locking folder in Os X

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
my brother will not let me make folders on my mac when i get it. i would like to know how to lock a normal folder like one where i have all my documents so he cant snoop through it and look at stuff i dont want looked at when he comes home. Help is apreciated

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Just don't tell him the password to your account, and make sure he does not have administrator access.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    he ownt let me have differnet users... ineed to lock a folder in the universal user folder
  • Reply 3 of 22
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Hmm. There's no such thing as a 'universal user' folder.

If he's locking you out of *your* Mac, talk to your parents.

If you're trying to hide a folder from him on *his* Mac... well... talk your parents into letting you have your own user space.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    ok ummm i read that there was a way though to lock a speciful folder ok...lets say i have a folder like private work...i dont want him to access this how do i lock one folder
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Make an encrypted disk image in /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility and move the files onto there. It will be visible, but password protected.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    thanks...sounds great
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Make an encrypted disk image in /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility and move the files onto there. It will be visible, but password protected.

His brother could delete it and take sibling rivalry to the next level. But I seriously don't understand why people don't focus on creating their own user accounts on a Macintosh.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

His brother could delete it and take sibling rivalry to the next level. But I seriously don't understand why people don't focus on creating their own user accounts on a Macintosh.

i have never owned a mac. heck it still isnt here yet. i am just pre planning. windows folders are so so so so so so stupid that i couldnt use them. i think i will use folders. its my computer screw him
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Ah, ok. If you've never owned a Mac, then that's why you're making this harder than it needs to be...

*Every* user has an account, with a password. No other (regular) user can access their files, or even see what they have. Administrator users *can* see other people's files.

So, if it's going to be 'your' Mac, set yourself up with an Admin account, and your brother with a regular account. Or, make an Admin account, and both of you have regular accounts. You can't see or mess with his stuff, he can't see or mess with yours.

I'm assuming you still live at home? Have your parents 'own' the Admin account, and then there's no question of you two getting access to each others' files. (Can you tell I have a brother too? )
  • Reply 10 of 22
    There's an easter egg in OSX ... the way it works is, any folder labled "Pron" is invisible to any user account except the one that created it. Oh, and when you first create it, there's an encryption option.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    spcmsspcms Posts: 407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

There's an easter egg in OSX ... the way it works is, any folder labled "Pron" is invisible to any user account except the one that created it. Oh, and when you first create it, there's an encryption option.

Exactly, lol. My nephew spends quite some time renaming his 'private' files to mp3 files. I keep hoping his mother feels like listening to Black Eyed Peas - My Humps.mp3 one day.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

ok please explain more... i odnt know how to use mac osx. where do files go. is there like a my documents type thng. and also will all folders have this ability to be encripted or only the pron one...or is this an effing joke if i isnt right on! if it is ..damit lol
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Yeah, he's pulling your leg.

Every account has the following folders: Documents, Library, Movies, Music, Pictures, Public, Sites.

These are equivalent to: My Documents, the registry, My Movies, My Music, My Pictures, sharing a folder, and well... Windows doesn't really have a web server in it, does it?

Just wait, you'll see, it's very simple.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    is there a way to lock a documents folder
  • Reply 15 of 22
    or have it a m folder in the documents folder
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Okay, I think you're not getting it...

No other user can read your files, or see them, unless that user is an administrator.

*ALL* your files and folders are invisible to others by default, if you place them in Documents.

If your brother isn't an admin on your computer (and there's no reason why he should be), then he *cannot* see your files.

Of course, you can't see his either.

Just wait until you have the machine in front of you, and it will make sense.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    i knkow... i dropped user accounts...theres no way to share itunes folders wtihout seriously slowing down my mac. that is no good. i will only use one user.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    i want to use user account but theres no efficient way to share itunes music
  • Reply 19 of 22
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polarissucks View Post

i want to use user account but theres no efficient way to share itunes music

There is. Move the itunes library to a shared location. Then in itunes preferences, under Advanced, tell it to use that location for the library.

Amorya
  • Reply 20 of 22
    but user switching must be enabled and that slows your mac way down