Al Gore is the MAN!

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

Talk about temporary insanity. I fear some of it isn't temporary.

I agree with Sunilraman, Al is the MAN! I'll be happy when attention can be turned to cool stuff at Macworld and away from all the options folderol.

Where in heck are the crude pencil drawings of the secret stuff, hmm?

Well no, this isn't Temporary Insanity, this is the wrong Forum. I believe General Discussion would be a better shoe

Sebastian
  • Reply 22 of 42
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Dirk View Post

Backdating opitons isn't illegal. (Forging documents, however, would be.) A company can give options to its employees at whatever strike price they choose. What was wrong was the accounting for the stock options: when the backdated options were given to the employees, they already had intrinsic value--but they were accounted for as if they had no value, as if the strike price was the same as the stock price on the day the options were awarded.

Actually 'Backdating' as it is commonly used IS illegal as it is the practice of issues options at a given date (the date they're issued) while claiming they were issued at an earlier date to enjoy a lower strike price. This is fraudulent. I believe what you are refering to is the right for a company to issue options at any price it likes. This is legal, as long as its disclosed and accounted for properly, both for the company and the recipient (who had different tax consequence in the two cases). If this is what the company wants to do (issue options below current market) and its disclosed there is no reason to backdate (put a previous date) on the option grant.

In Apple's case, according to the reports, the options were backdated.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

His statement was unclear and perhaps deliberately misleading, but it sure isn't equal to him saying that he "created" or "invented" the Internet.

Actually his quote is quite clear, even in context. "During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet." It's explicit and direct. The only reason I'm belaboring this is that we should hold our public officials to mean what they say. It's no problem for them to make a mistake, everyone does, but in everything I've read on this issue (and its hardly complete) its other people coming to his defense and imposing their beliefs on his intentions. They can't possibly know. He should simply have come out, apologied for any misunderstanding and clarified the remarks - all gone. Same thing for Kerry in his recent mis-speak (not sure that's a term) regarding Iraq and lack of education. Just apologize for and correct the misunderstanding and move on. If we let them get away with these types of overreaching claims and then simple impose our beliefs on what they 'really meant' it makes for muddled and ineffective communication.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    Because of him, legislation was passed to greatly increase government spending on the internet.

His statement is quite clear, explicit, direct, and... accurate. That's exactly what he did.

He should take credit for that. The internet's great.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Someone find that video where he says that he whipped up the internet while sitting on a redwood tree limb. I remember seeing the clip where he makes statement a few post up during the election.

PS Al may be smart, but smart at what? Weather climates or forming arguments for one sided debates in teh form of film?

PSS No, he is not smarter than me.

PSSS More spending on the internet eventually led MS .Net.

PSSSS Us native Tennessee people really don't care for the man because he totally changed his political stances to run for VP.

Back on topic. I would rather The Rock perform the internal investigation and give us iBodySlam.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spindler View Post

There's a very simple reason why Steve Jobs is innocent in all of this. He has no motive to do it, and he certainly wouldn't need to or want to risk himself to help anyone else out. He could have just taken a standard $200m paycheck if he wanted to instead of knowingly doing something risky like making the same $200m through illegal transactions. And no one in Apple is going to FORCE Steve Jobs to take part in any scheme he doesn't want to take part in. He could easily fire them before they force him to do anything. So there's just no motive for him doing anything wrong and no reason to believe he would take any risk at all.

He has a $1 salary does he not? He is obviously not after a lot of money.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Someone find that video where he says that he whipped up the internet while sitting on a redwood tree limb. I remember seeing the clip where he makes statement a few post up during the election.

PS Al may be smart, but smart at what? Weather climates or forming arguments for one sided debates in teh form of film?

PSS No, he is not smarter than me.

PSSS More spending on the internet eventually led MS .Net.

PSSSS Us native Tennessee people really don't care for the man because he totally changed his political stances to run for VP.

Back on topic. I would rather The Rock perform the internal investigation and give us iBodySlam.

