Notes of interest from Apple's Q107 conference call

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    So they're focusing on GSM/EDGE because that's where the USA is?

Well USA (and Apple)...the rest of us are quite keen on 3G ya know, so why not go for the bigger market first (the rest of the world), and wait until the USA catches up for once?
  • Reply 22 of 31
    Thanks for the job offer, guys, but I will have to decline. I don't think that my Japanese skills are sufficient nor that I have the right contacts.

Such a statement will get you very far in Japan, and could actually land you a well-paying job, like it did me ten years ago. I now have two personalities: one Japanese and one American, though it is fading away, slowly.

---

Nice ad site; hadn't seen it. I have often remarked at my various offices that use windows on the pixelated appearance, but would not have thought to bring that to an ad. That is brilliant and could actually work here; a large portion of the population engages in Japanese caligraphy, not to mention being obsessed with kanji characters and their various styles. Job applications can be tossed based solely on handwriting. It is the Chinese characters which actually created the fax boom in Japan; though developed in the US, there was no market and teletype worked well with the alphabet, but the fax filled a niche that the teletype couldn't with the many, many characters found over here.

I am thinking on a basic stand-alone QT movie that runs through the capabilities of the machine and actually started a thread looking for one not long ago. At my local computer shop, there is a nice Mac display with several computers with iPods scattered all around. The computers are dark (screen saver) and only one iPod has music churning through a speaker system.

Across the aisle, there are 20 odd PCs from various makers, all with lovely demos running that draw the customers over to them, much like the first Mac ad: "Hello." The Mac needs the same thing showing how easy it is to do everything you want and need with the included apps (plus Keynote and Pages, of course). Just 2-3 minutes long with interactive buttons (Tell me more) at the bottom for when the customer interacts with the machine. It could then lead them through a short DIY and then smile and say we're waiting for your credit card.

---

Apple has several big name customers in Japan including Tokyo University (the elite of all elites in the Japanese mind) and NHK, the main national broadcaster (their Olympic coverage was done on Macs).

Off to do a little surfing...
  • Reply 23 of 31
  • Reply 24 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NanoAkron View Post

Well USA (and Apple)...the rest of us are quite keen on 3G ya know, so why not go for the bigger market first (the rest of the world), and wait until the USA catches up for once?

Also the US uses different UMTS (3G) bands than the rest of the world. Adding the single 2100 MHz band would provide 3G support (and phone use in Japan/South Korea, given their lack of GSM) worldwide. You'd want something called HSDPA which is also backwards compatible with WDCMA (and FOMA these days, for our Japanese readers .

However the US uses two (soon 4, with T-Mobile) different bands. Therefore 3G support in the US requires either a thicker iPhone (to incorporate as many as FIVE bands if they care about T-Mobile, or three if they go with Cingular/world) or separate models for the US and the world.

Yep. The world actually got together and basically settled on UMTS and one band for 3G (versus 4 GSM bands) with an easy and backwards compatible upgrade path (so far WCDMA (3G)?>HSDPA (3.5G). We'll leave aside CDMA/EV-DO as they lost the war[1].

Until.

The US couldn't (politically that is, they wussed out) free up the same spectrum as everybody else. Sigh.

So a worldphone currently has to support 4 GSM bands, plus one UMTS band for the world, plus two to four UMTS bands for the United States. Ugh.

I suspect two models, because Apple won't want to dirty up their product line more than that:

QuadGSM/UMTS world

QuadGSM/UMTS US/Cingular

That way the you get GSM/GPRS/EDGE for voice and data everywhere, and 3G support in either the world or the US: pick one.

[1] Sure. There are prominent exceptions such as Au/KDDI in Japan, Telus & Bell in Canada, and Verizon in the United States. Nevertheless GSM/UMTS won in coverage and subscribers.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    CNN has a nice clip on the iPhone's impact in Japan and some good images of nice Japanese phones.

javascript:cnnVideo('play','/video/tech/2007/01/17/yoon.asia.iphone.so.what.cnn','2007/01/31');

Can't get this link to work right....

She miss-pronounces ketAI... should be flat.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    This is normal stuff around me... what is the situation back in the States?
  • Reply 27 of 31
    Gees, APPL is getting mauled in early trading. I guess the market didn't like Apple's Mac numbers.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Of course they have other plans, but this is definitely the future of the industry. I know I've watched more movies that my TiVo has recorded off cable than I've watched DVDs in the last few months. TiVo is like an iTV in which you have less control over your content... I see it as a natural progression to a post-TiVo market. If Apple starts offering subscriptions to their iTunes Video store, who needs cable or TiVo?

I'm suprised! It appears that AppleTV CAN NOT play and control DVDs you put in your Mac. I naturally assumed this was the case since Front Row has no problem with this. That blows! Apple needs to add this functionality before I buy.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm suprised! It appears that AppleTV CAN NOT play and control DVDs you put in your Mac. I naturally assumed this was the case since Front Row has no problem with this. That blows! Apple needs to add this functionality before I buy.

i don't see this as an issue. if you have this thing hooked up to your HDTV, you are most likely using a high def player for your DVD / HD DVD / Blu-Ray, and Apple TV is simply for that crap you have on your PC.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

i don't see this as an issue. if you have this thing hooked up to your HDTV, you are most likely using a high def player for your DVD / HD DVD / Blu-Ray, and Apple TV is simply for that crap you have on your PC.

That is the point. I don't want an extra DVD player. I have my HDTV on my wall and my Mac Mini sitting on the mantle. I planned on selling the Mac Mini to buy the AppleTV and Airport Extreme. I also planned on moving my Elgato DVR to my Mac Pro for it's speed and large capacity HDDs. The Mac Pro has a DVD player that I barely use, I really don't want to spend more money to purchase an up-converting DVD player when the Mac Pro is quite capable of handling this small feat.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NanoAkron View Post

Well said! They should provide a generic GSM or UMTS phone with network specific software localisation (because phones of a standard don't automatically work 100% anywhere) and get them out the door!

12 months for Asia? Apple, Asia will have reverse-engineered your product in 6, skirted around the patented features and added a load of extras to compensate (I think gizmo-tastic works best in Asia) - deliver globally by June or forget it!

McD