Apple's iPhone runs Mac OS X Leopard - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,577member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Er, mel... are you reading my post through the Bizarro Filter or something? Read what I said again. I am *ALSO* going with what Apple says... iPhone runs OS X. Not MacOS X. People who are assuming that it runs the *same* set of technologies as the Mac version of OS X are simply wrong.

Now, if you're taking that quote from Joswiak to mean that also included are items such as the drivers for Mac hardware, then I'd say you're reading far more into that quote than is believable. There would be no point. Note that 'core technologies' is the phrase used - I'd agree. I don't believe that add-on items such as voice recognition are a core technology. Furthermore, I don't believe that what will ship on the iPhone has *every single bit* of functionality as MacOS X. A lot of the legacy items that ship on a Mac have no need to be on that phone.

They will include the bits and pieces that make sense, and leave out those that don't. Pretty simple, and obvious from how modular OS X is.

I didn't say you weren't. The comment, and link I provided, was in support.

Not to say that your posts AREN't Bizarro.
  • Reply 42 of 66
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Ooooooookay. You've got a strange way of showing agreement by leading with "Not according to Apple" but, whatever. *shrug*
  • Reply 43 of 66
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Never mind. What Kickaha said o_O
  • Reply 44 of 66
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I'm really intrigued by the idea that Leopard might begin to explicitly decouple "OS X" from "Mac".

What if that was one of the cool top secret features: Leopard comes in multiple, purpose built flavors?

Instead of the MS path of Windows CE/Pocket PC/Mobile, which has a different code base from Windows per se but attempts to replicate the Windows desktop experience as much as possible, Apple can have one code base but tailor the attributes and UI to the device at hand, and all of it is "really" OS X.
  • Reply 45 of 66
    Ayup. I think it's probably the most exciting (possible) news out of MWSF.
  • Reply 46 of 66
    Quote:

Ayup. I think it's probably the most exciting (possible) news out of MWSF.

And the press isn't talking about it. Isn't that just absurd?
  • Reply 47 of 66
    Well I think it's obvious that even amongst the Macophiles, there's a lot of confusion over the specifics, and even the general ramifications of it all... and you expect journalists to figure it out? Pfft.
  • Reply 48 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k squared View Post

And the press isn't talking about it. Isn't that just absurd?

Because, it isn't news yet.

MS has many different implimentations of Windows. So far, Apple has two. Even though Apple says that this is OS X, we don't have a sample anywhere.

If Apple does open it up, as jobs has strongly hinted they will do, under Apple's sharp eye of supervision and approval, then we will get some idea. Until then, it's just intended for this phone, and Apple's software, except for widgets, and that's not really big news.
  • Reply 49 of 66
    Well, to add something that I just though of as I pressed the reply button, a big deal is the stated intent to upgrade this like the MacOS. Right now, most phones, at least, do not have upgradable OS's. What you get is, well, what you get.
  • Reply 50 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Because, it isn't news yet.

MS has many different implimentations of Windows. So far, Apple has two. Even though Apple says that this is OS X, we don't have a sample anywhere.

If Apple does open it up, as jobs has strongly hinted they will do, under Apple's sharp eye of supervision and approval, then we will get some idea. Until then, it's just intended for this phone, and Apple's software, except for widgets, and that's not really big news.

Is it true that MS had many different implementations of Windows? Aside from server and desktop, there are many pieces of software with "Windows" in the name, but are they by any stretch Windows itself?

Asking, don't know, but it looks like what Apple is doing is actually recasting OS X to a specific piece of hardware, and that that suggests they could do that some more, and that any of those recastings would have much more of a right to call themselves OS X than, say, Windows embedded or Windows Mobile would have a right to call themselves Windows.
  • Reply 51 of 66
    I've been asking around with some folks I know who have been at MS at various times, and from what I've been able to piece together... Windows Embedded is the *FIRST* version of 'Windows Anything-Smaller-Than-A-Laptop' that has shared *ANY* real amount of code with the OS running on consumer computers. All the rest has been UI similarities.

Which means that most of the time through it's history, the desktop, server, and handheld OSs have been three distinct codebases that they tried to keep somewhat looking the same. Wrong way to do it, if you ask me. Instead, share the code, optimize the UIs.
  • Reply 52 of 66
    Quote:

I've been asking around with some folks I know who have been at MS at various times, and from what I've been able to piece together... Windows Embedded is the *FIRST* version of 'Windows Anything-Smaller-Than-A-Laptop' that has shared *ANY* real amount of code with the OS running on consumer computers. All the rest has been UI similarities.

Which means that most of the time through it's history, the desktop, server, and handheld OSs have been three distinct codebases that they tried to keep somewhat looking the same. Wrong way to do it, if you ask me. Instead, share the code, optimize the UIs.

Yep, Windows CE (and therefore Pocket PC, Windows Mobile, etc.) has a completely different codebase, much of which is licensable and customizable.

