Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

Wrong.

Silicon Valley.

Try again!

You don't give him the answer and THEN say try again!
  • Reply 22 of 42
    The MacBU is jointly sited in Mountain View (in the valley) and Redmond (at the Death Star) so that argument's a tie. Apparently like Google, they consider it a good thing to keep their teams all over the place. I suspect shirking from managers has a role in this in reality!

Anyway, I actually feel for the Mac devs at MS. Their apps used to be pretty good, and still are of course the lingua franca for file exchange. But developing in Carbon must suck and they really must reconsider that after this version. Cocoa in Xcode is where its at and where it's all going to be. Considering the farce surrounding their dumping visual basic in Mac Office (which really screws a bunch of people as talked about in comments here) and the recent antics going on with the .docx etc. converter for Office 2007 files, you'd think they realise that their long term struggle is only ever going to get worse if they keep going where they have been.

Office 2007 is an advance on the Windows side, but what I'm seeing of Word 2008 at least does not give me much hope. I do want to give the MacBU the benefit of the doubt though, because having tried Pages with some real life work, my faith in iWork is far from complete. Apple's typical secrecy around its development really doesn't help. And for all you may or may not think about MS's style of UI and so forth, their apps are going to be used professionally in a way that Apple's iWork is not for a few years to come.

Nice ideas about a file database / iTunes inspired office app by the way. A code shop out there could be well advised to take that maxim and create their own up to date, robust, and responsively developed productivity app. I know a few prospective buyers including myself. For such an old genre, there's a world still left for improvement!
  • Reply 23 of 42
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    AHHHHHHHH!

The pin stripping is HORID. Get with it Microsoft!
  • Reply 24 of 42
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Can't wait to use Word 2008.

I got used to Word on a Mac 20 years ago when I was writing my thesis with Word 5.1a.

I enjoy the general look, familiarity and usability of Word, still present 20 years later. In fact, I enjoy writing with Word so much that I can't get the same pleasure with OpenOffice, although it's free.

There is a place for software that you have to pay for, especially if the price is reasonable. In that regard, I appreciate the teacher/student edition, and special offers where you can bundle Microsoft Office products with the purchase of a new Mac.

As a comparison, Microsoft Word alone was costing $600 in 1989. It was really too expensive then, but revised prices and special offers make it much more affordable nowadays.

Thanks Microsoft for the good work and reasonable prices.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

I got used to Word on a Mac 20 years ago when I was writing my thesis with Word 5.1a.

I enjoy the general look, familiarity and usability of Word, still present 20 years later. In fact, I enjoy writing with Word so much that I can't get the same pleasure with OpenOffice, although it's free.

There is a place for software that you have to pay for, especially if the price is reasonable. In that regard, I appreciate the teacher/student edition, and special offers where you can bundle Microsoft Office products with the purchase of a new Mac.

As a comparison, Microsoft Word alone was costing $600 in 1989. It was really too expensive then, but revised prices and special offers make it much more affordable nowadays.

• Reply 26 of 42
    Quote:

Really? Or is it "Merci, Uncle Bill...merci!". "Heille mon ami, t'aimes ça les pétates?"
  • Reply 27 of 42
    I thought Microsoft deserved a little praise for their excellent software, if only to counter the general negativity I read in previous posts.

Not everything Microsoft does is evil. And not everything Apple does deserves praise for either quality or fair pricing.

I guess that I don't fall for the Reality Distortion Field. I'm inclined to believe that 95% of people can't be wrong. They just put their money where they see value.

• Reply 28 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

AHHHHHHHH!

The pin stripping is HORID. Get with it Microsoft!

There is no pin stripping you moron!!! Its because the picture was taken with a camera of the screen so the camera is picking up on the lines of the pixels.

Idiots stop trying to pick up on every little thing just so you have a fucking piss and moan, JEEZ!!!!!
  • Reply 29 of 42
    Quote:

II guess that I don't fall for the Reality Distortion Field. I'm inclined to believe that 95% of people can't be wrong.

