Would you eat cloned meat?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

So what will this prove? We're fine with Growing Meat and eating it, but we can't just have the Butcher cut up a cow? Sure as a Human being, I have sympathy for the Cow, but as another Animal on this Earth, I have to eat.

Also think a bit about the Ecosystem, currently Humans are part of that gigantic Ecosystem in the name of Survival. We eat Cows, we eat Pigs, we eat Chickens, and we raise them all again so they can be slaughtered and then eaten. The only thing this does is remove Humans from that ecosystem so they don't have to feel bad about Butchering a cow, when I'm sure a Wolf would be more then happy to take down that Cow himself and eat it.

If we have to go so far in the name of Morals, Ethnics, and feeling self important about having not eaten a Dead Cow today, it's just humanity for the sake of it. While many would probably argue, a Human is just a 2 legged animal that one day figured out how to sharpen a rock and build a city with it.

Sebastian

Have you seen what they can do with Tofu today? Pretty darn amazing. Fake fish, beef, duck, all different textures and flavours. And yeah, cheese, milk, corn, wheat, there's a lot in vegetarian (but not vegan) that I can deal with.

But past two years, I need my meat. Lamb, mutton, beef, chicken, prawns, "white" fish (cod, flake, dory), tuna and salmon in a sushi handroll. Softshellcrab deep fried. Mmmm......

A human is a two legged animal that I don't think is so "supreme" over other animals. We are omnivorous though, for the most part. I need my high-protein beef and lamb and chicken every now and then.

My main concern is how the animals are reared, treated, fed and slaughtered. For example, with chickens, it would start with them being fed non-genetically modified grains, etc. No hormones. Next, free range eggs and chicken meat is better if I can get/ afford it, which I have at various times in the past 5 years.

Sheep, Goats and Cows are somewhat problematic because of their impact on the environment (amount of water and land used, for example), what they are fed (grass and grains preferably not other dead cows!!)... These are more my concerns. 8)
  • Reply 42 of 70
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I'd love to buy cheap, quality vat-grown meat. Not because I think there's something wrong with killing and growing animals for food, but 1) because the environmental impact would be lesser 2) because we could potentially get better meat at lower cost. After all, as long as we're synthetizing, there probably isn't any difference in production cost whether we make the equivalent of Kobe beef or the equivalent of stringy old beef. It's just a matter of whether we know how to make the better variety.
  • Reply 43 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

After all, as long as we're synthetizing, there probably isn't any difference in production cost whether we make the equivalent of Kobe beef or the equivalent of stringy old beef. It's just a matter of whether we know how to make the better variety.

In Star Trek, they eat molecule-reorganized fecal matter. Vat grown meat sounds way more appetizing. In addition, more plausible, since replicators seem to violate Heisenberg's uncertainty principle.
  • Reply 44 of 70
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I think the most exciting thing for synthetic meat would be meat flavor combos. Chicken/beef (chickeef), fish/lamb (fimb), rabbit/pork (rabbork). Mmmmmm.
  • Reply 45 of 70
    I want to eat manatee and whale. At the moment, the only way to do so is to either make friends with some dudes who live in the swamps in the middle-of-nowhere Florida, or to go to Japan and shell out.

From what I've heard, Manatee steaks are insanely great.
  • Reply 46 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

In Star Trek, they eat molecule-reorganized fecal matter. Vat grown meat sounds way more appetizing. In addition, more plausible, since replicators seem to violate Heisenberg's uncertainty principle.

That's right, I remember the word now: they food generators are called "replicators". It also "replicates" cups and plates and stuff. And when you're done, no dishwashing required, all that crap just gets reduced back into the energy storage/buffers. I don't seem to remember the "faecal matter" part. In Star Trek (Original[??], NextGen, DS9, Voyager), in any case, the whole matter-->energy-->matter thing is all so seamless it all really doesn't matter (heh, pun unintended) where the matter comes form. It's just energy in physical form. Supposedly.
  • Reply 47 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

I think the most exciting thing for synthetic meat would be meat flavor combos. Chicken/beef (chickeef), fish/lamb (fimb), rabbit/pork (rabbork). Mmmmmm.

Have any of y'all tried Kangaroo? It's perfectly legal, safe, natural, and okay for the environment. Really, I think so, as far as I know. It's a bit gamey, kinda like beef-lamb-ish. Also, you can try crocodile meat here in Australia. Kangaroo and Croc meat is not big in the supermarkets though. People still love their regular beef/ lamb/ mutton/ pork/ fish/ shrimp(prawns actually). Umm... no rabbit.

