Updated monitors didn't happen: any speculation on that?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    I was also waiting for new Apple displays... 23" and 24" doesn't make sense from an Apple profit objective... Would imagine Apple will commonize on a single size moving forward. (my opinion)

The 30" looks awesome, but the Dell 30" is also out there. What is interesting is the new Dell 27" is actually more expensive than the current Dell 30" price ($1274). I can't imagine the Dell going any lower...

The Apple looks awesome, and would prefer to buy the Apple... But looking for a price closer to $1500 would be a done deal for me...

Any other rumors out there for a new Apple 24" or Apple 30"?

InterFX
  • Reply 22 of 42
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by interfx View Post

What is interesting is the new Dell 27" is actually more expensive than the current Dell 30" price ($1274). I can't imagine the Dell going any lower...

Had a look at the Dell 27 on Dell's site. 1920x1200 in a 27" display?!! Those must be some pretty big pixels. I thought the trend was toward higher resolution, not lower.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    I'm looking forward to the all-new fur covered monitors that purr when you pet them, and growl when you ignore them.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    I'm holding out for the special DESKTOP monitors Apple releases in conjunction with Leopard that feature iPhone-like gesture control directly on a 30-degree angle 24" monitor with Multi-Touch.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sport73 View Post

I'm holding out for the special DESKTOP monitors Apple releases in conjunction with Leopard that feature iPhone-like gesture control directly on a 30-degree angle 24" monitor with Multi-Touch.

For only $10,999.99. Give it a few years, I think.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta View Post

I am very happy with my 23" cinema display right now. I don't really see a need to come out with new ones right away. Whats wrong with the current ones?

There are a couple of things:

1. More inputs. How come a Dell monitor which is cheaper and typically uses the same panel has way more inputs? Like an S-video, component, maybe even an extra HDMI/DVI would be great.

2. Built-in iSight. This is something everyone is waiting for, especially since the current iSight seems to have been EOLed.

So, there you go.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TKN View Post

There are a couple of things:

1. More inputs. How come a Dell monitor which is cheaper and typically uses the same panel has way more inputs? Like an S-video, component, maybe even an extra HDMI/DVI would be great.

They don't, as already mentioned. The display which do, has the same options for input as the ACDs - dual-link DVI-D. Anyway, two DVI connectors (as you mentioned) would probably be far more useful than S-video or component. That is, unless you have a Xbox or Wii you want to use with the display.

Quote:

2. Built-in iSight. This is something everyone is waiting for, especially since the current iSight seems to have been EOLed.

Not me. I never use webcams, though Apples new technologies for displaying slideshows and documents over iChat is great, but does not require a webcam. Anyway, I expect a large majority of those who pay for Apple displays won't use iSights, since it seems more like a toy than a tool, and due to expense, most consumers do not buy Cinema Displays.

Thinner bezels could be a nice thing if you're using two of them.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

I was hoping to see some updates to the mini (C2D), airport express (N and gigabit ports), monitors (built-in iSight). I was ready to purchase all three but it seems no monitor updates. I need a 23" but want to wait until I see how they are going to go on the i-Sight.

I am guessing we will have some answers in a week on some hardware but monitors may wait until February before being upgraded to coincide with Apple TV? Then Apple Inc. is in the TV business but I am not sure the i-Sight would come with the monitors then.

Thoughts?

I'd say your speculation on monitors is on the right track, and they will be updated with iSight soon, but when is a guessing game. Personally my guess is that they shouldn't be that far off. NAB is in April, (14-19) NAMM is the 18th - 21st, of Jan but monitors doesn't seem like something NAMM would showcase. Maybe a special event sometime, but again it's a guessing game.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    I got tired of waiting on Apple and picked up a 24" Gateway. It's one heck of a monitor for $611!
  • Reply 30 of 42
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    I do a decent amount of videoconferencing, and it is definitely a chicken/egg situation. Nobody will use it if it isn't pervasive.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TKN View Post

I do a decent amount of videoconferencing, and it is definitely a chicken/egg situation. Nobody will use it if it isn't pervasive.

Actually, I think this may be true, but not for hardware. Rather, I think the problem lies with the software. Being in Sweden, MSN is de facto standard, and the only client available for Mac which is capable of video to other MSN users is aMSN, and no one wants to use that. Otherwise the only alternative is Skype.

In my belief, the iChat balloon interface sucks majorly. I want lots of text in a small area, not huge amounts of useless space. Take a hint from Irssi, or any text based IRC or IM client, please. Lightweight and slim is the order of the day, if you're looking to get a serious user base and not the "ooh shiney"-crowd. They do minimalist everywhere else, why not iChat?
  • Reply 32 of 42
    rem#1rem#1 Posts: 67member
    With Toshiba out of the SED race wouldn't it be interesting if Apple really took a leap and produced a truly unique set of flat panel monitors using SED. They would have no screens in the market place that could compete on quality.

