(speculation) New mini to be AppleTV size

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Thanks Chucker and Ben. That explains it.

I remember reading something brief about Broadwater being not much faster and slower in some things than the 950, due to some manufacturing issue. But then I tried to find some detailed info on that and couldn't.

I'm glad this isn't part of the Apple curse (bad things happening to a company's fab facilities as soon as they ink a deal with Apple).

My wife and I incidentally decided to wait until the late spring/early summer to buy, given that 10.5 will be out then, plus (probably) a few more updates/speedbumps, and (hopefully) iLife 07 (not to mention the iPhone). Hopefully, our Quicksilver will last until then.

Any speculation out there that Apple will use the Q or the G?
  • Reply 22 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

By spacing the aerials correctly you can beam-form or use spatial-diversity to overcome interference. This means that you can get a higher data rate out to a further range. ...

Even factoring in a diversity setup, it's still pretty small -- and quite a bit smaller than the box. 802.11n tends to use three antennas for MIMO, Although I'm not sure the arrangement in this case must be linear, or if the AppleTV even has MIMO, since it's intended as a client device. I don't remember if they said it does 802.11n routing or not.

My guess is that the internal AC-DC and the necessary backplane forced Apple to make it bigger.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCQ View Post

Thanks Chucker and Ben. That explains it.

I remember reading something brief about Broadwater being not much faster and slower in some things than the 950, due to some manufacturing issue. But then I tried to find some detailed info on that and couldn't.

I'm glad this isn't part of the Apple curse (bad things happening to a company's fab facilities as soon as they ink a deal with Apple).

My wife and I incidentally decided to wait until the late spring/early summer to buy, given that 10.5 will be out then, plus (probably) a few more updates/speedbumps, and (hopefully) iLife 07 (not to mention the iPhone). Hopefully, our Quicksilver will last until then.

Any speculation out there that Apple will use the Q or the G?

I don't think there's going to be a mobile version of the Q. Apple will use GM965 for the Mac Mini and Macbook and PM965 for the iMac and Macbook Pro.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    The real question is......what happens if you plug a keyboard into the AppleTVs USB port and try to quit FrontRow?
  • Reply 25 of 25
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

The memory number is deceiving, though; the bigger problem with the GMAs isn't lack of memory amount, but lack of memory bandwidth (and high latency), which to my knowledge won't be rectified at all with this.

Nice job clearing that up. What kind of performance improvement (if any?) could users see?