the iBOOK!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
i keep meaning to post about this one...

i don't know much about how e-ink technology is getting along, but it must surely be only a matter of time before really practical units start coming out and since they already own an excellent trademark (see thread title!) wouldn't it make sense for an ibook in the next few years? think about it - wouldn't even current 4/8 gig flash memory be enough to include (compressed) every public domain work in every language in current use as standard? then you have the itunes store (or the like) to pick up the latest john grisham!

i can't surely be the only one who's had this idea?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    \

considering how similar it is in business to the success apple have had with audio & video with the ipod, i find it strange no one on here has anything at all to comment on this?

i find it very hard to believe apple haven't considered this for the future
  • Reply 2 of 33
    The thing is, It's just really hard to beat a paperback for convienience, ease of use, battery-life, etc.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member

• Reply 4 of 33
    sthiedesthiede Posts: 307member
    also, i think reading too much on lcds hurts most peoples eyes. try it, 30 pages of a book in one sitting on the computer, not to comfy if you ask me.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sthiede View Post

also, i think reading too much on lcds hurts most peoples eyes. try it, 30 pages of a book in one sitting on the computer, not to comfy if you ask me.

no. perhaps you aren't aware of e-ink technology. re-writable "screens" that read just like paper and require no power to maintain the image. the technology is quite there yet, but we're surely going to have a compact and efficient technology in the next few years. when that comes it would be possible to store millions of books/newspapers/magazines on the unit and read/search/browse anywhere without sacrifycing a single tree
  • Reply 6 of 33
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
  • Reply 7 of 33
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post

no. perhaps you aren't aware of e-ink technology. re-writable "screens" that read just like paper and require no power to maintain the image. the technology is quite there yet, but we're surely going to have a compact and efficient technology in the next few years. when that comes it would be possible to store millions of books/newspapers/magazines on the unit and read/search/browse anywhere without sacrifycing a single tree

My problem with the e-ink is that the contrast on ordinary black text on white paper is far greater than what an unlit e-book reader can achieve. Besides, real books has a much nicer feel to them. It's nice to have something tangible in this immaterial world. Same reason I prefer to buy music on physical discs.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Too late.

If Apple did go after something like this, which I doubt they would, they would beat the pants off the Sony Reader. If for no other reason than they would actually know how to market it....
  • Reply 9 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by opnsource View Post

If Apple did go after something like this, which I doubt they would, they would beat the pants off the Sony Reader. If for no other reason than they would actually know how to market it....

I guess, but it's a pretty straightforward device. Screen, e-ink, some way to get stuff in it, someway to navigate around the pages.

I'm sure they could make it sleeker and more stylish, with cooler controls, but I don't know if that's enough to make anyone care about a product that's already a tiny niche.

Maybe that could start aggressively marketing books on iTunes, since what iTunes really needs is another medium to deal with.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    Apple in 100 years is a book publisher having forged ahead in promoting literacy world wide while developing a self-destruct drm for all word content...
  • Reply 11 of 33
    Electronic ink and the like is a good 10 years out, as far as affordability and resolution equal to glossy magazine print (300 dots per inch). I've looked into it, and the most interesting thing I've seen is radio-updatable signage for stores and an e-ink wristwatch.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Electronic ink and the like is a good 10 years out, as far as affordability and resolution equal to glossy magazine print (300 dots per inch). I've looked into it, and the most interesting thing I've seen is radio-updatable signage for stores and an e-ink wristwatch.

The Sony reader I linked to claims to be using e-ink, at 170 pixels per inch.

That may not be 300 dpi, but it looks adequate for black text on a white background at paperback book font sizes.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    yes, book are convenient, and pleasant to use, but i feel guilty these days throwing away newspaper and magazines. it really wouldn't be necessary with a technological replacement. yes, i also like owning books, but imagining having every public domain work available and searchable in your bag/pocket. would be an amazing tool for students and academics as well as being mighty useful for pub quizzes!

