New iPod soon?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member
    The iphone would have been perfect in my opinion if they would have just added a big hard drive instead of a measly 4-8gigabytes. Even if they would have done this it would not have cannibalized ipod sales because the iphone is nearly twice the price and those who want everything in one would pay it. Plus don't forget the iphone is more then just a widescreen ipod with a phone, it also lets you browse the internet via wifi and if Apple were to create a widescreen ipod that would be another feature to be taken out.

I think the reason Apple didn't add a big hard drive to the iphone is because of size, weight and battery restrictions. That bigger screen plus the wifi and cellular service would be sucking that battery dry with a hard drive added.

I was really hoping the iphone would be a great all-in-one upgrade to my 30gig 5G ipod. But at only 8 gigabytes I have to pass. So like you guys I'm really hoping a new widescreen ipod will hit with more storage. But unfortunately I don't think it's going to be until after the iphone comes out. And even then I'm not so sure it will happen at all the way Steve referred to the ipone as the widescreen ipod.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    I think that the iPhone form would be great for an iPod and expect to see it in the future - probably replacing the top of the line iPod.

The issue for Apple today is probably availability of the display components. Apple would need to have sufficient quantities to meet the demand of this new iPod (which would be huge) and the iPhone (which would also be huge).

If availability was not a problem then the benefit to Apple wold probably be lower component costs for the displays through economies of scale plus a huge surge in sales of a new wide screen iPod.

I would love to see it now, but am guessing the a release in time for Christmas selling is probably more realistic. My question is will it have WiFi options? My sad guess is probably not due to costs. Apple is getting cash from Cingular for each subscription as well as their normal gross margin on the iPhone - it would probably cost $100 to $200 more if bought individually - meaning a wide screen iPod with WiFi would also be very expensive.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    The next iPod will most likely be exactly like the iPhone.....just without the phone part. The touch screen is likley to show up. I hope it does, im tired of that scrolling wheel. Plus with the screen it just makes things easier. You can pinch your pics, and scroll through your music with cover flow. Videos will be on a big screen etc. It would also be nice if they left the camera on there too. Cuz the Photo option on the current iPod seems pretty lacking.

"Wooooo you can take your photos from your digital camera and put them on your iPod so you can show them to people!"....here's an idea: Why not just leave the pics on the camera and THEN show it to people....:|.

SO yea if the iPod was both a music player and a camera it would be way superior to anything else.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple Imp View Post

The next iPod will most likely be exactly like the iPhone.....just without the phone part. The touch screen is likley to show up. I hope it does, im tired of that scrolling wheel. Plus with the screen it just makes things easier. You can pinch your pics, and scroll through your music with cover flow. Videos will be on a big screen etc. It would also be nice if they left the camera on there too. Cuz the Photo option on the current iPod seems pretty lacking.

"Wooooo you can take your photos from your digital camera and put them on your iPod so you can show them to people!"....here's an idea: Why not just leave the pics on the camera and THEN show it to people....:|.

SO yea if the iPod was both a music player and a camera it would be way superior to anything else.

i agree with you 100% maybe the iphone is a little big for an iPod i am not sure on the dimensions but i dunno i wouldnt mind. if they put everything like iPhone just no phone i would go and buy one right now...if they were out that was.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    My contact at Apple just sent me this picture of the 6G iPod. It looks so sweet!!!!

• Reply 26 of 26
    I say the next ipod looks extremely close to the iPhone, but it obviously won't need the ear piece... perhaps it will have the button at the bottom like the iPhone though. I wouldn't be surprised if it had wifi connectivity though.

It will probably have some stupid wifi sharing thing like the zune ~ with similar restrictions, but all the stuff on macdailynews and appleinsider will talk about how great the feature is on the ipod when they've been ragging on it on the zune should be fun to read

I can hardly wait for an 80 - 100 gig widescreen ipod... better save my nickles and dimes