Unofficial Mac tablet draws record crowd at Macworld (high-res photos)

Comments

• Reply 41 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Axiotron, Inc., together with distribution partner Other World Computing, is drawing huge crowds at the Macworld Expo in San Francisco this week, as attendees flock to take its new Mac OS X-based "ModBook" tablet computer for a test run.

I said it right after the keynote* that the mechanical keyboard on Mac laptops could now be replaced by the MultiTouch technology, could include a numerical keypad and eliminate the current trackpad by simply pressing two thumbs on the virtual space bar to switch the keyboard to a trackpad. In addition, add a phone which you would dial via the numeric keypad.

As well, I predict that now the techology is available, a tablet is a no brainer.

Actually it is already coming, i.e., the first iteration being the iPhone. I can see Steve and Johnny Depp now: Remember the pinch techology in his keynote. Take the iPhone, pinch you fingers together over the iPhone and slowly spread ALL you fingers apart and voila, the iTablet.

Think about it: iTablet, iTabletPro, iTabletPhone, iTabletProPhone. (Including a new graphic iStylus) And why not a iBookPhone, iBookProPhone. All with video via iTunes and video conferencing via iSight. All with the 200 new patents included.

Remember what Steve said about Leopard. "First I want to tell you there are some top secret features that we're keeping close to the chest."

Remember the teaser ad, "The first 30 years were just the beginning. Welcome to 2007."

Remember Steves last words, "We'll see you all soon."

Don't be surprised what he says next.

* http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...75#post1022175
  • Reply 42 of 104
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Apple usually avoids bringing out a product unless they feel they have a market and most importantly can get it right. Apple has shown that getting the design right is crucial.
  • Reply 43 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

And remember Steves last words, "We'll see you all soon."

Did he really say that? I thought he was leaving for 6 weeks on vacation or something.
  • Reply 44 of 104
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

I said it right after the keynote* that the mechanical keyboard on Mac laptops could now be replaced by the MultiTouch technology, could include a numerical keypad and eliminate the current trackpad by simply pressing two thumbs on the virtual space bar to switch the keyboard to a trackpad. In addition, add a phone which you would dial via the numeric keypad.

As ........

Actually no it isn't. Try using Maya with just the screen. Maya, or most any application that is made for art, uses the keyboard with multiple key combinations (hotkey combo's) and a three button mouse all in conjunction. Also if your typing on the screen you've taken so much of the screen away. Sure you can choose to use it that way if you wanted to, but a tablet is not a mobile phone either. So if you like to on screen type you should have the option, but if you need something else that you need with a laptop you can just flip it around. And there - you have the best of both worlds, and now everybody is happy. I could just see Steve doing the whole presentation without the keyboard, and then saying, but if your still into that last century thing - (he flips it around) there you go - just like your last MacBook Pro. With some incredible new features to play with of course.
  • Reply 45 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

Well, the only bad thing that I'm unclear about on this, is that it doesn't look like you can rotate the screen from landscape to portrait. Usually tablets are designed to be held in portrait mode with one arm while you're moving with them. At least I haven't seen a picture of this yet with the screen rotated.

For what it's worth - that was a question I asked one of the presenters at the OWC booth. She indicated that they are still working on tweaking that aspect of their software package. Axiotron does intend to bring that feature to the Modbook. I had to ask a couple of times for her to concede that it may not happen until after April though.

I had the same reaction after the wow factor wore off a bit during the unveiling - it just seemed awkward to carry it in landscape - than again I'm used to holding clipboards portrait-wise in the field.

So, long story short: Axiotron intends to have that feature but may be later than the ship date.
  • Reply 46 of 104
    Without a convertible keyboard, or at least an integrated stand for use with an external, portable usb keyboard, I find this horribly uninteresting. There's a reason the slate format has basically failed for PC Tablets. I hope they're working on a convertible version.
  • Reply 47 of 104
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Well, they have to do something with all those MacBook keyboards lying around. I'm sure we'll see keyboard add-ons soon.

I am really impressed with the design. It's niche market, but still a viable solution for several industries.
  • Reply 48 of 104
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cromas View Post

Without a convertible keyboard, or at least an integrated stand for use with an external, portable usb keyboard, I find this horribly uninteresting. There's a reason the slate format has basically failed for PC Tablets. I hope they're working on a convertible version.

I'd hazard that most tablets are still slates with external keyboards. There are good flip tops but primarily folks want a tablet for 3 reasons:

1) Form factor...a slate is thinner than most laptops and convertibles and can be used quickly.

2) Note taking is less obtrusive with a stylus than clicking away on a keyboard. Plus you can draw diagrams. You can also do so when you have no flat surface to put your laptop on.

