Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Comments

• Reply 4541 of 4650
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

True, but it's also a tacit admission that the only way to move Blu-Ray players against the cheaper HD-DVD is to hide the higher sticker price within a larger purchase.

Perhaps. But it can also be argued that the only way to move HD DVD players is to have its creator subsidize their retail price (plus rebates and lots of free discs) to hide the true cost, making the market so unprofitable that no other reputable, first-tier CE companies would even try to compete.
  • Reply 4542 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Nothing is over quite yet, but rest assured, if Warner does indeed announce Blu-ray exclusivity at CES 2008, this format war is most definitely over for HD DVD. Do you HD DVD proponents agree or disagree?

Blu-Ray would still be short two entire studios, and I can't imagine Microsoft throwing a Blu-Ray-only player in the next-generation xBox, can you? As a consumer, even if Warner went Blu-Ray exclusive I would still want to own a combo-player so I can play films from all studios.
  • Reply 4543 of 4650
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    did someone cry wolf?

Here we go again!... PS3 is killing Wii in sales! Blu-Ray HDM out sold SD-DVD!
  • Reply 4544 of 4650
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    i've been holding out as long as possible, but i'm gonna break tomorrow.

i'm buying a PS3 and lost season 3! i already have wii and don't want to give microsoft a dime either way... go blu-ray!
  • Reply 4545 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Blu-Ray would still be short two entire studios, and I can't imagine Microsoft throwing a Blu-Ray-only player in the next-generation xBox, can you? As a consumer, even if Warner went Blu-Ray exclusive I would still want to own a combo-player so I can play films from all studios.

Well.. they don't even throw a HD-DVD player in the 360.. what does that tell you?!
  • Reply 4546 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whoami View Post

i've been holding out as long as possible, but i'm gonna break tomorrow.

i'm buying a PS3 and lost season 3! i already have wii and don't want to give microsoft a dime either way... go blu-ray!

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the Hi-def world
  • Reply 4547 of 4650
    Finally, and honest-to-goodness BOGO for HD DVD. About damn time!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Well.. they don't even throw a HD-DVD player in the 360.. what does that tell you?!

Um...that HD DVD wasn't ready at the time that the xBox 360 (and it's launch titles) had to begin production?
  • Reply 4549 of 4650
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Too bad I only wanted one of those movies. Thanks for pointing it out though.

Quote:

Um...that HD DVD wasn't ready at the time that the xBox 360 (and it's launch titles) had to begin production?

Or that they wanted to keep the expenses down on an already loss-leading device. Or that they didn't want to gouge their customer base in order to include an unwanted feature.
  • Reply 4550 of 4650
  • Reply 4551 of 4650
    Quote:

nice!... Is it just amazon or retails are also doing the promo?...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

Or that they wanted to keep the expenses down on an already loss-leading device. Or that they didn't want to gouge their customer base in order to include an unwanted feature.

Yup, that was basically what the M$ spokes person had said while back, for not offering built-in HD-DVD drives. Perhaps, the price on the HD-DVD drives will be low enough now and be part of the built-in xbox360 on the next upgrade cycle at no added cost.

Is 8.5GB not enough for the newer games?
  • Reply 4552 of 4650
    Quote:

Ahh, so you are an HD DVD proponent, hmm? And all this time I thought we were to label you as "neutral."

Anyhow, what I'm about to say is pure speculation, but if I were Paramount, and Warner did indeed go Blu-ray exclusive, you know any lawyer from Paramount worth his/her weight would most defintely have some CYA clauses in the contractual bribe agreement they accepted from the HD DVD group earlier in the year to have them opt out of the agreement if certain objectives were not met or if the landscape of studio support changed drastically. All I'm saying is is that I wouldn't be suprised that if Warner went Blu-ray exclusive, Paramount wouldn't be far behind exercising their out clauses of their earlier agreement and crawling back to Blu-ray.

I'm just of the opinion that with a 6 to 2 studio advantage, HD DVD would be done, no questions asked, and the other two studios would be forced to fall in line.
  • Reply 4553 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

Too bad I only wanted one of those movies. Thanks for pointing it out though.

