The xMac (Pictures and Concept) Mid-Tower: for Enthusiast, Mid-Enterprise Markets

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Photos below, notice the x in the xMac logo is reminiscent of the Apple ][e

Just the right balance of upgradeability and defined, easy to support hardware that can run Mac OS 10.4, 10.5, WinXP2 Pro, or Vista, or a combination through Parallels, etc. for the medium-size enterprise market. Also targets market space between Mac Mini and iMac and Mac Pro.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    The GPU is slotted into a special "swing out" bay so that it sits parallel to the motherboard. This maintains slimline options. Obviously, a slight modification to the motherboard, and Apple genius for the casing thermal management. Other components eg. RAM, Hard Disk and so on are also just a matter of casing design.
  • Reply 2 of 42
    "17-inch Cinema Display" I don't think will be an actual product, but used liberally in the mockups to illustrate slimline size and profile of the xMac.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I could swear I've seen that before... oh yeah. A Wii.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

I could swear I've seen that before... oh yeah. A Wii.

lol You beat me to it....Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
  • Reply 5 of 42
    That design is not in character with Apple's computer designs.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Nor is the concept.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    Quote:

I agee. It's too disjointed looking.

I really don't think there's a viable product between the mini and the iMac. Apple's never been sold

on people actualy upgrading their Macs beyond a hard drive and RAM.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:

Apple's never been sold

on people actualy upgrading their Macs beyond a hard drive and RAM.

Yes, but that's a bad thing. If they would put a socketed CPU and upgradable GPU in one of their non-Pro machines I would snap it up.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    The keyboard is like... backwards.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by duzledwarf View Post

Yeah, and what is up with the perspective of the whole thing? The angles are everywhere!
  • Reply 11 of 42
    Party poopers.
  • Reply 12 of 42
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Party poopers.

Right.

Sunilraman, thanks for your effort.

I still believe a REAL mid-range Mac would be a nice addition to the Mac lines.

Despite the fact that notebooks are overselling desktops and that the iMac is one of Amazon's best seller desktop, I think that Apple has now the tools to make computers for everyone, in any price range, and specs range.

Will they do it?

How they gonna do it?

I don't know, but if people keep asking/talking about a Conroe/Kensfield based Mac maybe we will have one, one day.

Maybe we will have to wait for Q2-Q3 2007, for the Bearlake chipset and the new versions of Conroe/Kentsfield (Wolfdale/Yorkfield) from Intel, and most of all for Apple (J. Ive) to design a sublime enclosure for it.

Happy new year to everyone (poopers included).
  • Reply 13 of 42
    If there was an xMac/headless iMac, I think it would be a kind of Mac mini tower (and so have a ready made market for add ons from the mac Mini 'slice' design' for hard drives, hubs, TV receivers etc) so it would be like a Mac mini, but taller (maybe even a 6.5" cube!! or is the c word banned now?) Without breaking out photoshop, the nearest kind of thing i can find is this PC case, I know its not the exact shape, but its similar - Link

Silver and white, full size hard drive, card slot, could probably put a Conroe in it. Would describe the xMac pretty well.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

Right.

Sunilraman, thanks for your effort.

I still believe a REAL mid-range Mac would be a nice addition to the Mac lines.

Despite the fact that notebooks are overselling desktops and that the iMac is one of Amazon's best seller desktop, I think that Apple has now the tools to make computers for everyone, in any price range, and specs range.

Will they do it?

How they gonna do it?

I don't know, but if people keep asking/talking about a Conroe/Kensfield based Mac maybe we will have one, one day.

Maybe we will have to wait for Q2-Q3 2007, for the Bearlake chipset and the new versions of Conroe/Kentsfield (Wolfdale/Yorkfield) from Intel, and most of all for Apple (J. Ive) to design a sublime enclosure for it.

Happy new year to everyone (poopers included).

IMHO, this would be the big splash of MWSF07, a Conroe based midrange desktop, it might happen if Apple thinks they can make the same absolute margin (profit) per unit sold versus the iMac. Everything else mentioned as possible for MWSF07 seems kinda hoo-hum.

• Reply 15 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajprice View Post

If there was an xMac/headless iMac, I think it would be a kind of Mac mini tower (and so have a ready made market for add ons from the mac Mini 'slice' design' for hard drives, hubs, TV receivers etc) so it would be like a Mac mini, but taller (maybe even a 6.5" cube!! or is the c word banned now?) Without breaking out photoshop, the nearest kind of thing i can find is this PC case, I know its not the exact shape, but its similar - Link

Silver and white, full size hard drive, card slot, could probably put a Conroe in it. Would describe the xMac pretty well.

Better than the original poster's design, but it looks too much like a glorified toaster.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

Better than the original poster's design, but it looks too much like a glorified toaster.

Or a blind robot sticking out its tongue.

• Reply 17 of 42
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Just the right balance of upgradeability and defined, easy to support hardware that can run Mac OS 10.4, 10.5, WinXP2 Pro, or Vista, or a combination through Parallels, etc. for the medium-size enterprise market. Also targets market space between Mac Mini and iMac and Mac Pro.

Here we are, with the "Isn't it time for a plain old Macintosh again?" thread, starting fresh for 2007. I love it. What are the dimensions? It looks like one I proposed but turned on end. I don't have the skill or software to show a mock up, however. Yours is nice, but I prefer mine, which would stand taller like the PS3, or optionally, lie flat with the long dimension being horizontal. Otherwise we are very close. Mine lying flat is 3.25 inches tall 14 inches wide and 11 inches deep. To stand upright it would need a plastic foot for a wider bottom.

I patterned the dimensions, and there for the air volume, after the PS3, since it has the hot running Cell processor. This case should be good for a high performance Intel Core 2 Duo chip, or alternately a more modest processor for the lowest cost option.

• Reply 18 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post

Yes, but that's a bad thing. If they would put a socketed CPU and upgradable GPU in one of their non-Pro machines I would snap it up.

Like the iMac 24"?
  • Reply 19 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by duzledwarf View Post

Heh. Ooops.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by max_naylor View Post

Yeah, and what is up with the perspective of the whole thing? The angles are everywhere!

Let's just say it was friggin' HARD to hack all those pieces from various bits of other Apple product photography. I ain't going to be winning any creative awards, but it was a bit of inspiration nonetheless.

I need to get back into real 3D modelling and lighting and texturing and stuff, I used to like Lightwave but never tried doing any product design/ mockups with it. Photoshop mockups are not as "thorough" as building and rendering 3D. But you do learn all the fake-gradient techniques that underlie all the gloss of Aqua and Vista-AeroGlass, etc.

Criticism noted. Actually, I'm flattered if it instantly reminds you of a Wiiiii , I like the Wiiii design 8)