My controversial idea for Apple's new OS UI in Leopard.

13

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 72
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Yes. Aqua is old and tired and must go.



    I like the iTunes look very much. They've done a lot of nice work on the drop shadows and shading, too.
  • Reply 42 of 72
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    I hope you guys like the new non-aqua drop down menus?





    ...here's the old one:







    And get a load of the top screenshot of the UI for this new app. Do I smell a ditching of Aqua in the wings?



    Although this points to the fact that Apple is exploring new UIs, I don't think this is a surefire indication that this is THE new UI. Many different product types have different UIs.
  • Reply 43 of 72
    irelandireland Posts: 17,569member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post


    Although this points to the fact that Apple is exploring new UIs, I don't think this is a surefire indication that this is THE new UI. Many different product types have different UIs.



    Wanna bet money on it then? I bet you $50 that Leopard's drop downs will be exactly the same as this iPhone's (above)
  • Reply 44 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    Wanna bet money on it then? I bet you $50 that Leopard's drop downs will be exactly the same as this iPhone's (above)



    Honestly, who cares? i want to know the other changes. :-D Like if the menu bar is black, white or grey...and ect...
  • Reply 45 of 72
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    Wanna bet money on it then? I bet you $50 that Leopard's drop downs will be exactly the same as this iPhone's (above)



    I don't want to bet. But anyways, my point is supported by iTunes. iTunes has a different UI than the iPhone that has a different UI than Leopard...presumably...?
  • Reply 46 of 72
    irelandireland Posts: 17,569member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macintosh_Next View Post


    Honestly, who cares? i want to know the other changes. :-D Like if the menu bar is black, white or grey...and ect...



    The color of the menubar wont change. I was talking about the color of the selections. Perhaps they will make a black option, instead of that strong blue. I strongly suspect all scrollbars that are blue now, will be the color of the vertical scrollbar in iTunes for Leopard, system-wide. Finder will be a world apart from what it is now, people have been giving Apple feedback on the sucky factor of Finder for about two years now since Tiger's release, and Leopard will have Core Animation etc. The OS will be resolution independent.



    The real miracle dark horse would be that Leopard is fully ZFS., that would be awesome. There's a lot of possibilities, but we wont know the truth till June.
  • Reply 47 of 72
    http://phillryu.com/leopard.php?person=eric



    I personally like that and those ideas for mac OS X leopard.



    http://phillryu.com/2006/07/26/fake-...he-real-thing/





    And there you can find more mock-ups.



    :-D
  • Reply 48 of 72
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,213moderator
    Can anyone say Color Picker?:







    Black, white, green, blue, orange it shouldn't matter. Let people use what they want IMO.
  • Reply 49 of 72
    irelandireland Posts: 17,569member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


    Can anyone say Color Picker?:



    Nobody's is stopping you from installing Shapeshifter.
  • Reply 50 of 72
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    I think the iPhone UI, iTunes 7, and the Unified UI all offer clues w/r/t Leopard.



    In terms of the new theme, I think we'll see the complete end of pinstripes, a lot more silverish gray-blue, and more minimal UI elements (Safari-style) all around. I don't think the UI elements themselves will be black (though it will likely introduce the semi-transparent dark palette, as seen in iLife apps and Aperture, as a standard UI element). But I do think there will be something going on with much more dynamic light + shadow effects (instead of the current fixed drop shadow) being used to differentiate window edges and indicate window focus.



    That's just the look. I also hope for some serious UI enhancements as well.
  • Reply 51 of 72
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,241member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


    Can anyone say Color Picker?:







    Black, white, green, blue, orange it shouldn't matter. Let people use what they want IMO.



    Sure.







    Too bad we don't get to scale window views from either bottom left or bottom right.
  • Reply 52 of 72
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,241member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post


    I think the iPhone UI, iTunes 7, and the Unified UI all offer clues w/r/t Leopard.



    In terms of the new theme, I think we'll see the complete end of pinstripes, a lot more silverish gray-blue, and more minimal UI elements (Safari-style) all around. I don't think the UI elements themselves will be black (though it will likely introduce the semi-transparent dark palette, as seen in iLife apps and Aperture, as a standard UI element). But I do think there will be something going on with much more dynamic light + shadow effects (instead of the current fixed drop shadow) being used to differentiate window edges and indicate window focus.



    That's just the look. I also hope for some serious UI enhancements as well.



    Note: This isn't directed to you, but to everyone who uses such short hand.



    What benefit does one get writing in a style of short-hand [w/r/t] when one ends up writing a long commentary following it?



    What's wrong with, `with respect to'?
  • Reply 53 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    Nobody's is stopping you from installing Shapeshifter.



    Actually, that can really screw up your computer. And if someone only wants a color change for the menu bar, then that should be built into Apple OS X. At least, I think so.
  • Reply 54 of 72
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    And get a load of the top screenshot of the UI for this new app. Do I smell a ditching of Aqua in the wings?



    i could live with that, kind of, it would have to be 'shinier' though..
  • Reply 55 of 72
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post


    Note: This isn't directed to you, but to everyone who uses such short hand.



    What benefit does one get writing in a style of short-hand [w/r/t] when one ends up writing a long commentary following it?



    What's wrong with, `with respect to'?



    FYI - IIRC, and AFAICT, the practice is commonplace. ROTFLOL!



    BTW... FTFF!



  • Reply 56 of 72
    irelandireland Posts: 17,569member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post


    FYI - IIRC, and AFAICT, the practice is commonplace. ROTFLOL!



    BTW... FTFF!







    IA IMHO or SIS IMHNSOH.
  • Reply 57 of 72
    you had me at lol
  • Reply 58 of 72
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    I am AMAZED that nobody has said this yet:



    "Once you go black..."
  • Reply 59 of 72
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    darker greys, darker blues, a little black, more horizontal gloss effects and much less (if any) candy bar effect, i think
  • Reply 60 of 72
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,585member
    Personally, I like the black idea. Take a look at a screen shot of my desktop.



    For those that care. I use MenuShade to auto-hide or dim the menu bar.



Sign In or Register to comment.