Let's talk iPhone battery life...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rongold View Post

As if to say, how long can it sit there with just it's screen on (and the cellular radio on), I would say somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 - 5.5 hours considering the limited specs that we know at this point. But; the whole point of requiring the user to unlock the screen is to prevent accidentally turning on the phone, so if the wake/sleep button is pushed but the screen is not unlocked, the software is designed to put the phone back into sleep mode (shutting off the screen) after a predetermined amount of time, like maybe 30 seconds.

If the cellular radio is on (controllable from Settings icon), then yes, it will ring before it is awakened. This I am sure of.

5.5h in stand by, is the worst battery life I have ever heard of. Of course you have to have your cellphone on all the time, what would be the point of it, if no-one can reach you anyway? Last time my phone was out from network was around last spring. My Nokia 9300 stays on and in the network + few hours talking, around one week. That I consider reasonable standby time. For talk time 5 hours, is relatively acceptable. In standby the screen gets locked and turned off, but radio has to stay on, unless you put it in the flight mode, that is not normally considered as standby. The point of locking the screen is to prevent accidental calls from your pocket. Also off topic every smart phone should have code locked screen so that it can contain important information, like bank codes and stuff.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    rongoldrongold Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Project2501 View Post

5.5h in stand by, is the worst battery life I have ever heard of. Of course you have to have your cellphone on all the time, what would be the point of it, if no-one can reach you anyway? Last time my phone was out from network was around last spring. My Nokia 9300 stays on and in the network + few hours talking, around one week. That I consider reasonable standby time. For talk time 5 hours, is relatively acceptable. In standby the screen gets locked and turned off, but radio has to stay on, unless you put it in the flight mode, that is not normally considered as standby. The point of locking the screen is to prevent accidental calls from your pocket. Also off topic every smart phone should have code locked screen so that it can contain important information, like bank codes and stuff.

ummm... OK
  • Reply 23 of 34
    rongoldrongold Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Why does this have to be so confusing.

Good question.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    Quote:

Why does this have to be so confusing.

it doesnt, because it isnt.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trendannoyer View Post

it doesnt, because it isnt.

Says the guy who replied to his own comment above.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by flashphire View Post

Oh, and usually the sim card slides in behind the battery on most phones, where does it go in the iphone? Is there some kinda slot on the side?

I don't think theres any way apple would put a sim card slot on the side. your phone could be stolen, sim out, and put back in your pocket within 5 seconds. there has to be a removable cover on the back of the phone with something including a sim slot.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    There were rumors that Apple is making it difficult to unlock the iPhone. Thus the sim card could be behind the battery. The unreplaceable battery. -- Makes you wonder about Apples' european strategy.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    As shown in the Macworld Keynote the SIM card slot is at the top of the phone.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Electric Monk View Post

As shown in the Macworld Keynote the SIM card slot is at the top of the phone.

hmm. well i just froze the image of the top of the phone and where it says the SIM is, theres nothing. does that mean you couldn't get an unlocked iphone unless you removed the casing?
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Quote:

Says the guy who replied to his own comment above.

picky picky picky

i think the board ate my "handywork" now the thing is... am i remotely bothered enough to go and fix it?
  • Reply 31 of 34
    5 hours standby ronaldgold? Get a grip man. Thats the talk time which is acceptable to be honest but we wont know for sure until reviews come in.

If you look at other high end smartphones they range from 3 1/2 to 6 1/2 hours so if it is actually 5 hours then thats not bad at all.

What we really would like to know is what the standby time is. I really dont know why this wasnt stated at the keynote speech.

Anyway guessing from 5 hours talk time and the fact that the iphone has an extremely high res screen id say the standby will be between 250-320 hours.

With users bound to be using the ipod feature mostly anything less than 250 hours will be a dissapointment.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Anyway guessing from 5 hours talk time and the fact that the iphone has an extremely high res screen id say the standby will be between 250-320 hours.

With users bound to be using the ipod feature mostly anything less than 250 hours will be a dissapointment.

which is about 10 days, which is what i would expect
  • Reply 33 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

5 hours standby ronaldgold? Get a grip man. Thats the talk time which is acceptable to be honest but we wont know for sure until reviews come in.

I am sorry but you people are idiots. I was trying to restrain myself when Project2501 chimed in and completely misquoted me but now you are doing it too!! I never said the iPhone has 5 hours of standby time.

Is it really this complicated?

Try reading my posts and you will learn that they are quite informative — you will also discover that I have a better "grip" of the situation than yourself.