Apple incurs $84m options expense, maintains 'confidence' in Jobs

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meh 2 View Post

I shudder to think what similar (yet increasingly scaled) imbroglio is awaiting Microsoft should someone try to probe it.

I remember reading earlier that his type of thing (option back-dating) is exactly the kind of misfeasance many many corporations are still involved in following the aftermath of the Enron wake-up call.

It isn't thought that MS has engaged in this activity.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

I'm not sure what you?

Tut-tut! "Am," the "'m" in "I'm," is a verb. You're not very good at JeffDM's game, are you?
  • Reply 23 of 36
    This is Al Gore people. He invented the internet. I believe Apple is teh safe.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut View Post

This is Al Gore people. He invented the internet. I believe Apple is teh safe.

Al: "These pretzels... are makin' me thirsty!"
  • Reply 25 of 36
    Ha. I'm writing a paper on the FCC, reading all this on Apple and the SEC, and watching the SEC play football. My hand was moving faster than my mind.8)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fizzmaster View Post

Why would the FCC investigate? I know the SEC is investigating but never heard anything about the FCC.

• Reply 26 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

26,500 person hours of investigator time!?

What's wrong with good old man hours nowadays?
  • Reply 27 of 36
    meh 2meh 2 Posts: 149member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross:

"It isn't thought that MS has engaged in this activity."

Given the nightmare I've already been through with Enron (who btw was also not suspected of chicanery) I sincerely hope, as you imply, the fact that Microsoft has not been implicated in such a scheme bodes well for them. I would not care to see otherwise.

Once burned, twice removed.

Hoping you're right, keeping my fingers crossed.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    OK, whatever else he's done (eg: LOST TO DUBBYA), 'An Inconvenient Truth' is an amazing film, however I couldn't help noticing the extremely large number of Macs featured in it. At the time I figured it was just an image thing, but now I hear he's on the 'special comittee'? Conflict of interests?
  • Reply 29 of 36
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paulherring View Post

OK, whatever else he's done (eg: LOST TO DUBBYA), 'An Inconvenient Truth' is an amazing film, however I couldn't help noticing the extremely large number of Macs featured in it. At the time I figured it was just an image thing, but now I hear he's on the 'special comittee'? Conflict of interests?

Al Gore has been on Apple's board of directors for years.

He also used Apple's Keynote app for many of the presentations in An Inconvenient Truth.

I don't see how this is a "conflict of interests" at all; their special committee consisted of board members; nothing unusual.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It isn't thought that MS has engaged in this activity.

Actually, they did engage in it. See:

http://users2.wsj.com/lmda/do/checkL...981081966.html

But they came clean, and got in front of the issue very aggressively. Everybody yawned and moved on.

One can criticize MSFT, Ballmer, and Gates with regards to their products and services, but when it comes to management/reporting of financials, MSFT is simply one of the finest companies around.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    Quote:

Actually, they did engage in it. See:

http://users2.wsj.com/lmda/do/checkL...981081966.html

But they came clean, and got in front of the issue very aggressively. Everybody yawned and moved on.

One can criticize MSFT, Ballmer, and Gates with regards to their products and services, but when it comes to management/reporting of financials, MSFT is simply one of the finest companies around.

The point is that nothing illegal was actually done.

As opposed to the way they run the company. Strange, isn't it?
  • Reply 32 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

Al Gore has been on Apple's board of directors for years.

He also used Apple's Keynote app for many of the presentations in An Inconvenient Truth.

I don't see how this is a "conflict of interests" at all; their special committee consisted of board members; nothing unusual.

Oh, I didn't know that - Thanks! It explains all the Macs featured in 'An Inconvenient Truth!'

Al Gore must be pushing hard for Apple to be more environmentally friendly... Lets hope so anyway, otherwise all the cars he's chauferred in, planes he flies on, and new computers he uses during the film could make him look a bit hypocritical...
  • Reply 33 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paulherring View Post

Al Gore must be pushing hard for Apple to be more environmentally friendly... Lets hope so anyway, otherwise all the cars he's chauferred in, planes he flies on, and new computers he uses during the film could make him look a bit hypocritical...

PS:

Yup, hypocrisy is alive and well among some in the "environmental movement".

1) On the environmental impact of computers, see, e.g.:

http://update.unu.edu/archive/issue31_5.htm

2) On the enviornmental impact of jet engines, see, e.g.:

http://www.grida.no/climate/ipcc/aviation/089.htm

3) On top of all that, he's a gasbag too (but admittedly, a very smart one).
  • Reply 34 of 36
    Quote:

PS:

Yup, hypocrisy is alive and well among some in the "environmental movement".

1) On the environmental impact of computers, see, e.g.:

http://update.unu.edu/archive/issue31_5.htm

2) On the enviornmental impact of jet engines, see, e.g.:

http://www.grida.no/climate/ipcc/aviation/089.htm

3) On top of all that, he's a gasbag too (but admittedly, a very smart one).

Yup!

A lot of gasbags here too.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Yup!

A lot of gasbags here too.

Yes, indeed!
  • Reply 36 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Al: "These pretzels... are makin' me thirsty!"