Airport Extreme Base Station + Lacie Big Disk Extreme problem.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a Lacie 500GB Big Disk Extreme (Triple Interface), that the Airport Extreme (n) is not mounting.



It's formatted as Mac OS Journalled, and works perfectly if connected directly to my MacBook Pro by USB or Firewire.



When connected to the AE(n), I get the following error message:



Quote:

Your AirPort base station is reporting the following errors:



Disk needs repair



Errors were found with a disk connected to your AirPort Base Station. Please connect the USB disk to your Mac or PC and use Disk Utility or another application to repair the disk.



I connected the drive to my MBP and ran Disk Utility, which reported no problems with the drive at all. After repeated attempts, with various cables, I updated the firmware on the drive to see if that would solve the problem. It didn't.



Anyone else having problems with their Lacie drives and the new Airport Extreme, especially those of you with the Big Disk Extremes?
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 33
    smaxsmax Posts: 360member
    Sorry I can't help you with your problem, but I have to ask a question: Why would you cripple a drive like that by hooking up to a router with USB?
  • Reply 2 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smax View Post


    Sorry I can't help you with your problem, but I have to ask a question: Why would you cripple a drive like that by hooking up to a router with USB?



    The drive contains nothing but my music collection ... the bandwidth I need to access the music via iTunes is sufficient.



    Following up from my first post: Journaling is not supported by the AE(n), so I turned it off on the drive ... it made no difference.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    Same problem with both my 500GB dual drive Lacie and 1.5TB dual drive disk. Also just got off the phone with Apple, apparantley, they figure the base station can't read RAID drives. Unfortunately, I don't have a single disk USB external around to test it with.



    They did say there may be an update to "fix" this soon.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member
    if you have a triple drive can you hook up to both firewire and usb? are the drives seperate? i ordered airport and am waiting for delivery. i was thinking of the lacie or maxtor. anyway i may just get a usb drive if you are having all these problems. would appreciate info if you have any regarding my quyestions.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gdog View Post


    if you have a triple drive can you hook up to both firewire and usb? are the drives seperate? i ordered airport and am waiting for delivery. i was thinking of the lacie or maxtor. anyway i may just get a usb drive if you are having all these problems. would appreciate info if you have any regarding my quyestions.



    You can only use one of the connection methods at any one time.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    I can successfully see the drive—for a while. Then the Airport Extreme Basestation (n) loses its mind.



    For a while, all clients can mount the drive and use it as if it were a regular old AFP mount. But only for a while.



    Then, every client can still see that the "Airport Disk has become avaliable", but when prompted for authentication, after verifying the correct passphrase on the Airport basestation AND on the client, i get the "Connection failed. Unknown user, incorrect password, or login is disabled. Please retype the login information or contact the disk's administrator" alert sheet.



    After having restarted everything and brought everything back up, the exact same thing happens.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by God of Biscuits View Post


    I can successfully see the drive?for a while. Then the Airport Extreme Basestation (n) loses its mind.



    For a while, all clients can mount the drive and use it as if it were a regular old AFP mount. But only for a while.



    Then, every client can still see that the "Airport Disk has become avaliable", but when prompted for authentication, after verifying the correct passphrase on the Airport basestation AND on the client, i get the "Connection failed. Unknown user, incorrect password, or login is disabled. Please retype the login information or contact the disk's administrator" alert sheet.



    After having restarted everything and brought everything back up, the exact same thing happens.



    I am having the exact same problem - I have been scouring the web for answers, but unsuccessfully. If anyone has a clue - let us know!
  • Reply 8 of 33
    oh - btw - it's not the drive. I have two generic USB 2.0 enclosures each containing a large Seagate hdd (one is 350GB, one is 500GB with two partitions). They show up as 3 drives, and then they vanish. Occasionally they come back, occasionally not, and I get the same error message as God of Biscuits when I try to mount them manually using the Airport Disk Utility.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    Go into the Network Settings on your client computers and change the IPv6 setting from "Automatic" to "Off" - try that. For the moment it seems to have fixed everything.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alphadork View Post


    I am having the exact same problem - I have been scouring the web for answers, but unsuccessfully. If anyone has a clue - let us know!