3) Some folks prefer pen interaction than keyboarding or its more appropriate for the work (ie artists).

The key to successful tablet use is applications designed for pen interaction and no keyboard and better handwriting and voice recognition at the os level. That and a decent dock for desktop use.

For example, the Motion Computing tablets have this odd cover with built in keyboard that connects to the tablet via USB and also holds the tablet upright and they have this dock that can hold it even more securely and has a couple USB ports. Neither are really that great.

If you could make a fliptop about as thin as the MBP then that would work. Physically I don't think you can.

Thinking about it, perhaps the best design would be a laptop form factor with the computer part in the screen section that could be easily detached (but securely attached when in notebook mode) and the keyboard part holding the optical drive, a second battery and a second HD, duplicate ports. The screen part holds the CPU, large flash drive or small HD, minimal ports on the bottom (which are covered in laptop mode).

A pair of 8GB Expresscard flash drives would work for me when detached. And if installed in a way I could get at i could replace them as they started to wear out or bigger/faster drives that were within my price range appeared (like say the 64GB drives dropped down to a couple hundred rather than a couple thousand bucks).

Vinea
  • Reply 49 of 104
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Thinking about it, perhaps the best design would be a laptop form factor with the computer part in the screen section that could be easily detached (but securely attached when in notebook mode) and the keyboard part holding the optical drive, a second battery and a second HD, duplicate ports. The screen part holds the CPU, large flash drive or small HD, minimal ports on the bottom (which are covered in laptop mode).Vinea

This sounds pretty good. Also, something like (gag) Windows' sideshow feature, which has a second screen on the outside of the closed laptop might work. Use a screen like on the iPhone (only bigger) and flash memory. Of course this would be just as heavy as a normal laptop.
  • Reply 50 of 104
    Quote:

I'd hazard that most tablets are still slates with external keyboards. There are good flip tops but primarily folks want a tablet for 3 reasons:

1) Form factor...a slate is thinner than most laptops and convertibles and can be used quickly.

2) Note taking is less obtrusive with a stylus than clicking away on a keyboard. Plus you can draw diagrams. You can also do so when you have no flat surface to put your laptop on.

3) Some folks prefer pen interaction than keyboarding or its more appropriate for the work (ie artists).

The key to successful tablet use is applications designed for pen interaction and no keyboard and better handwriting and voice recognition at the os level. That and a decent dock for desktop use...............

Vinea

Says who? People that use (slate) tablets now are people that can use a slate tablet with that limited functionality. People that don't use slate tablets, or any tablet don't use them because they need more functionality than what is available in a slate, or the MS OS. That's why not a lot of people use them. There are many people that don't use it because what they need it for isn't available, and if you take the keyboard away all your catering to is the people that can get by with just the slate. And that is the niche market.
  • Reply 51 of 104
    With 200 new patents in the iPhone, only a few, if any, have yet to be incorporated into the Mac lineup. Certainly, based on the illustrations submitted to the patent office, the Multi-Touch technology is undoubtedly the way of the future. This is in no way the lightweight touch screen technology that we are now using. Wacom doesn't have it. Only Apple does.

When you see how easy it was to switch to the keyboard on the iPhone, imagine doing so on a larger screen such as a tablet. Full keyboard size. It will take a little getting used to, but remember the squawks when the first comuter keyboard replaced the Underwood typewriter.

For now, the ModBook has the advantage. Need a keyboard, use one of the USB ports or Bluetooth. But in the future, Multi-Touch will allow onscreen typing as an alternative and the use of a stylus that will make the Wacom technology not only redundant but significantly inferior.

By the way, Steve's negative comment on the stylus referred to having to have to use one to operate such cell phones as the Treo, etc.

What I find intriguing, and I may be reading too much into it, but it is the way that the iPhone was presented and the words used to do so, e.g., "?today Apple is going to re-invent the phone." Now obviously, he was directing the comment to mobile devices. However, the alliance with AT&T makes a compelling argument that Apple is going to be a bigger part of our home communication systems and perhaps even appear on our refrigerator doors.

One more thought. If iPhone is integrated in the iTunes technology and that is part of the new Apple TV, how hard would it be to call mom from you big screen? Which is really a very enlarged tablet.
  • Reply 52 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

There is absolutely zero market for this. It won't exist in a year's time.

I disagree. There may not be a large market, but a market nonetheless. What is your opinion based on?
  • Reply 53 of 104
    I think he was referring to a successful market.
  • Reply 54 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

There is absolutely zero market for this. It won't exist in a year's time.

