Microsoft CEO Ballmer laughs at Apple iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Don't you think iPhone is a bit too expensive?



Microsoft CEO, Steve Ballmer, actually laughed at the price.



Here is a video from YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5oGaZIKYvo



What's your take on this?
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 21
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Too expensive compared to what?
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Too expensive compared to similar Microsoft products that can be bought for as low as $100.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    rongoldrongold Posts: 302member
    HTC Hermes - $999







    Sony Ericsson i990 - $700







    Something else Mr. Balledhead, I mean Ballmer said, was that the iPhone was fully subsidized.



    When Apple announced their phone pricing, we all just assumed it was a subsidized price because it was followed up with the announcement that it was only available through Cingular.



    But; now, I really don't think the iPhone will be subsidized. Sure you have to sign a contract, but after the last few days of information leaks (from analysts and Rogers Mobile of Canada) and seeing estimated material costs, it seems that Apple could actually be paying Cingular (the opisite of carrier subsidizing)for every phone sold in order to get a beneficial treatment from Cingular.



    This could be Apple's approach in assuring satisfaction with a service from a seemingly uncontrollable third-party! They have stated that this partnership is unlike any other.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rongold View Post


    HTC Hermes - $999

    Sony Ericsson i990 - $700



    Motorola Q Phone - $99.



  • Reply 5 of 21
    rongoldrongold Posts: 302member
    I named those two phones to put the words "most expensive phone on the planet" in perspective for Steve Ballmer.

    That is to say, the iPhone is NOT the most expensive phone on the planet.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DualCore View Post


    What's your take on this?



    That Balmer is a Bald-Faced Liar.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    irelandireland Posts: 17,746member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celemourn View Post


    That Balmer is a Bald-Faced Liar.



    Someone edited that video.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DualCore View Post


    Don't you think iPhone is a bit too expensive?



    Microsoft CEO, Steve Ballmer, actually laughed at the price.



    Here is a video from YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5oGaZIKYvo



    What's your take on this?



    omg, I just watched that interview video. Looks like Balmer has tried to duplicate Jobs' Reality Distortion Field, but all he came up with was a Reality Denial Field!
  • Reply 9 of 21
    'it doesnt have a keyboard, therefore it wont appeal to business customers'.



    they are positively shitting themselves...fukin microsoft...
  • Reply 10 of 21
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DualCore View Post


    Motorola Q Phone - $99.



    Yep, it was stated in the video. I think the main reason that the smartphone market is expanding is because the functionality is dropping in price, not because people are willing to spend a lot more.



    So it's not the most expensive phone in the market, but I still think smart phones are unrealistically priced in general, excepting that model, of course. I wonder how so much money can be spent on a smart phone when they are too often junk in a couple years. I think the additional cost of phone capabilities should be cancelled out by the contract subsidy.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DualCore View Post


    Too expensive compared to similar Microsoft products that can be bought for as low as $100.



    How is that like the iPhone?
  • Reply 12 of 21
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPeon View Post


    How is that like the iPhone?



    How is it worth paying 5x more to get it?



    I really can't blame the comparison since Jobs himself compared his own phone against that type of phone, and the presentation left the impression that's all there was available. There are models a lot closer to the iPhone available on the open market. I know someone that has a phone that's of a similar format.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    How is it worth paying 5x more to get it?




    5x more?



    Again, you are comparing a product to something else that is completely different.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPeon View Post


    5x more?



    Again, you are comparing a product to something else that is completely different.



    If you think it's a blunder, keep in mind that Steve Jobs made that very same blunder.



    Besides, it's in the same general market even if it is a better device. You have to keep in mind that it's a lot of money to ask for such a device, and there's no assurance that it even fills the needs of the people in the market for a smart phone.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    If you think it's a blunder, keep in mind that Steve Jobs made that very same blunder.