In Malaysia you can get frog legs. A bit like gooey chicken.

Around the world, Japanese-style tempura soft-shell crab is hella nice. Although a bit freaky because the whole crab is just there. And what sort of lousy crab is it that it doesn't even have a proper shell????
  • Reply 48 of 70
    Quote:

I want to eat manatee and whale. At the moment, the only way to do so is to either make friends with some dudes who live in the swamps in the middle-of-nowhere Florida, or to go to Japan and shell out.

From what I've heard, Manatee steaks are insanely great.

Look how sad you made the manatee:

• Reply 49 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

You never fail me Greg...
  • Reply 50 of 70
    Quote:

ROFL WTF

Edit: It doesn't look tasty
  • Reply 51 of 70
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Nature's way has been the rule for far longer than societal conventions. I'd rather kill and eat than be fed Mutant Meat™.

Alright then. Acccording to that logic if something new in nature or from another planet ( hypothetically ) came along and decided to make steaks and burgers out of us because of it's superority it would be totally justified right?

Ps. By the way it's not technically a mutation.
  • Reply 52 of 70
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

Actually there is someone working on that also! I read the article a long time ago but I'll see if I can find it. He seemed to think it was very viable.

By the way it's not just fecal matter it's everything that's discarded.
  • Reply 53 of 70
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Have any of y'all tried Kangaroo? It's perfectly legal, safe, natural, and okay for the environment. Really, I think so, as far as I know. It's a bit gamey, kinda like beef-lamb-ish. Also, you can try crocodile meat here in Australia. Kangaroo and Croc meat is not big in the supermarkets though. People still love their regular beef/ lamb/ mutton/ pork/ fish/ shrimp(prawns actually). Umm... no rabbit.

No Rabbit? Really? They are pretty tasty, not gamy. It's in most super markets up here in the states.

It could solve that little problem you guys have down there
  • Reply 54 of 70
    I was in Norway about six months, really drunk, looking for a shop that sold whale. It was a Sunday, and we didn't find any.

Hey, when in Rome.

If you could grow Kobe beef in a box, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. But the thing is... how would you reproduce lamb from, say, the South African Karroo? It spends its whole life eating beautiful herbs and and grasses that flavour that delicious meat... slurp...

Well, hey, if scientists could make it, I'd eat it. No animals have to die, fields can turn back to meadows... farmers go bankrupt, yes, but progress doesn't care what your job is.

\

God, I'm using smilies a lot these days.
  • Reply 55 of 70
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

I'd love to buy cheap, quality vat-grown meat. Not because I think there's something wrong with killing and growing animals for food, but 1) because the environmental impact would be lesser 2) because we could potentially get better meat at lower cost. After all, as long as we're synthetizing, there probably isn't any difference in production cost whether we make the equivalent of Kobe beef or the equivalent of stringy old beef. It's just a matter of whether we know how to make the better variety.

I doubt that the initial quality would be "kobe" - more like "the macdonalds beef that somehow has bubbles in it". If it was high quality, I would have no problem with eating it either.

Poor people would eat it first, as the lack of labeling does nothing to prevent organic beef growers from labeling their meat "organic - not genetically modified or cloned, grass fed".
  • Reply 56 of 70
    Then again, neither do pigs and cows.

And for the record, I have had kangaroo and crocodile. The kangaroo I had was in pie form, washed down with some cheap aussie beer (VB I think). I feel like that might be the quintessential aussie culinary experience.
  • Reply 57 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Frack. I should be a Sci-Fi writer. But writers are all depressed and weird and socially isolated and stuff, right?

Nah, just Philip K. Dick.
  • Reply 58 of 70
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

No Rabbit? Really? They are pretty tasty, not gamy.

Rabbit? How can you even think of eating these guys!?

• Reply 59 of 70
    jvbjvb Posts: 210member
    I don't care if my meat is cloned. It is the same thing and it will taste the exact same. Regardless, I'm not going to know whether it is cloned or not in the first place. Who cares? As long as it passes FDA inspection, I am good with it. The FDA took a year longer than it should have to decide on this anyways.
  • Reply 60 of 70
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Look how sad you made the manatee

Just using this as an excuse to post this image: