
  • Reply 5 of 63
    Ireland - This is correct logic

I still think the generic name "iPod" was so called so it could be a container for what ever you wanted it for - it just so happens the nav and initial offering made music so very simple.

So I still think you should only need 1 iPod device - over time its abilities increase, though we are not much past the music stage and we're 5 years on - so I am dissapointed.

So there now might be a true fork in the road for the ipod *propper* to 2 distinct products :

So 2nd *Mega* Generation splits like so:

MEDIA device (continuation and development)

COMMUNICATION device (with media functionality - though will be spun the other way)

Perhaps they will come together in the 3rd *Mega* generation of the device?

perhaps this should already be considered into future naming.

Perhaps what this future product will do make derivatives irrelevent so reverts back to the oringinal name in the true spirt of the concept:

iPod

/u1
  • Reply 6 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by G_Warren View Post

I think the iPod phone should analyze sentences and correct the punctuation when one puts a question mark where a period would be more appropriate.
  • Reply 7 of 63
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I don?t write for the Washington Post or the New York Times, but who cares about that, that?s not the point here.

If this phone is announced at Macworld, and Apple are not allowed use the name iPhone for one reason or another, i.e. don?t have the Trademark, or can?t get permission to use the name from the Trademark owner, then there is only one option left in Apple?s eyes I believe, and it?s really rather simple.

Let?s go through a few points first:

* They like to convey what each particular product does or is, by their respective names.

* The iPod is one of the strongest brands in the world right now, Apple wont want to mess with that.

* The general consensus on the internets right now is that it will be an iPod first, and a phone second.

Using the above points as rules for a new set of points based on Apple?s recent product naming history, let?s see what we discover:

* Apple?s recent product names for its whole lineup of hardware is starting to form a pattern.

* Apple wanted to make a little iPod with the concept of shuffling music as its main selling point. Thus the iPod Shuffle.

* Apple wanted to make a mini version of it?s popular iPod music player. Thus the iPod Mini.

* Apple wanted to make an even smaller version of the iPod Mini, and emphasize its tininess. Thus the iPod Nano.

So the general consensus is that this product will be an iPod first, and a phone second.. hmmm?

As in like this?

Looks like you're average iPod, until you pop out the keypad and then it becomes a phone.

Yes, like that!

* iPod Shuffle

* iPod Mini

* iPod Nano

&

* iPod Phone

So if they can't get iPhone, thye'll use iPod Phone.

Keep it simple right? That?s what I say - and I suspect Apple is saying the same. It?s really not very complicated when you think about it.

- Ireland

digg

zzzzzzzzzzzz

• Reply 8 of 63
    Quote:

I don?t write for the Washington Post or the New York Times, but who cares about that, that?s not the point here.

If this phone is announced at Macworld, and Apple are not allowed use the name iPhone for one reason or another, i.e. don?t have the Trademark, or can?t get permission to use the name from the Trademark owner, then there is only one option left in Apple?s eyes I believe, and it?s really rather simple.

Let?s go through a few points first:

Using the above points as rules for a new set of points based on Apple?s recent product naming history, let?s see what we discover:

* Apple?s recent product names for its whole lineup of hardware is starting to form a pattern.

* Apple wanted to make a mini version of it?s popular iPod music player. Thus the iPod Mini.

As in like this?

Looks like you're average iPod, until you pop out the keypad and then it becomes a phone.

Yes, like that!

* iPod Shuffle

* iPod Mini

* iPod Nano

&

* iPod Phone

So if they can't get iPhone, thye'll use iPod Phone.

Keep it simple right? That?s what I say - and I suspect Apple is saying the same. It?s really not very complicated when you think about it.

- Ireland

digg

ireland i think youre right that its a bigger picture but i think they are going to leave ipod all together and create a new line.

what they are releasing really has nothing to do with the ipod. they made that five years ago and now they want to revolutionize something else. strong word but its the truth. when they wanted to introduce something to the mp3 market they didnt throw a mac at the problem they thought of something new...something that would actually fix the situation.

with everything we've heard and everything thing we think they are going to release, i think they have a much bigger idea than the ipod in mind. the ipod plays media. and the iphone (or whatever you wanna call it) would play media...and make calls? i dont think so...it too complicated. they want to keep the ipod simple. keep it doing common tasks. the ipod i believe will continue to be a musical device with an emphasis on simple UI. introduce something else to make calls...

everything we've heard makes the iphone grandious and new. two batteries, slide out keyboard, touchscreen? and yet we dont really have any idea. i think that instead of just adding "phone" to the ipod UI's main screen; what we will actually see is a new UI all together...well something like a slimmed OS X or front row with swiveling icons and widgets and stuff.

so instead of introducing a fourth type of ipod to the line (suffle, nano, video, and phone) i think they are going to stick to the three ipods and then intoduce something that can handle a broader vision. the ipod written UI was built to search a library of songs with great easy, not find and use a different program.

i think such a device we be called an iChat or somthing a long those lines. with a new frontrow/icon dock graphical interphase that emphasizes the ability to move through programs. address book, aim, phone, itunes, iphoto, movies, games, maps, safari on a frontrow instead of a list. making things much more appealing and easier to find in the get go.

rambling is complete.
  • Reply 9 of 63
    (Yawn) Seriously, who cares? Does it even remotely matter? Don't you have a job? o wait
  • Reply 10 of 63
    Quote:

All I can say is, that is one CRUSTY hand.
  • Reply 11 of 63
    Apple's not going to call its phone The Bigger Picture.
  • Reply 12 of 63
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    macphone

macphone pro

maybe they will connect a name to ipod but ipod phone is awkward, KISS

so how about

ipod plus

ipod slick

ipod jive

italk

and for the "smart phone"

italk smartly 8)
  • Reply 13 of 63
    I thought I read somewhere awhile back that Apple ™'d "Aloha," and the speculation at the time was that it would be the product name for the Apple phone. I am probably wrong, but that's what I recall...
  • Reply 14 of 63
    I think 'Aloha' was an alternative name for 'Rendezvous,' which eventually turned out to be 'Bonjour.' But I just did a quick Google, and it turns out that the application is broad enough to cover phones.

Also, like some have said, based on AI's latest reports there would seem to be a divergence between Apple's phone plans: to first release an "iPod phone" and then months later release a more full fledged phone/smartphone.
  • Reply 15 of 63
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Say Hello to the iPod Hello. AKA Shalom, Salam, Moshi Moshi, depending on country.
  • Reply 16 of 63
    The Yo!®
  • Reply 17 of 63
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    I feel compelled to ignore your juvenile posts.
  • Reply 18 of 63
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Doh!
  • Reply 19 of 63
    Maybe it's just constipation.
  • Reply 20 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidod315 View Post

(Yawn) Seriously, who cares? Does it even remotely matter? Don't you have a job? o wait

Why do you, ya prick. Go back to your house in Tramore David, or come up with something meaningful fo say.

"Yawn", with your 6 measly posts.