When and about what do you think the next special event will be?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Now that MWSF has ended with no Mac announcements and given Apple's history of unveiling products shortly after this show; When do you think the next special event will be and what do you think will be unveiled?

I am trying to be patient and wait for updates before I buy my Mac but it is excruciating waiting for this to occur.

For anyone who knows the history does Apple have any predictable pattern that it follows?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    1. TV Shows and Movies come to Europe.

2. Leopard, iWork & Keynote demo's and release dates.

3. New Keyboard design with USB 2 ports, and iPod dock.

4. Introducing the all new Cinema displays with IR, iSight's, and a design to go perfectly with Leopard's UI design.

Febuary 22nd.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    xsmixsmi Posts: 139member
    Tues. Feb 13 Octo MacPro with Adobe there to tout Performance of Photoshop in Rosetta until the Universal update debuts. Shipping at the end of the month. Leopard preinstalled. Macmini quietly upgraded to Core2duo before this.
  • Reply 3 of 36
    Ha! This thread took a turn I was not expecting-people naming specific days. I really like that idea, and I will throw my prediction in to the mix:

January 26th-the Friday before the Monday Vista launch

1-Mac mini updates

2-iLife07-though I don't think it will be called this

3-Leopard release date
  • Reply 4 of 36
    You did ask "when annd what", and there are lots of people on Ai who have little voices whispering secrets in their ears.8)

I like the idea of a pre-Vista trump card, but I believe that it follows too closely on the heels of the iPhone announcement (which in its own way was a Vista trumper). Also, with no software nor computer-repated announcements last week (as if we really needed anything other than the phone), lots of goodies must be jjust about ready to pop out.

Personally, I don't see an octopus coming quite yet; Steve is a present-day Nemo of sorts, but I do see him going towards a few steadier products; the big ones aren't made for special events.

Group 1 (late Feb, early Mar)

- Leopard

- new displays

Group 2 (Apr)

- iLife update

- TV shows and movies in Japan (forget Europe!)

- new iMac

- new iPod

Group 3 (May?)

- iWork major update

- new MBP super porttable with quicktouchpad instead of track pad, othe hot things

The MB, Mac mini and some apps will be updated along the way. Possibly, Leopard will nt come until WWDC, but that is late.

Steve likes themes, and this will be a big year (he said lost is coming). I can't wait.

Group 4 (not soon enough)

- iPhone on sale in Japan
  • Reply 5 of 36
    I'd love to see displays with new technologies...

iSight camera

a wheel which will allow portrait and landscape views - and accelerometer too like iPhone ;-)

IR reciever

I think we'll see the next event mid March .. dont recall any feb. events last year?
  • Reply 6 of 36
    Did you all forget the Beatles coming to iTunes and special edition iPod event?
  • Reply 7 of 36
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
    i like the notion of annoucing the date of the next event just pre-vista release or aroudn vista release.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    I'll try too:

early Feb (hardware):

- Mac mini update: C2D and 802.11n

- Octo Mac Pro BTO update, one model 8x2.66 +$1500 ($3999)

mid March (software mostly):

- Leopard

- iLife '07

- iWork '07

- Pro Apps updates

- New displays (to show Leopard's RI)

end April (iPod+iTunes):

- Full screen iPods (multitouch, OS X based)

- Movies goes international

- The Beatles catalog on iTunes

early June (used to be the WWDC):

- iPhone, available immediately

- Santa Rosa iMac, available immediately

- Santa Rosa MacBook Pro (including multitouch pad), new 13" model, available next month

- Octo Mac Pro all the way (8x2.00, 8x2.33, 8x2.66) + new video cards, $2499-$3999, available immediately

- The new xMac: Bearlake/Yorkfield (4x2.00, 4x2.33, 4x2.66), $1499-$2499, available next month (What? Can't we dream?)

mid September (apple Expo Paris):

- iPod nano updates

- MacBook updates (Santa Rosa) + new 15" model

• Reply 9 of 36
    My time line...

Early January:

Macworld - announcements but no new shipping products.

End of January:

New Mac Pros with latest quad-core technology

New Cinema Displays with lower pricing

Shipping in about a week after announcement

Early February:

New Mac Pros, AppleTV, Airport Extreme n base station, cinema displays start shipping

Mid February:

Special Event

Recap of recent new products, AppleTV, 802.11n

New Mac mini with Core2 Duo

New iLife suite previewed - shipping by end of March

New iWork suite previewed - with new spreadsheet applications, ready to go

New "Top Secret" Leopard features revealed, shipping still "Spring"

End of March:

Shipping new version of iLife suite

Special Event

Release date of Leopard announced - April 28

New iMacs announced

- New high resolution display

- LED Backlight?

- Shipping with Leopard

New MacBook Pro Announced

? Shipping with 10.5 Leopard at end of April

? Santa Rosa chip set w/faster FSB,etc.

? New high resolution display (150-160 ppi), with resolution independence, and possibly backlit with LED technology

? Adopts some key features from MacBook: removeable hard drive, magnetic latch

? new enclosure?