Perhaps, but the economics of this device are appealing. There isn't much in the way of fixed manufacturing costs that would prevent the ModBook from being successful as a low-volume product. Basically, it's just a few commodity parts, an assembly job, and a custom bezel. I bet the NREs for the project were quite low.

Personally, if I had $2300, I'd buy one right away. But I happen to be working on my house right now so I can't.
  • Reply 55 of 104
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    To everybody griping about it not being convertable... buy a folding bluetooth keyboard and you are good to go! The functionality returns, without the extra bulk.

From a cost perspective I understand that this is the easiest way to build a low-volume tablet, although I would have loved to see them go with a higher resolution screen, ditch the optical drive, upgrade the battery, and go with 1.8" hard drives. For what it is, though... it seems like a compelling product and they will likely sell a hundred thousand of them in 12 months. Not too shabby.
  • Reply 56 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jp_flashman View Post

steve even said in his keynote who likes a stylus!

He says stuff like that to look smart, especially when a competitor has such a feature. He also says Apple couldn't add value to a cell phone...

People who hate shitty onscreen keyboards would love a tablet. Unfortunately, and improbably, InkWell is significantly worse than Rosetta when it comes to recognition, so I guess until Apple gets that fixed, 'nobody' is the correct temporary answer.
  • Reply 57 of 104
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    check this out, I posted this a few years again on Apple original idea of table back in the 90's.

They did the exact same thing even copied the way to store the pen.

Look here
  • Reply 58 of 104
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Says who? People that use (slate) tablets now are people that can use a slate tablet with that limited functionality. People that don't use slate tablets, or any tablet don't use them because they need more functionality than what is available in a slate, or the MS OS. That's why not a lot of people use them. There are many people that don't use it because what they need it for isn't available, and if you take the keyboard away all your catering to is the people that can get by with just the slate. And that is the niche market.

And a slate is a much more functional PDA that's about the size of a paper notepad (but much thicker and heavier) that people carry around to take notes on.

Are you saying that the PDA and paper notebook form factors are not in wide use and useful? The fact that XP Tablet and OneNote is so-so doesn't mean that more elegant solutions (and usable) solutions are not possible.

The key is better handwriting and voice recognition along with gesture support in the OS. We've just seen gestures added to the iPhone OSX. Mac OSX shouldn't lag too far.

Done right its not niche. Done right it gives you most of the power of a notebook computer in the form factor of a paper note pad accessible with nothing more than a finger/stylus, microphone and buttons on the side.

My office mate uses Dragon to write memos. Its not great but a lot better than a decade ago.

Vinea
  • Reply 59 of 104
    there in fact is a way to rotate the display (some where in system preferances or the terminal), I am almost positive, at least, but the resolution will stay at wahtever it is, resulting in an odd picture on the sceen, but if you rotated the image, the touch screen would not rotate, so you would be drawing or writing sideways.

And I think that there would be a market, even a sucesful one, for this, but for its high price.
  • Reply 60 of 104
    Quote:

And a slate is a much more functional PDA that's about the size of a paper notepad (but much thicker and heavier) that people carry around to take notes on.

Are you saying that the PDA and paper notebook form factors are not in wide use and useful? ..........................

Vinea

I'm saying yes, but if your talking about a PDA then your into iPhones category so keep them separate. If your talking about Slate only tablet computer's - I'm saying the reason it is a niche is because it is a slate, and there is no using it for many people because of their limited functionality, and that is because they don't have the keyboard. And no one wants to carry a second keyboard around with them just to use it.

That is why I don't have one, or a MacBook Pro, and still rely on PowerMac and a wacom to do everything. I would love to bring my work with me on the weekends, or anytime for that matter. Adding an onscreen keyboard to a slate just wont work in Maya, or any art application that well. #1 it takes up a part of my screen, and if you remember the reason for the big screen from Apple was primarily for artists using our types of applications. Photoshop, and video professionals needed more, and Apple answered. Putting a multi-touch keyboard on the screen is a great idea, and when you can use it it's going to be useful. But artists wont use the onscreen keyboard 70% of the time. And I am not buying both a MacBook Pro, and an iTablet, or Tablet.

Students, Technical, medical, and office professionals will probably use it as a slate more than anyone, but even an office pro will want to type on a screen that is positioned in an upright manner like a display while typing on a flat surface, and so will students. (your neck will get sore otherwise), and that is an ergonomic issue. There is also people that use applications made for art that wont be able to use it as a slate for many things, and that is why the slate cuts off a huge part of the demographic. It's very niche unless it's convertible. Because you'll still need a usable desktop if your a student, Office pro, or artist. Most will choose the desktop, and the proof is in the #'s. They already have.