MacWorld...but then whats Apple doing at..

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arnel View Post

... 2. There was an "iTunes Store Presents" menu, which makes me think that you might be able to buy things directly from the iTV. Granted, this might just instruct the host Mac/PC to download the item, but maybe it'll download direct to the iTV?

At a christmas party this year I ran into the CEO of a company that makes the DVR software for almost all Cable boxes. I asked him his opinion and he stated it had to have a hard drive because in his view Apple was going to do Video On Demand (Ala Netflix - you could have 4 downloads that you rent at a time - so they download tot he hard drive while you are watching and then there is always something ready if you have chosen 4 movies etc).

Just his speculation
  • Reply 22 of 27
    arnelarnel Posts: 103member
    I'm beginning to think that the box I described is possible and feasible at the $299 price... maybe it's just leaking RDF from reading all the MWSF rumours, but I've done a little investigation and I think it could be so.

Let's start with the 30Gb iPod, which Apple can manufacture and make a profit from at $249. Functionally it's pretty similar, and we can use it as a base to build our iTV using the component teardowns as a guide to the cost of components.

First, we can get rid of the screen and the battery - they were estimated at $15 and $4.50 respectively. So we're now down to $230.

Second, we can swap out the 1.8" 30Gb HDD ($65) and replace it with a 2.5" laptop drive. That same $65 will get you an 80Gb drive on newegg.com, so we'll go for that (I'm sure Apple could get an even bigger drive for that price at their volume). Still at $230.

There are a few other components needed:

better video hardware (the X1600 in the iMac was listed as $30)

some more RAM (listed in the iMac teardown as $20 for 256Mb)

wifi (price stolen from a PS3 teardown! $15.50)

a PSU (no idea)

If that PSU comes out to around $5, then that hits the $300 price point nice and cleanly.

So, simplistic as this reasoning may be, it certainly seems viable for the iTV to be more like an iPod for your telly than simply just a video Airport Express.

Neil.

a.k.a. Arnel
  • Reply 23 of 27
    Quote:

At a christmas party this year I ran into the CEO of a company that makes the DVR software for almost all Cable boxes.

Did you get a chance to beat him senseless for creating what may be the worst consumer electronics software ever conceived?
  • Reply 24 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ai51240 View Post

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Apple's Buyin Slingbox Conformed!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

....currently Slingbox can be used from your mobile phone... maybe the iTV/Slingbox ties in the iPhone ? makes sense...... browse and download movies to iTV from your mobile and watch them from your phone or wait till you get home and watch them on your TV ? and yes correct it brings in the OS X functionailty to non MAC users..... nice...
  • Reply 25 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whiteboytrash View Post

....currently Slingbox can be used from your mobile phone... maybe the iTV/Slingbox ties in the iPhone ? makes sense...... browse and download movies to iTV from your mobile and watch them from your phone or wait till you get home and watch them on your TV ? and yes correct it brings in the OS X functionailty to non MAC users..... nice...

Or Apple is just going to show iTV next to Slingbox's upcoming box that does everything iTV will do?

Quote:

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070107/gadge...edia.html?.v=3

New Device Will Send Web Videos to TV

Sunday January 7, 2:24 pm ET

By May Wong, AP Technology Writer

New 'SlingCatcher' Device Will Ley Users Send Web Videos From Computers to TVs

LAS VEGAS -- The maker of Slingbox, a device that lets people watch their home television on laptops away from home, now plans to reverse that flow and bring Web video to television sets.

Sling Media Inc. will unveil its upcoming SlingCatcher product at the International Consumer Electronics Show, joining a growing group of companies that aim to bring Web content into the living room.

• Reply 26 of 27
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arnel View Post

I was thinking the same thing, too. Having to go into another room, switch your computer on and log in before you can go back into your living room and use your iTV isn't a particularly seamless or convenient experience.

Why do you turn off or log off from your computer in the first place? I currently leave my music on my desktop and access it from my laptop around the house.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    arnelarnel Posts: 103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Why do you turn off or log off from your computer in the first place? I currently leave my music on my desktop and access it from my laptop around the house.

I don't like leaving things like computers on all the time, it just seems like a giant waste. I don't know why, though. A lot of stuff is moving towards being switched on all the time, so why I don't like leaving a computer on all the time is a little odd. Even still, I'd rather see something else take over the server functionality for the home, and let me use my computer as a client.