Briefly: Quanta to build 4.5 million MacBooks for Apple

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Machei, it's always nice to welcome a new switcher to the Mac fold. If you're trying to decide when the best time is to buy a new Mac, it helps to know when the last version shipped. This handy buyer's guide can be very helpful. As you can see, the MBP was updated Oct. 24 and the MBs Nov. 8. I'm not expecting new portables until April and they could be based on the Intel Santa Rosa platform. That means a faster FSB, for one thing.

I'm not expecting any new Macs to be announced at MWSF but there could be a quiet update of the Mac mini to C2D and the Mac Pro to the dual quad.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,007member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Hey, good call! Because, let me tell you from personal experience, those Apple Store people really act all annoyed and holier-than-thou if you walk in with your shorts down. I mean, is that really a reason to call mall security? And the "microsoft" jokes were just uncalled for.

I dont know, maybe I'm just tired on a Friday, but that made me LOL fer real.

Unfortunately, I don't expect an update of the portables unless there may be a new adition (I don't want one, but I see the apeal of the small MBP).

heh. He said micro and soft. heh
  • Reply 23 of 39
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Where are all the Apple is doomed articles?

Apple Computer, Inc. Proudly going out of business since 1977!
  • Reply 24 of 39
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

For someone who has never owned a Mac you certainly know when you should hold off on buying a Mac. How is it you came to be on these boards and know their release cycle without yet joining the "cult of mac"?

I think there are a bunch of people like Machei... I was on here for two years before buying my first mac... it's kind of like a pre-buying welcome-type-thing (i don't know how to say what i'm thinking...)
  • Reply 25 of 39
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
  • Reply 26 of 39
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by machei View Post

My heart went out to all those who bought a MBP two weeks before the C2D chips were rolled out.

Thank you! I still occasionally weep about it but I just needed it so bad!
  • Reply 27 of 39
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I have been faithfully lurking here and on other Apple sites in preparation, and can tell you that one learns a lot about the cult from its followers.

Have you been to www.macosxhints.com and it's forum? I find that is the best place to really get a handle on all the Mac really has to offer.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by josa92 View Post

I think there are a bunch of people like Machei... I was on here for two years before buying my first mac... it's kind of like a pre-buying welcome-type-thing (i don't know how to say what i'm thinking...)

I put in about 700 Hours (probably more) of researching Apple, it's history, it's enviornment, what I can expect to find in the box, the community, etc. Before I finally decided I was going to buy a Mac no matter what, Joined Apple Insider to talk in the forums, and about a week later, maybe a little less or a little more, I'm not very good with time as you can tell, I bought my Macbook

Sebastian
  • Reply 29 of 39
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

I'm not expecting any new Macs to be announced at MWSF but there could be a quiet update of the Mac mini to C2D and the Mac Pro to the dual quad.

Dual quads would be a quiet update?!?!? Wow, things have changed for some people since the days of a 50 mhz update in a new FlowerPower iMacs.
  • Reply 30 of 39
    macheimachei Posts: 83member
    Hey there!

Thanks to everyone who sent me a little welcome and some kind words. That's a cool link to the release cycles, too. I know that all things considered, I'd be safe buying one right now, but I live in fear of the "one more thing" and so I decided to just wait it out... it's only another week.

That, and you do have to buy eventually. I figure that the MBP C2D machines are probably some of the best to roll off the line recently and mine will be future proof for at least a few years. Can't ask more than that from a 'puter.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This just in....

"Quanta Computer will now deliver 4,500,001 MacBook computers to Apple Computer during the course of the 2007 calendar year now that they have confirmation that willrob, over at Apple Insider, will be purchasing one."

Oh, I like this post!
  • Reply 32 of 39
    Quote:

I've been cult of Mac by proxy for a while. That is, my spouse uses a G4, and that's when I learned to like them... but she hoards it, she does, my precious.

So I started ghosting PC to Mac switcher sites and after some research decided to buy my own because a lot of what I saw and read appealed to me. That was in September, and all kinds of things have gotten in the way of that purchase since then. But, I have been faithfully lurking here and on other Apple sites in preparation, and can tell you that one learns a lot about the cult from its followers.

