Question regarding the iMac from PC switcher.

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celemourn View Post

Ah ha! I think I remember reading about that. Can address more storage than can physically exist on Earth, right?

Some flavor of linux is developing it, if I recall correctly..

How far off am I?

What in the hell are you talking about? Ok, you may have a point about the earth bit, but, well, here.

And specifically here;

"Apple Computer is porting ZFS to their Mac OS X operating system, according to a post by a Sun employee on the opensolaris.org zfs-discuss mailing list, and previewed screenshots of the next version of Apple's Mac OS X 10.5 (Developer Seed 9A321) where support for ZFS has been included, but lacks the ability to act as a root partition (to boot). Also, attempts to format local drives using ZFS were unsuccessful; this is a known bug."
  • Reply 22 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

What in the hell are you talking about? Ok, you may have a point about the earth bit, but, well, here.

And specifically here;

"Apple Computer is porting ZFS to their Mac OS X operating system, according to a post by a Sun employee on the opensolaris.org zfs-discuss mailing list, and previewed screenshots of the next version of Apple's Mac OS X 10.5 (Developer Seed 9A321) where support for ZFS has been included, but lacks the ability to act as a root partition (to boot). Also, attempts to format local drives using ZFS were unsuccessful; this is a known bug."

yep. From the sacred Wiki:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wikipedia

Project leader Bonwick said, "Populating 128-bit file systems would exceed the quantum limits of earth-based storage. You couldn't fill a 128-bit storage pool without boiling the oceans."

• Reply 23 of 30
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPeon View Post

Ad-free?

Opera press releases

Feel Free: Opera Eliminates Ad Banner and Licensing Fee

Oslo, Norway - September 20, 2005

Opera Software today permanently removed the ad banner and licensing fee from its award-winning Web browser. The ad-free, full-featured Opera browser is now available for download - completely free of charge ? at http://www.opera.com.

"Today we invite the entire Internet community to use Opera and experience Web browsing as it should be," said Jon S. von Tetzchner, CEO, Opera Software. "Removing the ad banner and licensing fee will encourage many new users to discover the speed, security and unmatched usability of the Opera browser."

Opera was previously available free of charge with an ad banner. Users had the option of paying a licensing fee to remove the ad banner and receive premium support.

"Opera fans around the globe made this day possible," said von Tetzchner. "As we grow our userbase, our mission and our promise remain steadfast: we will always offer the best Internet experience to our users - on any device. Today this mission gains new ground."
  • Reply 24 of 30
    Wish I could have gotten to your earlier, but if you are going to be spending that much I would suggest upgrading to the 24", mainly for the better graphics card. It may do you good if you plan on using Windows (as I assume you will be gaming somewhat on Windows). Probably too late now, oh well.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

According to Patrick Norton, any hard drive over 250GB capacity will constantly be error correcting... that's why I'll only buy 250GB drives for now.

Interesting, I've now filled my 320Gb (297.97Gb) drive to about 270Gb and there has been a noticable noise increase. Most of it is EyeTV recordings/ripped DVDs (which is how it's so easy to fill up a 500Gb drive) that don't need backing up. I'm going to see if sticking all that TV straight on to my back-up external improves performance.<p><p>mrtotes</font>
  • Reply 26 of 30
    santasanta Posts: 67member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celemourn View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikipedia

Project leader Bonwick said, "Populating 128-bit file systems would exceed the quantum limits of earth-based storage. You couldn't fill a 128-bit storage pool without boiling the oceans."

This is interesting. The article says boiling the oceans, but that presumes that the energy escapes.

What if the energy can be created from the same mass, and contained as a memory storage device? With zero energy loss of course, and no mass to energy conversion loss. I wouldn't want to be around if the device started to 'leak' energy/memory.

We perhaps shouldn't ask if it's possible to fill a 128-bit ZFS, but when?

Moores law dictates, (if it keeps going), that we'll reach that point, but how soon?

Anyone with the maths skills to tell us how many years to go?

All I know is that after 64 doublings (128 years) from when Moore stated his now-law, the amount of information would be an order of magnitude greater than all the particles in the known universe (I read that in Issacc Asimov articles many years ago)

Santa
  • Reply 27 of 30
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Santa View Post

All I know is that after 64 doublings (128 years) from when Moore stated his now-law

Moore's Law refers to transistor amounts (and therefore, indirectly, performance increases), but certainly not storage.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

Moore's Law refers to transistor amounts (and therefore, indirectly, performance increases), but certainly not storage.

OK, what's Chuckers Law on Storage? AFAIK it's about the same as Moores law, but I could stand corrected. Are we talking solid state or magnetic? Solid state has to be doubling every two years.

But my question remains, how long before a ZFS is needed? (Edit: Oops filled?)

Regards

Santa
  • Reply 29 of 30
    From the Wikopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk

Quote:

A vice president of Seagate projects a future growth in disk density of 40% per year. [5] Access times have not kept up with throughput increases, which themselves have not kept up with growth in storage capacity. The main way to decrease access time is to increase rotational speed, while the main way to increase throughput and storage capacity is to increase areal density.

40% per year equates to 96% per two years if my mental math is is correct. Anybody?

Not quite Moores law.

But, how long to go?

Regards

Santa
  • Reply 30 of 30
    Quote:

From the Wikopedia

16 exabytes (2 to the power 64 byte) ? Maximum size of a file system

16 exabytes (2 to the power 64 byte) ? Maximum size of a single file

16 exabytes (2 to the power 64 byte) ? Maximum size of any attribute

As an example of how large these numbers are, if 1,000 files were created every second, it would take about 9,000 years to reach the limit of the number of files.

Doubling storage every two years, starting at 500GB this year, by an Excel spreadsheet, gives us 350 years before these figures are reached. Anyone verify that?

Santa