2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    buy lunch for a homeless guy.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    Quote:

buy lunch for a homeless guy.

Please don't encourage our homeless guys. Thank you.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alexander View Post

Hu? You mean if we don't feed the homeless they will miraculously get jobs, have great mental and physical health and get homes? Never knew that is how it works.

I guess we all should have known homeless people are homeless because they want people to buy them free happy meals. In fact I want a free happy meal, maybe I better try the homeless thing... /sarcasm
  • Reply 24 of 33
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    The view from Twin Peaks is great. I believe there's a bus that goes up there.

24th street between Church and Castro has some great shops, coffee houses, etc. Take the J Church street car from Market street downtown. Get off at 24th and walk west (uphill).

Did anyone mention the Mission Delores, yet? Built in 1776, survived the earthquake. One of the few Calif. missions that didn't fall into ruins at some point. The altar & reredos there are world famous.

Also, the Exploratorium is fun for geeky kid types.

All the museums are world-class. De Young, Legion of Honor & SFMOMA.

If you want to get out of town, Muir Woods is a stand of redwood trees just across the Golden Gate bridge in Marin county. another cool destination in Marin is Stinson beach. Angel Island is supposed to be fun, though I've never been.

Basically, you can't possibly see all the cool stuff in SF in a week.

Alternately, you could make a pilgrimage to the Great Birthplace of chris v at 29th & Castro.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I'll mostly second what others have said:

If you like architecture, the new deYoung museum in Golden Gate Park is a must. Plus, it's right next to the Japanese Tea Garden, which is lovely and restful. Not to mention you're in Golden Gate Park.

If you like art, you could always actually go into the deYoung, or there are several major museums right next to the Moscone: the Modern, Yerba Buena Center for the Arts, and the Museum of Arts and Crafts. If you like Asian art the new Asian Art Museum (located in a remodeled beaux arts former library) is a treat, although a little far afield.

If you like shopping, go a block over from Mission Street, where the Moscone more or less is (it's become a sprawling mass of buildings) to Market. The new Bloomingdales just opened, and it abuts a multi-story "urban mall" with the the usual slightly upscale shops.

Better shopping can be had around Union Square, which has more odd-ball and small shops, plus more of the Rodeo Drive type lethally expensive outfits.

If you like scenic beauty, by all means go down to the base of Market and check out the Ferry Building and surrounding environs--take a walk to the end of the nearby pier and sit in one of the swiveling chairs at the end. On a clear day you can do slow 360º pans of the bay and Embarcadaro, and it's better than drugs.

The Ferry Building gets bonus points for architecture-- it's a fantastic renovation, and it's filled with cool little vendors of local goods (bread, fish, wine, cheese, etc.).

For a bit of "old San Francisco" you might check out Tadich's Grill on California Street near Market. It's kind of a local legend, and it's never gotten cute for the tourist trade.

If you're fairly mobile, drive across the city to the Pacific Ocean at Ocean Beach. Stroll the ruins of Sutro Baths, have a drink at the venerable Cliff House, and check out the Camera Obscura.

Spend some time in the Mission, SF's hispanic district. Lots of interesting things to eat, and if you like Catholic icons you're all set.

Do not go to Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39 or the Metreon (big Sony "mall" right by the Moscone). They are hopelessly cheesy and demean the city.

Too late to catch the Giants in their fancy band box stadium right on the water. Just as well, as the Giants suck.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    can you still go up the colt tower? i remember that being nice... and you've also got haight-ashbury / the GG bridge... are those all too far?
  • Reply 27 of 33
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alexander View Post

Ok, then KICK a homeless guy whist eating YOUR lunch.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    If the weather's nice... walk up to (and walk up) Lombard St (between Hyde and Leavenworth ?)... It's free, It's a little over an hour (round trip) to walk it from Moscone Center area, and a pretty famous "sight" in SF.

Along the way you're bound to find some neat little place to have lunch or dinner.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post

can you still go up the colt tower? i remember that being nice... and you've also got haight-ashbury / the GG bridge... are those all too far?

Those for the most part would be pretty far from Moscone.

Sebastian
  • Reply 30 of 33
    Have soup dumplings here: http://sanfrancisco.citysearch.com/profile/37230939/

They're fantastic-- and likely unlike anything you've ever had.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    get some lunch in china town, go wander around. Eat some duck.

if you go as far as the end of market street (near the old ferry) and want a tasty bite...try Birleys, its very good.

http://www.birleys.com/
  • Reply 32 of 33
    My recommendation and a good way to get a sense of direction in less than 2 hours.

Take Muni from Market Street to the Castro. Don't stop for too long. The Castro is not the fun location it used to be. The bars are so-so and the restaurants are average.

Jump on the "historic" F line back down Market Street. This will take you down to the waterfront past the Ferry building and eventually to Pier 39. Do not get off with everyone else. Stay on the trolley bus for a couple more stops until you are outside Walgreens.

At this point walk away from Pier 39 towards the Maritime museum (currently closed). If hungry stop at the "In N Out" Burger on the way. Probably the best chain burgers/shakes in town.

If you carry on along the harbour wall you will be rewarded with some great views of the Bay and and an equally good view of the city.

Don't forget to take some warm clothes. It can be very chilly down there even when the sun is out

The easiest way back to down town is on the "F". The fun way is to get the cable car from the terminal next to the Maritime Park.

Stuart.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuartf View Post

Don't forget to take some warm clothes. It can be very chilly down there even when the sun is out

Good advice. By SF standards it has been darn cold lately, but the air quality is sparkling. Good time to go to Twin Peaks for a view of the city.

Edit: Actually the wind is less today and I have to say that overall it was a very nice winter day today. Hope it stays this way for the rest of the week ahead.