End of April:

Leopard and new versions of iMac, MacBook Pro start shipping

End of May:

Special Event

New MacBooks announced with Santa Rosa technology

15-inch widescreen version of MacBook added, resolution independence

Availability of iPhone

New iPods based on iPhone multi-touch technology and software

June:

iPhones ship

New version Airport Express to include 802.11n technology
  • Reply 10 of 36
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    OK,

Let me add to the mix:

February

MacPro octo-core

Cinema displays price reduction.

AppleTV shipping

Airport Extreme shipping

April

Leopard shipping

iwork shipping

ilife shipping

New apps for both apps suites above

May

iMac update

MacMini update

June-July

iPhone shipping

New bare bones lower price iPhone version announce

MacBook update

August

WWDC:

MacPro new case redesign (octo-core updates)

Cinema Displays redesign and new bigger than 40" Cinema Display (iSight optional on displays)

stand alone iSight

Final Cut Studio apps upgrade

MacBook pro updates

October

New line iPods

New widescreen iPod

New movie partners

New iTunes version

Also sometime this year something new and cool. Maybe the MacBook smaller size, etc.

Cheers!
  • Reply 11 of 36
    Finally a rumor to at least hope is true:

http://www.looprumors.com/article.ph...ary,2017365289
  • Reply 12 of 36
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Special event with iLife /iWork '07 announcement, brief demo, and release (with iWork bundled with new Macs, one can only hope) + jaw-dropping "Top Secret" Leopard demo preview with late spring release date... just previous to, on, or immediately following Vista's release.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I have never understood this idea that the iLife and iWork updates will wait for Leopard.

Apple is all about the money these days, and it makes zero financial sense to tie these releases to Leopard upgraders only.

Both suites are huge profit centers for Apple's software division. While certain Keynote effects may be enhanced by Leopard, there is no reason to restrict these upgrades to such small numbers of potential customers.

I still say we'll have both iLife and iWork by the end of January.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

I still say we'll have both iLife and iWork by the end of January.

I agree - Apple would like the "07" version to sell for at least 11 months of 2007. After that, I suspect the market becomes quite thin. How many people are buying iLife 06 now that it's 2007 already? The name on the box tells you it's obsolete!
  • Reply 15 of 36
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I think iLife will be integrated into OSX.5 sales. Jobs hinted, or mentioned something about it, and I think it's going to happen. iLife will be a part of the OS X disk series from now on. That's my big guess.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

I think iLife will be integrated into OSX.5 sales. Jobs hinted, or mentioned something about it, and I think it's going to happen. iLife will be a part of the OS X disk series from now on. That's my big guess.

But it's a very wrong guess.

First of all, Jobs said no such thing, by hint or otherwise.

There's no reason to bundle the iLife suite since it sells very well on it's own.

Tying it to Leopard means that probably 90%+ of Mac users won't be able to use it in the first six to eight months.

Once there are sizable numbers of Leopard users, it will be almost time for iLife '08.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

How many people are buying iLife 06 now that it's 2007 already? The name on the box tells you it's obsolete!

thats rather limited thinking isnt it?

are you saying i cant use iLife 06 NOW... because its obsolete... bugger... what do you make of someone still using a G3 iMac? or is any work they do on it also obsolete?
  • Reply 18 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trendannoyer View Post

thats rather limited thinking isnt it?

are you saying i cant use iLife 06 NOW... because its obsolete... bugger... what do you make of someone still using a G3 iMac? or is any work they do on it also obsolete?

I wasn't referring to literal obsolescence - sheesh, I'm still using a five year-old Powerbook G4 even though Apple doesn't even sell them anymore. What I meant was that to the average consumer, a product suite from '06 (when it's '07) is old hat - they naturally are going to look for the same software with '07 across the title.

Unless software companies are planning to release a suite every year, it makes no sense to name it with the production year. For instance, I'm using the latest version of Microsoft Office - it's 2004! That's pretty weird if you ask me.

Anyway, I certainly won't be buying iLife '06 considering 2006 is over.

I wouldn't be surprised if computer companies started doing what car companies have been doing for decades - releasing the new model year 6 months before the new calendar year!
  • Reply 19 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

But it's a very wrong guess.

First of all, Jobs said no such thing, by hint or otherwise.

There's no reason to bundle the iLife suite since it sells very well on it's own.

Tying it to Leopard means that probably 90%+ of Mac users won't be able to use it in the first six to eight months.

Once there are sizable numbers of Leopard users, it will be almost time for iLife '08.

It might be a wrong guess, but Jobs _did_ insist on Leopard being "the complete package" and at one point said something like "we have all this great apps... ...and we're including them _all_" (I think he emphasized the "all"). I don't generally believe in reading too much into his words, but this really felt like it at least _could_ be about iL and maybe iW.

The suites needn't be "tied" to Leopard--it likely won't be a requirement, and they could still be sold separately (the price could be adjusted, and that would permit iL and iW '08, etc.)

Not saying this'll be, but the arguments against it are weak.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    I remember reading something saying the Beatles catalog would be released to iTunes in February. I'll try to track it down.