Apple to air 'special' Super Bowl ad on Feb. 4 - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

How about the "Paul is dead" special edition: plays everything backward. Also comes in handy for deciphering satanic instructions from your favorite death metal purveyors.

i thought the "plays everything backwards edition" was already out... the zoon i think its called
  • Reply 42 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by delreyjones View Post

Steve Jobs likes to focus and knows that "focus means saying no". He also likes beauty and the fantastic songs by the Beatles. I therefore predict the ad will be 90-95% about the Beatles' music, and 5-10% about Apple and its iPod/iTunes. The 5-10% will be subtle and understated; the ad will convey love for the music.

WHY A SUPERBOWL 6TH GEN IPOD LAUNCH MAKES SENSE

Consider this ---One of the knocks (which I do not quite buy) is that the lack of keyboard on the Iphone results in lack of tactile feedback. And that people will have to get used to it, etc etc.

Steve Ballmer also threw this out, in addition to some other journalists.

I believe another case can be made for launching the 6th Gen video Ipod for 2 important reasons: (i) consumer feedback and (ii) justifying Iphone price point positioning (not to mention obvious revenue and earnings impact in a seasonally slow time period).

SO, if you are Apple, why take a chance on entering the phone industry without some consumer feedback.

THUS, the launch of a Video Ipod with some other functionality (without OS X or Leopard) in late Feb/March would provide Apple a chance to let people BUY it, play with it and see how the feedback is. If they sell a million of them in a couple of months before the Iphone launch then during the 2months Apple could get some valuable consumer feedback, WITHOUT giving any of the Phone or Web or Messaging functionality.

THEY should still keep the current Ipod line available BUT price the new 6th video Ipod with touchscreen at say

$279-$399 price points THUS proving that consumers will in all likelihood pay the extra $200 for the phone, web and messaging functionality!
  • Reply 43 of 68
    willrobwillrob Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ashraman View Post

WHY A SUPERBOWL 6TH GEN IPOD LAUNCH MAKES SENSE

Consider this ---One of the knocks (which I do not quite buy) is that the lack of keyboard on the Iphone results in lack of tactile feedback. And that people will have to get used to it, etc etc.

Steve Ballmer also threw this out, in addition to some other journalists.

Here's a quote from Andy Ihnatko's review of the iPhone <<http://www.suntimes.com/technology/ihnatko/215441,CST-FIN-Andy18.article>>;

"I think the iPhone's virtual keyboard is a huge improvement over the mechanical thumbpads found on the Treo and any other smart phones of its size.

The buttons are significantly larger, you don't have to hit them dead-center, you lightly tap them instead of punching them down, and the software is smart enough to know that you meant to type "Tuesday" instead of "Tudsday."

After 30 seconds, I was already typing faster with the iPhone than I ever have with any other phone. I suspect that true e-mail demons will need to adapt to the lack of tactile feedback, though. "
  • Reply 44 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icibaqu View Post

a lot of people have probably seen the "i'm a mac, i'm a pc" ads, so perhaps a play on that.

Right before halftime

(Enter Steve Jobs stage right)

Steve: "Hi .. I'm a mac"

(Enter Bill Gates stage left)

Bill: "And I'm a pc .."

Steve: "Twenty three years ago we announced a revoluntionary computing platform called the Mac which changed the face of humanity as we know it .."

Bill: "Now mac, everyone knows that it was putting the Microsoft operating system in the hands of everyone that changed the face of computing .."

Steve: "Whatever pc .. anyhow, we're here today to put aside our differences and announce that Microsoft and Apple are merging into a single entity"

Bill: "That's right .. you see, Windows Vista really *is* Mac OS X underneath and we've secretly been working with Apple over the past 5 years to deliver this amazing new operating system. After Apple patented some revolutionary new technologies like multitouch - we knew we just couldn't keep competing on sheer install base alone .. "

Steve: "We've had our many differences in the past, but now we've decided to put them aside to give our customers the best possible elements from both companies all delivered in a single computing platform."

