Macworld: Apple reportedly working on "large-screen technologies"

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Computer may hold ambitions of taking its living room digital media strategy to the big screen -- literally.

According to a research note released by American Technology analyst Shaw Wu on Monday, the company is working on "large-screen" technologies within its development labs.

"We are not certain on timing but our analysis indicates that AAPL is beyond prototype on large-screen technologies (for a larger monitor or possibly Apple-branded HDTV)," the analyst told his clients.

Wu maintained his Buy rating on shares of Apple with a $99 price target, recommending that clients buy the stock on dips.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 82
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Gee, this sounds familiar.
  • Reply 2 of 82
    It would be cool 'cause they could have the iTV built in
  • Reply 3 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

vague rehashing of old rumors familiar?
  • Reply 4 of 82
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I wouldn't be surprised if it is true. I've been saying this for a while now.
  • Reply 5 of 82
    I think Jobs sees reality... that TVs are just big monitors... so this makes sense.

iTV will have a cable receiver and Tivo-like software (if they don't just buy Tivo) and a hardrive.

...iTunes music plays on your 5.1 TV system, if you wish, and movies from your hard drive wirelessly.

The iMac may get an iTV update so college kids have just one screen!

It's all rather obvious that HDTV is just a computer monitor anyway.

But Jobs will keep it all Mac-centric - using iTunes to connect it all, as with the iPod/Nano/Shuffle.

The phone will be "a la carte" too... load into it what you need that day.

Keep it simple!
  • Reply 6 of 82
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    I sure hope we some larger 1920 x 1200 Cinema Displays; ViewSonic has announced a 28-incher for $879 with a plethora of inputs including HDMI.
  • Reply 7 of 82
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Give that man a SANDWICH!!

• Reply 8 of 82
    Hehe, I was thinking cinema when I read this...
  • Reply 9 of 82
    What was the address of that shop?
  • Reply 10 of 82
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I still don't see the advantage of selling the big display themselves. The big screen market is pretty cut throat - unless they can come up with some wacky new display technology, or some way of undercutting everyone else, there's no real market to be had here.

OTOH, an add-on iTV box that works with any screen out there, *that* would be a big hit, IMO.

I mean, maybe they'll pull it off, but my nose says no.
  • Reply 11 of 82
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

I still don't see the advantage of selling the big display themselves. The big screen market is pretty cut throat - unless they can come up with some wacky new display technology, or some way of undercutting everyone else, there's no real market to be had here.

OTOH, an add-on iTV box that works with any screen out there, *that* would be a big hit, IMO.

Solipsism found a relevant link in another thread:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Will Apple release a TV with built in media extender (iTV)?

If this new all-in-one HP TV & Vista media extender (note the Front Row-like interface) is any indication of things to come, then I'd say most definitely.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/08/h...nter-extender/

It looks pretty. I'd buy a 30+" LCD HDTV from Apple with iTV built in if it were vaguely sensibly priced (ie passes the WAF barrier).

Vinea
  • Reply 12 of 82
    Adding an iSight to the TV would be interesting for video conferencing. That said, I already have a 42" HDTV and I suspect the wife will never allow me to purchase another TV again as long as she lives (which is likely to be longer than me).
  • Reply 13 of 82
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    It's hard to see the upside of Apple selling 'home appliances'. The market is saturated and margins are thin. It's always been Apple's philosophy that unless sufficient 'Appleness' can be added to make the product unique then they just won't bother...HOWEVER...

...what we are (probably) going to see tomorrow is the declaration of a new strategy that's been brewing for a while; essentially the push to become the new Sony. Diverging 'Appleness' throughout a whole range of home and portable media products without loosing (as Sony did) the core focus on design and ease of use. It's quite possibly one of those 'bet the company' moments that's required every now and then and undoubtedly a risky move. Accepting lower margins whilst investing greater amounts in R&D and maintaining core values is a bit of a change in culture and will require some experienced managers.
  • Reply 14 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

The iTV box works with ANY screen. They pulled that off already
  • Reply 15 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasong View Post

Adding an iSight to the TV would be interesting for video conferencing. That said, I already have a 42" HDTV and I suspect the wife will never allow me to purchase another TV again as long as she lives (which is likely to be longer than me).

• Reply 16 of 82
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Well, at least this time, you didn't get it from me or Sandwich Man.

If Apple wants to compete in the LR, it has to go beyond what we've seen with iTV but I don't think it's essential to have an AIO set since an iTV can be used with any set. Apple could just offer a list of recommended flat panel sets. Of course, having an AIO HDTV would take the worry out of buying for lots of consumers.

Maybe that rumor I picked up on a year ago wasn't so bogus after all. It came from within Apple. It mentioned a 42" flat panel display with integrated Intel Viiv platform, Front Row 2.0, and a new remote. Sounds a lot like that HP thing mentioned above. It also sounds a lot like iTV except for the display.

I have no idea if Apple will indeed come out with an AIO HDTV but I'd be a happy buyer if it did. No telling when it'd come out, if ever.
  • Reply 17 of 82
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Solipsism found a relevant link in another thread:

It looks pretty. I'd buy a 30+" LCD HDTV from Apple with iTV built in if it were vaguely sensibly priced (ie passes the WAF barrier).

While that is a proof that *some* company will go for the gusto here, I don't see it as a strong indicator that *Apple* will. I mean, they *might*, but right now I think it's just wishful thinking.

After all, Dell sells cheapo stripped down boxes for a couple hundred bucks, but you don't see Apple doing it. Just because *a* company will produce the product, doesn't mean *Apple* will produce the product.

I dunno, I mean, if they can pull something out of their hat that makes it an OMG different beast, then yeah, they might go for it. But I don't see them doing it if they're going to be Just Another Company in that market. It's just not the Apple way of doing things.
  • Reply 18 of 82
  • Reply 19 of 82
    Quote:

Well, at least this time, you didn't get it from me or Sandwich Man.

Who's Sandwich Man?
  • Reply 20 of 82
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Exactly.. guess which two people will be having the last laugh.

Now please guys, the idea of a mock-up is that it should be done before the actual product is finished.. please someone make one, show us your skills. I've given instructions on what I think it will look like. Anyone fancy taken it on here?