My heart went out to all those who bought a MBP two weeks before the C2D chips were rolled out. I know that Expos are big turning points, so I also know it'd be madness to buy anything this week.

I'm very much looking forward to being legit, but I figured I knew enough to contribute to this thread, at least.

m.

Well, you are learning fast. I wish some longer term patients here would learn some of that.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Apple Computer, Inc. Proudly going out of business since 1977!

So, where are all the 50% off signs?
  • Reply 34 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

So, where are all the 50% off signs?

• Reply 35 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

I put in about 700 Hours (probably more) of researching Apple, it's history, it's enviornment, what I can expect to find in the box, the community, etc. Before I finally decided I was going to buy a Mac no matter what, Joined Apple Insider to talk in the forums, and about a week later, maybe a little less or a little more, I'm not very good with time as you can tell, I bought my Macbook

Sebastian

We're pretty good here.

We fight, we scream, we laugh, we support each other, we exchange information.

What more can you ask from friends?
  • Reply 36 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

We're pretty good here.

We fight, we scream, we laugh, we support each other, we exchange information.

What more can you ask from friends?

Yep

Plus it's not as crowded as the Macrumors forums

Sebastian
  • Reply 37 of 39
    brendonbrendon Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Sebastian

So let me get this correct, no typo, 700 hours. OK assuming that a work year is figured at 2080 hours, you worked roughly 1/3 of a year to figure out what computer to buy. A MacBook costs around $1,100 to ~$2,200 -> ~$2,500 fully loaded. Welcome to the fold by all means, but in the future don't work so hard for your decisions, life is too short. I will tell you that the great fun of owning a Mac is finding out about all of the software that you thought you would never find. The shareware is great and nosing around a little you can easily find apps that are really fun to use. In short the journey has just begun.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    Back in 2003 I joined the zany cult of computer karma "with my pants down" but at an auspicious time. Got my 12" PowerBook G4 a couple of months after that year's Macworld ... 867MHz in all its glory and here I am still using it today.

Too many lost hours of pc hell in 2002 ultimately drove me to it. At first I thought my old hardware was wrong, then I thought the software, and then ... sternly looking the smoking wreckage of custom rigs and windows and linux installs in the face I finally realised it. F*** THIS I'M GETTING A MAC!!!

Best decision ever. Almost four years now of getting my geek on and haven't looked back.

Unlike our smart new switchers, I knew next to jack about the platform yet alone likely hardware release schedules. I knew that G4 was better than G3 and that Macs looked good, as did their shiny new OS mysteriously called Jaguar. Apple's own website helped me out as I read about all the newfangled technologies and built in features of the big cat, soothing my angst about being stuck without software. As it turned out that ended up not being an issue at all. Indeed, I'm totally stuck for software to recommend to windows people now.

The Mac lineup back when I was buying:

http://www.designedinca.com/2003/01/07/

The Mac lineup today:

http://www.designedinca.com/2007/01/06/

If I was a newb today I'd probably be eyeing up one of the MacBooks for my needs, and would have a couple of hundred in change. How time moves on.

(Designed in California is a great little database for running queries like that.)
  • Reply 39 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brendon View Post

So let me get this correct, no typo, 700 hours. OK assuming that a work year is figured at 2080 hours, you worked roughly 1/3 of a year to figure out what computer to buy. A MacBook costs around $1,100 to ~$2,200 -> ~$2,500 fully loaded. Welcome to the fold by all means, but in the future don't work so hard for your decisions, life is too short. I will tell you that the great fun of owning a Mac is finding out about all of the software that you thought you would never find. The shareware is great and nosing around a little you can easily find apps that are really fun to use. In short the journey has just begun.

That's about right. I wouldn't have done as much research except I was already a Tech Enthusiast, and put far more time then that researching other Technology. A Year is about 8760 Hours, a School Year is roughly 1560 Hours, and I probably put about as much time as that into research as a whole, with the remaints of the year being put into other interests and my social life, with minimal sleep.

Sebastian