(Enter Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr)

Ringo: "That's right - all you need is love guys .."

Paul: "You know pc, you're not the only one who's had a problem with Apple .. but we too at Apple records have also decided to put aside our differences as well and join the Apple Inc family by adding all of our music to the iTunes library"

Steve: "It's a new computer revolution!"

(Group hug fades to a series of nostolagic apple, microsoft, and beatles photos ending with with a shot of a new mac running Leopard and Vista with a hint of multitouch functionality all with the Beatles' "Revolution" playing in the background)

Halftime show is a virtual 3D set from a classic Beatles concert projected in thin air ..
  • Reply 45 of 68
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I can't see apple spending the crazy amount of money superbowl commercials cost only promoting the beatles when they make next to nothing on songs, it's gotta be for some new ipod or other product too, it'd be too dumb to pass it up on the night with the highest viewership of anything.
  • Reply 46 of 68
    I'd bet my life its an iPhone spot. Yeah, all of us tech nuts know about the phone, but the world as a whole doesnt know much. A SuperBowl announcement send the message to EVERYONE.

Its an iPhone ad, so dont get your hopes up. Or we'll be back here on the 5th complaining.
  • Reply 47 of 68
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dancm2000 View Post

I'd bet my life its an iPhone spot. Yeah, all of us tech nuts know about the phone, but the world as a whole doesnt know much. A SuperBowl announcement send the message to EVERYONE.

Its an iPhone ad, so dont get your hopes up. Or we'll be back here on the 5th complaining.

So long before it's on sale? I'll take that bet, but I'm not sure how you'd pay it off.
  • Reply 48 of 68
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

So long before it's on sale? I'll take that bet, but I'm not sure how you'd pay it off.

I vote for Junkyard Dog style
  • Reply 49 of 68
    i agree with alot of the people that have posted on this thread, i think they should release the 6g ipod because, #1 the 5g ipod is really old, #2 they have the technology and equipment to, #3 competitors are catching up, #4 they didnt release much at the keynote, #5superbowl ads are expensive, so why waste it on the beatles, #6 people have been waiting and blogging on one for ages.

it just makes sense
  • Reply 50 of 68
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

That's right baby! Bring it on old school!
  • Reply 51 of 68
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

I was referring to dancm's statement that he'd bet his life on it, but he'd probably die just from trying it Junkyard Dawg style.
  • Reply 52 of 68
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Here comes the Truth Train!

...or was that someone else here?
  • Reply 53 of 68
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    MaDToOL His legacy lives on!
  • Reply 54 of 68
    The only way any true fanboy settles disputes is over some bigbang checkers!

Bring it!
  • Reply 55 of 68
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

MaDToOL His legacy lives on!

Ah, yes.
  • Reply 56 of 68

YouTube now has a preview of it!

Click: BEATLES + iTunes = Two Apples
  • Reply 57 of 68
    Do you expect us to not realize that you made that last year?

It's well done, though. But you don't have to be obtuse about your self-promotion attempt. Just go out and say "I made this last year... take a look. Do you think Apple will announce Beatles conent this year?"
  • Reply 58 of 68
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wojciechowski View Post

I know I would definitely not buy an iPod draped in a British Flag and neither would a majority of people outside the UK. It would look as tacky as an American Flag iPod.

I doubt many people within the UK would buy one either!
  • Reply 59 of 68
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gandalf the Semi-Coherent View Post

First off, Paul wouldn't say "I'm the Beatles" because he's not and he knows he's not. Plus, that statement would piss off every Beatles fan on the planet. Won't happen.

You are probably right that it won't happen. That said, if someone *was* going to "piss off every Beatles fan on the planet", well, who better than Paul?
  • Reply 60 of 68
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Interesting, it would be great to see the Beatles on iTunes.

I just hope someone reminds Apple that the Super Bowl is on Sunday the 3rd of February, NOT the 4th!