New Clovertown chip an option for Apple's 8-core Mac Pro

Comments

• Reply 21 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

It needs to start for the Mac Mini 8) -- They're still on Core Duo (Yonah) 1st gen Intel Core. Time for update...!!!11!!

The Mini is, fortunately, a drop in upgrade to Core 2 (Merom) like all the other Macs are using now besides the Xeon powered Mac Pro and Xserve. I'm kind of leaning towards one myself actually as I've seen it be done.

Ah the Intel age. I remember when a couple of dozen extra Megahertz and a bigger hard drive were considered a passable "rev" in Macs. Nowadays we just wait 6 months and hop on for another level of WARPSPEED!

I know there are some who think it makes your top of the range Mac less special now that the pace is faster. But come on, who wants to go back to that stagnation for real? Once upon a time Apple cranked out the same model Mac Plus for what was it, SIX years? (my mistake: 4 years 10 months!)

Bring it on Intel, we can keep up with you.
  • Reply 22 of 81
    bjnybjny Posts: 191member
    If the pricing doesn't change for the current models, I hope two 1GB FB-DIMMs will become standard, as well as the hardware RAID capability being enabled on the motherboard. Perhaps the ATI 1950 will become an option as well?
  • Reply 23 of 81
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    [QUOTE=fuyutsuki;1013460]The Mini is, fortunately, a drop in upgrade to Core 2 (Merom) like all the other Macs are using now besides the Xeon powered Mac Pro and Xserve./QUOTE]

I don't know if you mistated it or simply missed it, but Mac Pro's CPUs can be replaced / upgraded. This much was was pretty much proven at Anandtech. It's a little tough to get in there, but still probably easier than can be said for the iMac. I don't remember anyone saying for sure either way on the Xserve. The chips in the notebook Macs can't be upgraded, except maybe for changing out the entire board.
  • Reply 24 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BJNY View Post

If the pricing doesn't change for the current models, I hope two 1GB FB-DIMMs will become standard, as well as the hardware RAID capability being enabled on the motherboard. Perhaps the ATI 1950 will become an option as well?

I don't see any information about the Mac Pro's chipset having an unused RAID capability that can just be turned on.

I think the hope is that an 8800 card would be added to the offerings.
  • Reply 25 of 81
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fuyutsuki View Post

The Mini is, fortunately, a drop in upgrade to Core 2 (Merom) like all the other Macs are using now besides the Xeon powered Mac Pro and Xserve.

I don't know if you mistated it or simply missed it, but Mac Pro's CPUs can be replaced / upgraded.

That's not his point. You can't drop a Merom into a Mac Pro and even if you could, it would hardly be an "upgrade."
  • Reply 26 of 81
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

I would like to see the Mac Pro support both SAS and SATA hard drives like the Xserve.
  • Reply 27 of 81
    JeffDM,

Elektro80's post mentions the onboard RAID possibility at:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-12748.html.

Posts #6 and #8 mention it as well at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=231822

The ATI 1950 will suit me fine allowing the attached display(s) to rotate between landscape + portrait orientations for when I'm photographing [tethered].
  • Reply 28 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't see any information about the Mac Pro's chipset having an unused RAID capability that can just be turned on.

I think the hope is that an 8800 card would be added to the offerings.

I'm hoping more to see the Quadro FX 560 and 1500. The Mac Pro needs entry and mid level professional options.
  • Reply 29 of 81
    Haggar,

What benefits does SAS offer, and aren't they more costly?
  • Reply 30 of 81
    Quote:

Haggar,

What benefits does SAS offer, and aren't they more costly?

Higher speeds up to 15,000 RPM. As SATA is the serial version of IDE, SAS is the serial version of SCSI.
  • Reply 31 of 81

SAS (Serial Attached SCSI) is very expensive these days, SATA-II (300GB/s versus 320GB/s for U320 SCSI) is just pricing SAS/SCSI right out of the market. I held on to SCSI for a LONG time, but with the ever diminishing marketshare WRT SATA drives, SAS/SCSI drives are just getting more expensive. Add to this that you can have a 4-drive RAID 0/5 SATA, it just doesn't make much economic sense to go SAS, for a marginal increase in speed.

Just price 15K SAS drives, or 10K SAS drives versus 10K SATA (Raptors), or 7.2K SAS versus 7.2K SATA-II, I did this a few weeks ago, knowing that SAS/SCSI would be more expensive, but WOW the price difference has just gone through the roof. I ended up with two 10K 150GB Raptors as a RAID 0 on my Quad G5, talk about "teh snappy!"

• Reply 32 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

That's not his point. You can't drop a Merom into a Mac Pro and even if you could, it would hardly be an "upgrade."

OK, my mistake.
  • Reply 33 of 81
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    I'm a little skeptical of the prices:

o Two 2.0 GHz dual core [subtract $299]

o Two 2.66 GHz dual core

o Two 2.0 GHz quad core

o Two 3.0 GHz dual core [add $799]

o Two 2.33 GHz quad core [add $799]

o Two 2.66 GHz quad core [add $1999] (i.e. just low enough to make it not worth while to buy the 2.0GHz and swap processors)

There needs to be a little bit of a price drop from the old chips. This isn't ibm. This was posted the other day. I don't know how reliable hkepc is. BUT I have some buddies that work at intel (I used to work there) that have been rumbling about these price drops. I feel there is a good chance these will affect the xeons as well.

http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/itnews.php?...me=0&endtime=0
  • Reply 34 of 81
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Higher speeds up to 15,000 RPM. As SATA is the serial version of IDE, SAS is the serial version of SCSI.

Don't SCSI hard drives have a reputation for much higher reliability and longer MTBF times than ATA drives?
  • Reply 35 of 81
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Don't SCSI hard drives have a reputation for much higher reliability and longer MTBF times than ATA drives?

The only rep I am aware that they have is they are way more expensive.
  • Reply 36 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

The only rep I am aware that they have is they are way more expensive.

They are more reliable but it's not worth it for the individual.
  • Reply 37 of 81
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Yes the MTBF of a SCSI drive is rated at 24x7

the MTBF of a SATA drive is rated at 8x5

Large difference.
  • Reply 38 of 81
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Yup...in addition to the standard features of SCSI ...SAS brings some nice things to the table.

Dual Ports- connect two seperate controllers to one drive for redundancy

Port Multiplication-
    You can fan out drives on a single controller. Thus a 8 port controller could easily support 32 or more drives. Max is 16,384 drives.

SAS is a pretty damn cool technology. LSI Logic makes a SAS switch that can replace fibre connections in some scenarios.

I'd love to see Apple move to SFF SAS drives. Thus you could put your OS on a 10k boot SAS drive and then use SATA for the larger storage needs.
  • Reply 39 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

Nice sunilraman,

Can't wait to get one.

I hope After Effects 8 will come right after CS3.

Oh my.

I couldn't agree more!!! AE8 running on one of those things would be incredible!

(P.S. Are there any benchmarks of AE7 running on the current Macbook Pro?)
  • Reply 40 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Port Multiplication-[/B] You can fan out drives on a single controller. Thus a 8 port controller could easily support 32 or more drives. Max is 16,384 drives.

What is the limit with SATA? I've seen five-way port multipliers for them. For me, that would be enough, that would allow me to have ten external drives without buying a PCIe card and without going to Firewire.