Isn't it ironic? Mac OS X vs. iPhone's OS X shares the code, but adjusts the UI according to the device's specifics. Windows NT vs. Windows CE have completely different code, yet try hard to establish one and the same standard for the sake of "familiarity".
  • Reply 53 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Is it true that MS had many different implementations of Windows? Aside from server and desktop, there are many pieces of software with "Windows" in the name, but are they by any stretch Windows itself?

Asking, don't know, but it looks like what Apple is doing is actually recasting OS X to a specific piece of hardware, and that that suggests they could do that some more, and that any of those recastings would have much more of a right to call themselves OS X than, say, Windows embedded or Windows Mobile would have a right to call themselves Windows.

They have several server versions, several desktop versions. As here, they call the mobile OS's, and there are several, Windows, something or other, depending on where they go.

Yes, it's true that these mobile OS's are not even close to Windows in code, and won't run any Windows programs, but they are still Windows, because they LOOK like Windows, and MS says they are.

This is OS X, because it shares the codebase, even though it has been changed to fit into a mobile device using a different cpu.

Smaller programs might work with a re-compile, and fixing for the device itself.

But, that would still leave Apple with three versions, not MS's Dozen, or so.
  • Reply 54 of 66
    Quote:

But, that would still leave Apple with three versions, not MS's Dozen, or so.

If we go by codebase, we have:

OS X:
    • Mac OS X: client Macs

• Mac OS X Server: server Macs

• OS X for iPhone (and tv?): embedded devices

Windows NT:
    • Windows XP: client PCs, OMPCs, tablet PCs

• Windows Server 2003: server PCs

• Windows Embedded: embedded devices, including Xbox

Doesn't look so different now, does it? These share a codebase, each.

But, then Microsoft isn't all that content with Windows Embedded's scalability, and therefore has Windows CE, and therein lies the huge difference.

Windows CE:
    • CE itself (discontinued)

• Pocket PC: PDAs (merged into Windows Mobile)

• Handheld PC: HPCs (discontinued)

• CE for Automotive: cars (rebranded)

• Smartphone: smartphones (merged into Windows Mobile)

• Windows Mobile: smartphones and PDAs

• Windows Automotive: cars

• etc.pp.

And then, of course, there's the minor stuff like WebTV.

I don't think there's much of a chance of Windows Embedded being scaled down to supersede Windows CE, nor one of them merging the codebases somehow. They've gotten themselves into a mess where two completely different operating systems are supposed to pretend they're quite similar.
  • Reply 55 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

Yep, Windows CE (and therefore Pocket PC, Windows Mobile, etc.) has a completely different codebase, much of which is licensable and customizable.

Isn't it ironic? Mac OS X vs. iPhone's OS X shares the code, but adjusts the UI according to the device's specifics. Windows NT vs. Windows CE have completely different code, yet try hard to establish one and the same standard for the sake of "familiarity".

Quote:

Instead of the MS path of Windows CE/Pocket PC/Mobile, which has a different code base from Windows per se but attempts to replicate the Windows desktop experience as much as possible, Apple can have one code base but tailor the attributes and UI to the device at hand, and all of it is "really" OS X.

I demand royalties!
  • Reply 56 of 66
    Quote:

If we go by codebase, we have:

OS X:
    • Mac OS X: client Macs

• Mac OS X Server: server Macs

• OS X for iPhone (and ?tv?): embedded devices

Windows NT:
    • Windows XP: client PCs, OMPCs, tablet PCs

• Windows Server 2003: server PCs

• Windows Embedded: embedded devices, including Xbox

Doesn't look so different now, does it? These share a codebase, each.

But, then Microsoft isn't all that content with Windows Embedded's scalability, and therefore has Windows CE, and therein lies the huge difference.

Windows CE:
    • CE itself (discontinued)

• Pocket PC: PDAs (merged into Windows Mobile)

• Handheld PC: HPCs (discontinued)

• CE for Automotive: cars (rebranded)

• Smartphone: smartphones (merged into Windows Mobile)

• Windows Mobile: smartphones and PDAs

• Windows Automotive: cars

• etc.pp.

And then, of course, there's the minor stuff like WebTV.

I don't think there's much of a chance of Windows Embedded being scaled down to supersede Windows CE, nor one of them merging the codebases somehow. They've gotten themselves into a mess where two completely different operating systems are supposed to pretend they're quite similar.

It's not just the first three that matter. Those are just the divisions the OS's are written for. It's your later information that shows what I was saying.

Apple still has only three.
  • Reply 57 of 66
    Quote:

It's not just the first three that matter. Those are just the divisions the OS's are written for. It's your later information that shows what I was saying.

Apple still has only three.

What my comparison shows is that the low-level design of OS X is far superior to that of Windows NT.
  • Reply 58 of 66
    Quote:

I demand royalties!

Oh, like you'd survive a lawsuit against me.
  • Reply 59 of 66
    Quote:

What my comparison shows is that the low-level design of OS X is far superior to that of Windows NT.

Oh, yeah.
  • Reply 60 of 66
    Quote:

Oh, like you'd survive a lawsuit against me.

Damn. It's always the little guy that gets squeezed.