Holiday sales of new iPod shuffle double predecessor

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

More important than designer covers, would be playlists managed by iTunes. 250 songs is a bit too many to shuffle through at random. We need different playlists for different moods.

It wouldn't make the Shuttle any more complex. A spring-return position past on for the power switch could switch between Playlists, with iTunes providing a text-to-audio cue what's in a particular playlist and playing starting a few seconds after the cue if nothing is done.

--Mike Perry, Untangling Tolkien, Seattle

What happens next year when the price and size of NAND comes down again? Does Apple up the Shuffle's NAND to 2GB or do they simply lower the price and add color options? I expect they go for the latter, as trying to shuffle 500 songs would be a bit of a pain.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vmardian View Post

I wouldn't call it a low-end gift. I think it's quite a substantial gift. The average holiday gift is certainly less than $79.

Word. For family maybe, but friends? Naw.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

...Trying to shuffle 500 songs would be a bit of a pain...

I agree. Beyond the 250-song mark, the whole Shuffle concept does not really apply anymore. Apple will keep the current 1gb teensy weeny metal Shuffle at least until the middle of next year. It is still a great entry-level iPod, and Jan-Feb 2007 will be sort of clearing the backlog (literally and metaphorically) of people that wanted Shuffles by end of 2006.

I do not expect, with the exception of "iPhone" or iPod Phone, that the iPod line will be touched until April 2007.

Sorry, one more thing that may occur though is that iPod Cinema (widescreen touch iPod video 6th gen) that will phase out the iPod Video 30gb and 80gb. This will likely only start shipping mid-February 2007.

To sum up, I predict:

1GB Metal Shuffle - as is until June 2007

iPod Nano - whole line as is until June 2007, black Nano may be reduced in price in March 2007.

iPod Video - phased out in Feb-March 2007 in favour of iPod Cinema

iPod Phone - shipping from mid-Feb 2007, announced next month before or on MacWorld.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    <quote>The new shuffles are pretty cool, I got my dad a $79 Apple gift card for xmas so he can get one if he wants .</quote>

Good call, eh?
  • Reply 25 of 25
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

I agree. Beyond the 250-song mark, the whole Shuffle concept does not really apply anymore. Apple will keep the current 1gb teensy weeny metal Shuffle at least until the middle of next year. It is still a great entry-level iPod, and Jan-Feb 2007 will be sort of clearing the backlog (literally and metaphorically) of people that wanted Shuffles by end of 2006.

I do not expect, with the exception of "iPhone" or iPod Phone, that the iPod line will be touched until April 2007.

Sorry, one more thing that may occur though is that iPod Cinema (widescreen touch iPod video 6th gen) that will phase out the iPod Video 30gb and 80gb. This will likely only start shipping mid-February 2007.

To sum up, I predict:

1GB Metal Shuffle - as is until June 2007

iPod Nano - whole line as is until June 2007, black Nano may be reduced in price in March 2007.

iPod Video - phased out in Feb-March 2007 in favour of iPod Cinema

iPod Phone - shipping from mid-Feb 2007, announced next month before or on MacWorld.

This is what I'm digging about Apple these days: they just keep mixing it up. Bringing out colored Shuffles wasn't necessary, from a sales perspective, but it keeps Apple in the public eye (even as Vista is launching) and throws a curve to the competition, who are ever playing catch up and trying to figure out why the last model was so popular.

I think this year is all about stringing out the releases so that there is constant Apple buzz all the way up to iPhone and the new multi-touch iPod.