yes, perhaps the technology isn't quite there yet, but there quite clearly is an opportunity for it in the future and i'm sure apple could produce something that would be appealing. i can see it being a pretty fringe product for a while, but we might perhaps be living in an age where people with finally have to wake up and smell the coffee when it comes to environmental issues, and a product like this would have that as a strength
  • Reply 14 of 33
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post

yes, book are convenient, and pleasant to use, but i feel guilty these days throwing away newspaper and magazines. it really wouldn't be necessary with a technological replacement. yes, i also like owning books, but imagining having every public domain work available and searchable in your bag/pocket. would be an amazing tool for students and academics as well as being mighty useful for pub quizzes!

yes, perhaps the technology isn't quite there yet, but there quite clearly is an opportunity for it in the future and i'm sure apple could produce something that would be appealing. i can see it being a pretty fringe product for a while, but we might perhaps be living in an age where people with finally have to wake up and smell the coffee when it comes to environmental issues, and a product like this would have that as a strength

And when the solar powered version comes out, that would be excellent stuff.

If Apple brought out an eBook for $300, i'd buy it in a heartbeat. And I'd bet anyone people would read more because of it. Download some Ramond Carver books onto a light eBook from iTunes, an eBook with an Apple logo and no buttons, just a swipe to turn the page, page flipping transitions, and use four fingers to turn four pages just like their patent from 2006 said. And how do you get to page 240 from page 16, you simply draw 240 with a finger on the screen, wow. No audio, no video, no extras at all, just books and PDF's etc. I'm waiting?
  • Reply 15 of 33
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    I don't think Apple would bring out a black & white eBook reader. But with Leopard's resolution independence, maybe they will bring out a 150+dpi color eBook reader.

Kind of same technology as the iPhone minus the phone part: Multitouch, 4/8GB, syncs with iTunes. And with wifi built-in and Safari this could work as a nice Internet terminal on the go (wherever there's a wifi hotspot).

But such a device will probably not be $300, more like double that...
  • Reply 16 of 33
    bentonbenton Posts: 161member
    Is it technologically feasible to combine the e-ink on a MacBook lcd? Students would no longer have to carry/pull luggage (absurd) to and from school. This is a technology GreenPeace should promote. Save the trees, reduce carbon dioxide and slow gobal warming. Apple could use FairPlay drm to satisfy publisher concerns and sell through iTunes.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Ah GreenPeace can go shove it IMO.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

I don't think Apple would bring out a black & white eBook reader. But with Leopard's resolution independence, maybe they will bring out a 150+dpi color eBook reader.

Kind of same technology as the iPhone minus the phone part: Multitouch, 4/8GB, syncs with iTunes. And with wifi built-in and Safari this could work as a nice Internet terminal on the go (wherever there's a wifi hotspot).

But such a device will probably not be $300, more like double that...

What Apple decides we need, and what I know I need could be two different things, but a simple e-ink reader would see by the millions if it was light, looked cool and had multi-touch. iTunes is there, all they need to is add the Books, and you've got a guaranteed killer app right there. (9" display)
  • Reply 19 of 33
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    I read that Xerox once stated that any eBook reader would need 300dpi to be as pleasant a reading experience as a printed book.

That sounds about right to me. A while back I saw a black and white 300dpi CRT monitor and it was amazing! Even 4pt text was very readable. No eye strain at all.

From what I could find on the Internet, Philips has a small color LCD at roughly 260dpi, Samsung and IBM's go slightly above 200dpi.

A 9"-12" 250dpi color LCD eBook reader would be an amazing thing. With OS X resolution independence and PDF support small print won't need to stay small, everyone could have the print size they prefer.

And if it would be as thin as an iPod nano, I'd buy it in a second!
  • Reply 20 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

I read that Xerox once stated that any eBook reader would need 300dpi to be as pleasant a reading experience as a printed book.

That sounds about right to me. A while back I saw a black and white 300dpi CRT monitor and it was amazing! Even 4pt text was very readable. No eye strain at all.

From what I could find on the Internet, Philips has a small color LCD at roughly 260dpi, Samsung and IBM's go slightly above 200dpi.

A 9"-12" 250dpi color LCD eBook reader would be an amazing thing. With OS X resolution independence and PDF support small print won't need to stay small, everyone could have the print size they prefer.

And if it would be as thin as an iPod nano, I'd buy it in a second!

Vote yes on 24, I'm in.