Insults like that won't get you anywhere here.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    To be fair to ouragan, I thought Office v.X and Office 2004 were both pretty decent products, although Office 2004 did start to piss me off with the little compatibility check thing and their desire for numerous alerts and palettes. Plus, if I create something in Pages, can I open it on a PC with Word, because I didn't think pages let you save as a .doc.

Of course, after looking at Office 2008, I was utterly terrified by the interface.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChrisDaMacMan View Post

There is no pin stripping you moron!!! Its because the picture was taken with a camera of the screen so the camera is picking up on the lines of the pixels.

Idiots stop trying to pick up on every little thing just so you have a fucking piss and moan, JEEZ!!!!!

You idiot. That is clearly pin stripping. Look at the desktop! Not pinstriped.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    Through Office 2008, Microsoft continues to willfully interact with (and therby invest in) the Mac community though its well-thought-out and meaningful, however limited, contributions in software and services.

How would you describe it?
  • Reply 33 of 42
    I have never under stood why Microsoft tries to make a "page layout" program out of a "word processor" They are two different things.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Quick-and-dirty

• Reply 35 of 42
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yeah. Office 2004 was decent, if somewhat limited. Office hasn't really improved much since 97. In fact Word 5.1 had a great interface. It just worked. This new version looks truly awful. And again, I'm a fan of Mac Office in general. I think it's probably intentional, and marching orders from above the MacBU. This is probably the last version of Mac Office anyway. It already lacks VBA. By the time this new Office comes out, NeoOffice + iWork will be enough to compensate. NeoOffice/OpenOffice is really coming along.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AgNuke1707 View Post

Plus, if I create something in Pages, can I open it on a PC with Word, because I didn't think pages let you save as a .doc.

Pages does let you save in doc format. However, if it is an moderately complex document, it will not look as intended. I simply styled document will convert fine though.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...ise-deployment

Looks like MS is getting with the program and using Apple's Installer. This is great news for ARD sers such as myself. Yay!
  • Reply 38 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Yeah. Office 2004 was decent, if somewhat limited. Office hasn't really improved much since 97. In fact Word 5.1 had a great interface. It just worked. This new version looks truly awful. And again, I'm a fan of Mac Office in general. I think it's probably intentional, and marching orders from above the MacBU. This is probably the last version of Mac Office anyway. It already lacks VBA. By the time this new Office comes out, NeoOffice + iWork will be enough to compensate. NeoOffice/OpenOffice is really coming along.

Well it's Office... What exactly did you expect it to do? The point of Office isn't being best of breed, innovative, or to do anything special actually except remain 100% compatible with Office.

The only reason I ever use the mess is because nearly everyone I have to work with dumps Word and Excel files on me and I really have neither the time nor patience to play with NeoOffice in the hopes it will mostly work. Pages is very nice, I use it personally all the time, but once again the whole point of Office is... it's Office. that's about it. How much Micro$oft charges for this whole mess, I personally don't really care, every corporation I've ever worked with has a site license and throws copies of it at anybody who walks through their doors and has to work with them.

Personally I'm expecting very little so I doubt I'll be dissapointed. The only thing I'd really like for it to be is a universal binary, it's a little stupid when an old PowerBook G4 still launches the whole mess faster than a MBP C2D 2.40GHz.

Give me a UB of this mess and update it once in a while to remain compatible and that's about all I expect. I don't really expect to ever see another Office for the Mac after this one, hopefully it won't be necessary, Pages is coming along quite nicely. Of course I spend most of my day living in CS3, which is where I make my living and if I needed Excel to work right, I'd probably be running Excel under Parallels.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Yeah, Quick and Dirty? I didn't get it either....
  • Reply 40 of 42
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aiolos View Post

Yeah, Quick and Dirty? I didn't get it either....

As in: "Not formatted screen captures from the machine we are running Office on, but rather digital snapshots of the screen of the computer running Office that we got close enough to photograph."