    I disconnected the LaCie 1TB drive (which is actually a 2-drive RAID that SHOULD appear in any case as a single, 1TB volume. I guess the AEBS is doing something lower-level thru the connection.



    I had a wiebetech brick that i plugged a 250GB single drive into, and hooked it up via USB to the AEBS and all of the problems have disappeared. The drive shows up like it should, authentications happen like they should, and even large copies have happened successfully (albeit at 100BT speeds \ )



    It would seem, at least for me, that the AEBS does not like external RAIDs after all.



    Which is too bad.



    I hope at least one day the AEBS supports JBOD.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by God of Biscuits View Post


    It would seem, at least for me, that the AEBS does not like external RAIDs after all.



    Yup, Apple have admitted (on the phone to me, but not officially) that external RAID devices are an issue.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post


    Yup, Apple have admitted (on the phone to me, but not officially) that external RAID devices are an issue.



    Yeah, I read that, but I just don't understand what the hardware difference is at this level. The LaCie 1TB *should* appear as a 1TB volume and that's that.



    But then again, i'm a Cocoa guy....i'm out of my depth on the hardware and low-level software stuff.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by God of Biscuits View Post


    Yeah, I read that, but I just don't understand what the hardware difference is at this level. The LaCie 1TB *should* appear as a 1TB volume and that's that.



    But then again, i'm a Cocoa guy....i'm out of my depth on the hardware and low-level software stuff.



    Hmm - well my drives weren't RAID - although I have two drives, one with two partitions, connected to the AXn.



    I turned IPv6 off on my MBP to fix a different AirTunes problem, and I renamed the drives with simple 1-word names, and so far (knock wood, cross fingers) that seems to have solved all the problems.



    What a pain in the neck!
  • Reply 14 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by God of Biscuits View Post


    Yeah, I read that, but I just don't understand what the hardware difference is at this level. The LaCie 1TB *should* appear as a 1TB volume and that's that.



    It should. Infuriatingly, there's definitely a problem with how the AE(n) USB controller recognizes them at some low-level.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alphadork View Post


    Hmm - well my drives weren't RAID - although I have two drives, one with two partitions, connected to the AXn.



    I turned IPv6 off on my MBP to fix a different AirTunes problem, and I renamed the drives with simple 1-word names, and so far (knock wood, cross fingers) that seems to have solved all the problems.



    What a pain in the neck!





    Nope. That didn't make a difference. Aaaaaaargh.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    dmg1000dmg1000 Posts: 1member
    In regards to the "intermittent Airdisk Error" - Reconfigure the AEBS w/ the airport utility, and on the page that asks you to "Enter a password for users to use when connecting to USB Disks, select "with a disk password" (as opposed to "with base station password") next to secured shared disks, and pick a password. This has solved the problem for me so far. Hope this helps.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    >>Anyone else having problems with their Lacie drives and the new Airport Extreme, especially those of you with the Big Disk Extremes?[/QUOTE]



    Same exact problem with a LaCie 160 gig. I'm just weighing in, hoping the question gets answered.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    I have the same problem ... the airdisk works fine for a while, and then just disappears.





    Apple ... it just works :-(
  • Reply 19 of 33
    siekensieken Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by virtualmark View Post


    I have the same problem ... the airdisk works fine for a while, and then just disappears.





    Apple ... it just works :-(





    I have done some reading, and it appears that the problem is the AE's inability to deal with RAID configurations (0,1,5 ect). If you have a single drive in an external case that is meant for a single drive with a single USB bridge, it will function correctly. If you have two or more drives in a single case, eg. the LaCie's Big Drive, it will not recognize it.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    My LaCie Hard Drive 500 GB USB 2.0, Design by F.A. Porsche, and the AE seem to have some issues as well. It sometimes mounts, sometimes it does not. It also just "goes away". Not sure yet what causes this.
Sign In or Register to comment.