Industry awaits Apple iPhone, more details on iTV

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Computer could launch its much-anticipated iPhone device in a matter of hours, according to the Wall Street Journal, which on Monday evening echoed several predictions recently published on AppleInsider.

Citing people familiar with the matter, the paper said AT&T's mobile phone unit, Cingular Wireless, is expected to provide a service for a new Apple phone that could be announced as early as Tuesday.

The reports findings echo those recently published in an AppleInsider piece, which cited people with knowledge of the situation as saying the first Apple cell phone would ship on time despite concerns to the contrary.

"Our experience suggests that when the Wall Street Journal reports something like this Â? it is usually accurate," said Shaw Wu, an analyst with American Technology Research.Â*"We view this deal as a positive and earlier than what most investors are expecting."

The Journal also reported that Apple chief executive Steve Jobs is expected to dish more details on the company's iTV set-top media device, but not necessarily make the product immediately available.

The paper said Jobs is likely to complement talk of iTV by announcing a deal to start selling movies owned by Viacom Inc.'s Paramount Pictures through its iTunes movie store.

Jobs' opening keynote presentation at the Macworld Expo in San Francisco will begin at 9:00am pacific time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Enough of this, get on with the damn keynote already.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I'm very happy that the iPhone will be shipping sooner rather than later.

But I'm disappointed that I'll have to deal with Cingular again.

I was really hoping for an MVNO type deal.

I guess we'll know shortly.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Journal also reported that Apple chief executive Steve Jobs is expected to dish more details on the company's iTV set-top media device, but not necessarily make the product immediately available.

That would be very bad IMHO. No point in re-pre-announcing what you already pre-announced months ago. If the iTV isn't available by the end of January, I'd be shocked. I can only assume a few weeks is what they mean by not immediately available.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    This isn't much of a thread.

The servers seem to be killing everything. Good thing IM was working.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

I'm very happy that the iPhone will be shipping sooner rather than later.

But I'm disappointed that I'll have to deal with Cingular again.

Damn straight! Cingular is the deal-killer for me. I don't care if the iPhone turns out to be the best thing since sliced bread. It'll be a cold day in hell before I give those Cingular bastards so much as one red cent again. "Fewest dropped calls," my ass. On top of that, when I cancelled my service, they were closed through most of the time for holidays. When I finally got through to them, they said, "Sorry, you cancelled a day too late. You owe us another month." Say what??? I haven't used the goddamn phone since the previous month! But they just kept repeating the same mantra: "We don't pro-rate." So it's too bad, but I absolutely refuse to buy an iPhone if Cingular is involved. They really don't care at all about their customers. Up yours, Cingular!