Or that they wanted to not fully commit to the HD DVD format, but simply back it enough so as to try and stifle the high-def optical market so that their downloadable movie strategy would make them billions.
  • Reply 4554 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/11/s...r-dips-to-270/

Samsung BD-P1400- $270

What's interesting is that even at $270 Blu-Ray Player can't beat any of the third gen HD-DVD player in amazon ranking...

BTW, Toshiba HD-A30 is being offered at $240 shipped with 10 free movies at amazon.
  • Reply 4555 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

Is 8.5GB not enough for the newer games?

Apparently. Rock Star, the creators of GTA, are making a new game called La Noire that will be out early next year I think. They said that it was simply impossible to be done on the 360 due to the sheer size of the game.
  • Reply 4556 of 4650
    US HD Hardware Sales 3:1 in Blu-ray's Favour by Year End

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/12...re_sales_2007/

Quote:

US households will together own 948,000 HD DVD playback devices and almost 3m Blu-ray Disc-capable machines come the end of 2007, market watcher DisplaySearch has estimated.

Breaking those numbers down, we get 2.5m PlayStation 3s, 678,000 HD DVD players, 461,000 Blu-ray Disc players and 270,000 Xbox 360 add-on drives, DisplaySearch said via Home Media Magazine.

Add those numbers up and for every living room-oriented HD DVD device out there, there are three Blu-ray machines.

That statistic may well give Warner's home entertainment division pause for thought if it is indeed waiting to see each format's end-of-year hardware sales before deciding whether to back a single format as some industry insiders have alleged it's considering.

For its part, Warner's only comment on the matter has been to state it has "made no decision to change our present policy which is to produce in both HD DVD and Blu-ray".

Newspaper columnist Bob Lindich maintains this statement's lack of a denial or ambiguous language, not to mention the fact the Warner issued it quickly, is a sign that no move's on the cards.

However, Warner's statement doesn't contradict the aforementioned claims, which suggest it's waiting to see the numbers before casting its lot one way or another. Until then, of course Warner is going to maintain its support-both-formats policy.

Yeah, I think Warner has already made a decision, they're just waiting for the proper venue after Christmas.
  • Reply 4557 of 4650
    Quote:

Now, even NYT are picking up on Warner possibly going Blu...

http://www.nytimes.com/paidcontent/P...ref=technology

...hey, let's give credit to HD DVD, they had a good run...

Honestly, relax, i kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid. Nothing is over quite yet, but rest assured, if Warner does indeed announce Blu-ray exclusivity at CES 2008, this format war is most definitely over for HD DVD. Do you HD DVD proponents agree or disagree?

Hey Marz, I'm a BD supporter and don't agree with your contention about it being all over if Warner goes Blu exclusive. Universal and Paramount may decide that it makes sense financially to split HD's 25 - 35% share of the HDM market between themselves rather than have to compete against the rest of the studios in BD.

Warner is in an enviable position right now probably entertaining some very lucrative bids to go one way or the other or even to stay neutral. If Paramount's decision was worth $150M, how much do you think Warner will be able to squeeze out of this from someone?
  • Reply 4558 of 4650
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Or that they wanted to not fully commit to the HD DVD format, but simply back it enough so as to try and stifle the high-def optical market so that their downloadable movie strategy would make them billions.

Why do you keep repeating this retarded Microsoft FUD?

Microsoft isn't the company that is betting the farm on next-gen movie downloads. That company is Apple.

Microsoft is simply interested in using downloads to help sales of its Xbox, while Apple needs that market more to sustain its iPod domination, along with their revised AppleTV strategy.

You simply do not know what you are talking about.
  • Reply 4559 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

You simply do not know what you are talking about.

It must be true, it's written in his Sony-endorsed marketing guide
  • Reply 4560 of 4650
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

Hey Marz, I'm a BD supporter and don't agree with your contention about it being all over if Warner goes Blu exclusive. Universal and Paramount may decide that it makes sense financially to split HD's 25 - 35% share of the HDM market between themselves rather than have to compete against the rest of the studios in BD.

That is incorrect. A studio doesn't compete only within the format it supports. Consumers don't think "what HD DVD (or Blu-ray) movie I should buy next?" They wonder what movie they want, and if it's not available for their player, they curse the studio. The choice of titles comes first, not allegiance to any format or studio.