Apple serves up $1.99 AirPort Extreme 802.11n Enabler

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 70
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post

Ok, not being a Mac expert (newbie), I have installed the update on my M2D iMac.

I also own a MB CD. Will I be able to upgrade my MB with new hardware to accept the N stuff, or will I need to get a new MB with a C2D?

I do realize that I'll also need a new router. No problem with that!

Cool. Run Applications > Utilities > Network Utility and choose in the list of ports, find the Airport. My MacBook Core1Duo shows 802.11a/b/g but not 802.11n. So if you *really want* you can get a new MacBook with Core2Duo
  • Reply 62 of 70
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It hasn't changed. You haven't been careful in reading what I've been saying here all along.

If we have to be careful reading, your wording isn't. A fine way to have it both ways.

But at least you did clarify yourself in your most recent post, finally. I think we can all live with that.
  • Reply 63 of 70
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

If we have to be careful reading, your wording isn't. A fine way to have it both ways.

But at least you did clarify yourself in your most recent post, finally. I think we can all live with that.

I try to be clear, but apparently, it doesn't always work for some. Asking for clarification would be fine with me, if it would help.

It's why I get into arguments with some people. They don't understand what I'm saying .As I try to explain in more detail, they say I'm changing my position, which I'm not, unless I say that they have persuaded me, which does happen.
  • Reply 64 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post

Ok, not being a Mac expert (newbie), I have installed the update on my M2D iMac.

I also own a MB CD. Will I be able to upgrade my MB with new hardware to accept the N stuff, or will I need to get a new MB with a C2D?

I do realize that I'll also need a new router. No problem with that!

You don't necessarily *need* to upgrade your CD MB at all. It is possible for 802.11g nodes to co-exist in an 802.11n network.

That being said, the disclaimers all say that there will be "reduced speed and range" as soon as 1 802.11g node joins an 802.11n network.

Does that mean that *everyone else* on the network wil be forced to throttle down to 802.11g speeds to suit the needs of that one node? Or does it just mean that the one 802.11g node won't be able to play as quickly as its 802.11n playmates? Or something in the middle...?
  • Reply 65 of 70
    If you are planning on getting the new Airport Extreme base station the patch is included. IF you plan on getting another brand then you pay the $2 - or you get a copy from a friend. I have a feeling that there will be a lot of $2 fixes that are shared and I doubt if Apple will be to worried about that sharing. Otherwise be happy with what you bought.
  • Reply 66 of 70
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    I upgraded my Belkin pre-n router to the latest firmware, and did the 802.11n upgrade to my c2d macbook pro - but I am still at 54 mbps in the network utility. If anybody gets theirs working at a higher speed please let me know how to do it...
  • Reply 67 of 70
    vulcan1vulcan1 Posts: 56member
    Sorry for bringing up an 18 month old thread.... but i'm having problems installing the 802.11n enabler on my imac. I can install it to the point where it asks you where to install the file, but both HD's that i have show a red stop-sign and an exclamation mark and saying "You cannot install AirPort Extreme 802.11n Enabler on this volume. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update."

I tried to google some and read a bit here and there and that one possible solution was to install the "AirPort Extreme Update 2007-002". I have installed all the SW updates from the SW pulldown menu and even tried to install the "AirPort Extreme Update 2007-002" but it showed again red stop-sign with an exclamation mark.....

Would anybody have an idea where i have gone wrong? or what the problem might be?

Really appreciate any help!
  • Reply 68 of 70
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    The enabler has already been installed via the airport 5.3.1 software as it is part of it and apple has said so. I found out by accident.
  • Reply 69 of 70
    vulcan1vulcan1 Posts: 56member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob05au View Post

The enabler has already been installed via the airport 5.3.1 software as it is part of it and apple has said so. I found out by accident.

Thanks, noticed that too now\ Oh heck, i wonder why they then sell this SW? And how have i missed it being already installed

Thanks Rob!
  • Reply 70 of 70
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    I am pretty sure it only works under tiger since the airport update for leopard.