You have a large ego. It's quite possible you know more than Gore does, but that doesn't make you smarter. At any rate, even if you were smarter, the world is not about who is the smartest or the dumbest, or who has the highest IQ or the lowest. Many people who are not particularly smart or talent succeeded because they are motivated, they work harder, they interact with people better, they have initiative... or for a number of any other reasons. Al Gore, suffice it to say, is an example of a very successful person.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

You have a large ego. It's quite possible you know more than Gore does, but that doesn't make you smarter. At any rate, even if you were smarter, the world is not about who is the smartest or the dumbest, or who has the highest IQ or the lowest. Many people who are not particularly smart or talent succeeded because they are motivated, they work harder, they interact with people better, they have initiative... or for a number of any other reasons. Al Gore, suffice it to say, is an example of a very successful person.

Succcessful doesn't mean squat just like Crazy Ireland saying "An ass statement. Watch An Inconvenient Truth including all the extra features, Directors commentary etc., and then come back and dare to say the same thing again. I'm from Ireland so I'm completely biased in my views. Republican, Democrat, I don't give a shit! He's a legend IMO, the man's a legend. Gore for President 2008. The word ignorant is grossly and ironically misunderstood by many, I suggest you look it up."

My point was sarcastic and was thrown out to show exactly what you pointed out, except for the fact you think Al Bore is an example of a successful person. Only 51% of people agree with that.

PSSSSSSSS No big ego here.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    This is the 'Temporary Insanity' forum not the 'Temporary Asshole' forum.

Give it a rest.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jccbin View Post

Algore is an incompetent, ignorant fearmonger.

And he was asked to be on Apple's board just to cover someone's butt in such a scandal.

haha someone else not afriad to go agaisnt the crowd. and no i refuse to watch libral propoganda like an inconveniant truth!
  • Reply 31 of 42
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shady104 View Post

haha someone else not afriad to go agaisnt the crowd. and no i refuse to watch libral propoganda like an inconveniant truth!

Yeah you won't have time to watch it because you'll be working on improving your spelling...
  • Reply 32 of 42
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

...except for the fact you think Al Bore is an example of a successful person. Only 51% of people agree with that.

Only 51% +/- 2% of Americans (who could be bothered to vote, and who are actually exist and not the figment of some voting machine "discrepancy") agree with that. The other 5.7 billion or so people in the world would likely rate Mr Gore well above Mr Bush on their positive success scale.

This is a really stupid thread, by the way.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    Quote:

PSSSSSSSS No big ego here.

The deflation of your ego or the multiple scripts on the post script?

Just kidding btw
  • Reply 34 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

This is the 'Temporary Insanity' forum not the 'Temporary Asshole' forum.

Give it a rest.

nice.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Yeah you won't have time to watch it because you'll be working on improving your spelling...

Awww, don't be too hard on him. He's spelling at a 25%+ success rate -- which is actually pretty impressive for the average mouth-breathing, Fox News-watching, global warming-doubting American.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Awww, don't be too hard on him. He's spelling at a 25%+ success rate -- which is actually pretty impressive for the average mouth-breathing, Fox News-watching, global warming-doubting American.

oh JOY for wilcos posts... and i thought the zune comments were funny...man you are nail on the head stuff

guys and gals the world is warming up, i only hope the doubters are still alive to have to move to higher ground, of course they wont need to, what with living in their magic submarines n all
  • Reply 37 of 42
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Stereotype much?

There are douchebags on both sides of the invisible fence. Get your head out of our arse.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post

Stereotype much?

There are douchebags on both sides of the invisible fence. Get your head out of our arse.

Who is being stereotyped? People who disparage someone on a forum, yet can barely manage to spell 1/4 of the words in their posts correctly?

What's an "invisible fence"? I thought it might be some sort of right wing talking point/Orwellian doublespeak that I was unfamiliar with, so I googled it. But this is the only thing that popped up:

Is this what you were referring to?
  • Reply 39 of 42
    Quote:

Stereotype much?

Fox news has long been proved to have very right wing bias news. That in itself is not bad - but you really can't claim your "fair and balanced" if your actually right and tipsy. Many people to the right of the spectrum watch fox because they AGREE with fox.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    Quote:

Stereotype much?

is the implication that Stereotyping is bad?

if so why do it yourself?