SED gives you the thinness of LCD or Plasma, their low power consumption with the contrast, gamma and response time of CRT monitors.

The only problems are cost and timing. With timing being the bigger problem as Canon hasn't built the plant yet.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by REM#1 View Post

With Toshiba out of the SED race wouldn't it be interesting if Apple really took a leap and produced a truly unique set of flat panel monitors using SED. They would have no screens in the market place that could compete on quality.

SED gives you the thinness of LCD or Plasma, their low power consumption with the contrast, gamma and response time of CRT monitors.

The only problems are cost and timing. With timing being the bigger problem as Canon hasn't built the plant yet.

I think OLED is a bit more likely.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    I just got new glasses. I've never seen better. I'm fortunate to have both a MacBook 13" and a Cinema Display (which I've wanted to replace with a bigger one). It's quite nice how much sharper the MacBook's 113 ppi density is, when compared to the 100 ppi of the Cinema (and it's only about 11% better). I think I'll wait for higher resolution displays before I pull the trigger on a new one. With resolution independence built into Leopard, hopefully they'll be coming soon.

I really don't care too much about any other new features, like multiple inputs, cameras, etc. Higher resolution is my top priority.

Oh, and I'm not talking about the glossy MacBook display, in case you're thinking that makes the difference. The difference is smaller pixel size and the less jagged text that results. I read a lot online so jagged text gets annoying after a while.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    Quote:

I really don't care too much about any other new features, like multiple inputs, cameras, etc. Higher resolution is my top priority.

I'm with you, all I really need is a 1920x1200 20 inch display.. all this OLED stuff would be cool too
  • Reply 36 of 42
    f1turbof1turbo Posts: 257member
    I'd like an updated 30" monitor too. Here's a good comparison between Apple, Dell and Samsung. The Samsung is the newest, which shows in the specs. Note response time (6 msec in Samsung, 16 msec in Apple) and contrast ratio (1000:1 in Samsung vs. 400:1 in Apple). Plus the Dell and Samsung both have height adjustment which the Apple lacks.

http://www.pcmag.com/compare_product...pt=0&sid=26265

Anyone know where to buy the Samsung? If you click on the "check prices" link in the PC Mag review, it only comes up with a Samsung camcorder battery
  • Reply 37 of 42
    rem#1rem#1 Posts: 67member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Turbo View Post

I'd like an updated 30" monitor too. Here's a good comparison between Apple, Dell and Samsung. The Samsung is the newest, which shows in the specs. Note response time (6 msec in Samsung, 16 msec in Apple) and contrast ratio (1000:1 in Samsung vs. 400:1 in Apple). Plus the Dell and Samsung both have height adjustment which the Apple lacks.

http://www.pcmag.com/compare_product...pt=0&sid=26265

Anyone know where to buy the Samsung? If you click on the "check prices" link in the PC Mag review, it only comes up with a Samsung camcorder battery

Also check the Apple store as th price they have for apple is way off. The list the price as $3299 when I checked the Apple store the price is $1999 with a referb for $1699.

Apple still need to replace the monitors!!!
  • Reply 38 of 42
    Quote:

So far the Samsung is just vaporware. I've yet to find it available for purchase anywhere.

The specs and prices in that review are out of date.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

So far the Samsung is just vaporware. I've yet to find it available for purchase anywhere.

The specs and prices in that review are out of date.

You're right, I thought it was just the price that was out of date. Still better numbers on the Samsung, but not quite as much difference as I thought.

Apple: Brightness: 400 cd/m2

Contrast: 700:1

Response time (typical): 14 ms

Samsung: Brightness: 400 cd/m2

Contrast: 1000:1

Response time (gray to gray): 6 ms

Response time delta may actually be larger than shown since Samsung is quoting gray to gray and Apple is quoting typical, correct?
  • Reply 40 of 42
    Quote:

Response time delta may actually be larger than shown since Samsung is quoting gray to gray and Apple is quoting typical, correct?

Yeah, I think that's the way it works. All displays are so bright and fast these days, it doesn't seem to really matter what the specs are (laptops being the exception). I suppose if you watch a lot of fast action movies or games, response time is important.

I hope Apple hurries up and updates their displays. I'm looking at the 30" models from everyone. Since HP has a new one and Samsung (apparently) has a new one and Dell has introduced a new one, whenever Apple makes a move I'll be able to make a decision.