    Besides, it's in the same general market even if it is a better device. You have to keep in mind that it's a lot of money to ask for such a device, and there's no assurance that it even fills the needs of the people in the market for a smart phone.



    I've been in the market for a smart phone for about a year and a half now, and the primary thing that has prevented me from getting one is that they are all windows based, and having had a relatively recent PocketPC (HP iPaq 5555), I want nothing more of them. They crash any time you do something at any more than a snail's pace. Just one action that the programmers didn't expect, and it's mandatory reboot. You loose data. Pain in the ass. I'm a programmer myself, and I can't tell you how infuriating it is to see such poor software design. I have been waiting for a good, Mac compatible smartphone, and iPhone appears, from keynote and the info on Apple's website, to be THE thing. I want it instant-on, easy to type on, responsive, media capable, and, most importantly aesthetically pleasing. I'm not talking fu-fu pink here. I'm talking non-"Makes me want to rip my eyeballs out, shove them down my throat and choke to death on them." That's not that much to ask, now is it? I want something free from the Microsoft Taint.



    Tried PalmOS before I had an iPaq, and I found the iPaq preferable. The Palm crashed just as well though.



    There will be die-hard win-fans who are still enamored with the thought of Windows being the best operating system for business. If they ever change their opinions on that, it will be because their colleague scores an iPhone and loves it.



    Or so I've been told. (by that little voice in my head!)
  • Reply 16 of 21
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    If you think it's a blunder, keep in mind that Steve Jobs made that very same blunder.



    No he didn't.



    Jobs compared the smartphone features to smartphones, he showed where the iPod features set into the iPod lineup and he showed the internet network network appliance aspect. He specifically dealt with three previously separate devices rolled into one chunk of Apple hardware. Artificially limiting discussions to one third of the iPhones functional target is pretty silly and hardly accurate when you start quoting price.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post


    Artificially limiting discussions to one third of the iPhones functional target is pretty silly and hardly accurate when you start quoting price.



    You are the one that did that, just now. The Moto Q can use the web and play media too, as such, the Q can hit all three major functions you mentioned. I think pretty much any smart phone on the market now can do those three major functions. Discussing all the functions separately is kind of odd because they were already pretty much expected anyway.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    You are the one that did that, just now. The Moto Q can use the web and play media too, as such, the Q can hit all three major functions you mentioned. I think pretty much any smart phone on the market now can do those three major functions. Discussing all the functions separately is kind of odd because they were already pretty much expected anyway.



    Seems like you aren't familiar with all of iPhone's functions, that's not even taking into account it's UI. There is no current product that does what the iPhone does.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPeon View Post


    Seems like you aren't familiar with all of iPhone's functions, that's not even taking into account it's UI. There is no current product that does what the iPhone does.



    I know what the iPhone does, I've gone through all of Apple's iPhone pages, and I also know what functionality the competition has as well. There's not much by actual functionality that iPhone adds that I've found, what iPhone does is do it in a nicer and easier manner. I'm skeptical on how many would pay several hundred dollars more for that, it's kind of a luxury even for a gadget freak like me. As yet, there are no stated plans on how to get this into the biggest market for a smart phone, which is business users.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    I know what the iPhone does, I've gone through all of Apple's iPhone pages, and I also know what functionality the competition has as well. There's not much by actual functionality that iPhone adds that I've found, what iPhone does is do it in a nicer and easier manner. I'm skeptical on how many would pay several hundred dollars more for that, it's kind of a luxury even for a gadget freak like me. As yet, there are no stated plans on how to get this into the biggest market for a smart phone, which is business users.



    You can't analyze something by association. You have to be able to differentiate otherwise you are not looking at the real thing. As an example: Two phones can both have e-mail features, this however does not mean they are the same. How does each handle that feature? How fast can I get from A to B? And so on.



    In the end it all comes down to personal preference, however, the error I see most people making is making decisions by association. Example: "The Mac is the same as Windows because they do the same thing" no they aren't.
Sign In or Register to comment.