iTV, is it worth it compared to Xbox?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    hujibhujib Posts: 117member

vrvrvrvrvrvrvrvrvrvrvrvvrvrvrvrvrv
  • Reply 22 of 28
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    They can easily fix noise and heat problems in the next rev of the 360 since it's invisible to the software. And it's not like you currently *have* to buy cooler accessories, one of which is in the picture, to keep the box alive. They'd be hurting a lot from warranties if that were the case. I understand the noise mostly comes from the DVD drive, so just replacing that with new model might do the trick.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    arty50arty50 Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

Using Connect360 all of my pictures, non iTunes music, and compatible videos are streamed to the 360 from my MacBook Pro. And then I can pop an HD-DVD into the drive and watch a movie.

My point is that unless the iTV does something FAR beyond what the 360 does (highly unlikely, but possible), the 360 makes more sense as it is likely to do a lot more stuff for around the same price, and frankly, the interface is top notch.

One of my friends has his 360 hooked up to iTunes and it leaves a lot to be desired. The other night he had a bunch of friends over and we passed around the controller to build a playlist. We encountered a huge problem in the process. Let's say you're looking under Al Green and you pick "Greatest Hits." Not only does it bring up Al Green's Greatest Hits, but also every other album titled "Greatest Hits." That can be quite a few songs. Also, let's say you pull up an artist who has a song on a soundtrack. Not only does that artists song's show up, but also all of the songs on the soundtrack show up. This is a huge bug.

Now granted, it's probably due to the software linking iTunes and the XBox. But if this is how the XBox behaves while connected to Windows Media Center...well...that sucks.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hujib View Post

If "iTV" can play media streamed from a local machine and drive a high-res graphic interface I see no reason why it couldn't allow you to play the purchased "iPod" games. An iPod can play them and they've got minimal CPU. Who wouldn't want to play some Tetris or Zuma while making dinner!

Granted they could use the iPod Games with an Apple Remote revision (to give it the same controls of an iPod) it still doesn't turn it into a game console, and certainly not one worth mentioning when it comes to gaming.

If You want a game console designed to play games, you'll have to look beyond the Apple right now.

Sebastian
  • Reply 25 of 28
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,461member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

1) The iTV will not have any gaming capabilities

The reason:

The Architecture is completely wrong

2) The iTV is a device designed to STREAM content from the iTunes STORE, but will likely let you stream ripped content as well.

3) End of Discussion

Sebastian

I know this is Temp. Insanity, but at least use Common Sense when comparing products

What? If you are going to put forward an argument, at least try to make it sort of sensible.

To do video streaming the iTV needs a processor for decoding and communications, a bunch of memory for buffers, a network connection, an interface for input devices, and A/V output. A game machine needs pretty much all the same stuff. There is a wide range of capability possible in terms of game playing, and I don't think Apple would even try to compete with XBox360, PS3 or even Wii for the dedicated gaming market. For casual games, however, why not? The iTV can certainly do better than the iPod. Might even let you play games from Pogo if they run a Java or Flash client on it.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Programmer View Post

What? If you are going to put forward an argument, at least try to make it sort of sensible.

To do video streaming the iTV needs a processor for decoding and communications, a bunch of memory for buffers, a network connection, an interface for input devices, and A/V output. A game machine needs pretty much all the same stuff. There is a wide range of capability possible in terms of game playing, and I don't think Apple would even try to compete with XBox360, PS3 or even Wii for the dedicated gaming market. For casual games, however, why not? The iTV can certainly do better than the iPod. Might even let you play games from Pogo if they run a Java or Flash client on it.

For Casual Games, Sure, but I hardly call that a game console, and definitely not one that would compete with the 360 or make it anymore a tempting offer going by the logic that because the Xbox 360 does it all, the iTV isn't worth it.

The 360 can stream from Media Center, I am aware of the Connect 360 hack, but it's designed to play games, and isn't well suited to much outside of that.

The iTV streams iTunes content, it may get in a few casual games, but outside of that, it's not suited to much outside of streaming. You can't just look at a list of components and say Game Consoles all have that as well, Game Consoles have specialized components designed for high end gaming. The exception is the PS3's Cell Processor that is more then enough, but not really designed for it. The iTV could get by with an underclocked Pentium M, or more likely, an Embedded Processor for what it does.

Sebastian
  • Reply 27 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sport73 View Post

I'm an Apple zealout, but I also own a 360. I will buy the iTV, but I also may use the 360's services.

My problem with the 360 is the rental structure. 14 days seems like plenty of time, but I tried to get V for Vendetta in HD and ended up paying for a movie that I still haven't seen. I started downloading it on my 4Mbps connection one Friday evening, and thanks to various hiccups finally completed it by Monday. I wasn't able to begin watching it while it downloaded (not sure why that is). Since I missed the weekend, got busy with work, and had stuff going on the following weekend, the 14Days was up before I knew it. I wanted to test the HD quality, but given the fact that if a started watching the flim I needed to finish it in 24 hours, and I didn't want to begin it until both my wife and I were ready, it was gone and I never saw a frame of it.

$6 is cheap, but I think I'd rather pay the extra $9 and own it.

The iTV enjoys Apple simplicity and elegance, and ties in extremely well to the iTunes experience. I'm rooting for Apple, and hope they can start something BIG with this device. While I love my XBox 360, I'm DAMN sure I DON'T want Microsoft owning the Living Room.

The MS rental structure really isn't any different then anything else, so they really aren't to blame. In fact, it is far more lenient then most other companies that give you a physical disc. Unless you are using Netflix, virtually every other rental place, including cable OnDemand, uses rental schemes like this.

The 360 has proven to be extremely easy to use and intuitive, something I never thought I would say about a Microsoft product. If they can create a better overall experience versus Apple's, why wouldn't they deserve to "own the living room". Oh, and please, tell us where we can all legally download an HD resolution movie (720p or higher) with full surround sound to own for $9 within 7 days of it's DVD/HD-DVD/BluRay release.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member
    For starters we won't know until tomorrow if the iTV will be strictly a streaming product. Iger already mentioned a hard drive and he's not the type of guy I'd expect to hear flinging around words like that unless he knew something. Then again Apple could have revised the design.

But it seems to me it would make the most sense to put a hard drive in the thing as it would give the product so much more versatility. Hard drives are dirt cheap these days and $299 is certainly enough to build a system like this with one in it.

Now I'm still curious how it will compare to the Xbox 360. Microsoft just announced their goals for the 360 with it's IPTV abilities to hit by the holiday season of '07. It's really all software from here out with them. If they can make the 360 interface better and simpler they could very well own the living room. The hardware is certainly there.

If all the iTV does is stream media from my computer to my TV then it's going to be a big let down. People can already do that for $50 less with a video ipod. That's what I do right now, put it on my ipod and then take it to my TV where I sit it in the dock and begin to watch. Simple.

I think Apple wil make the iTV:

DVR

HD and SD rentals

Simple games (possibly even wii-like they cetainly don't needthe best graphics as the wii has proven, just fancy interaction).

Media streaming for computer

ichat compatible from your couch