High-quality AirPort Extreme 802.11n unboxing photos

Comments

• Reply 41 of 105
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoinks View Post

Excellent pictures - they put my phototography skills to shame.

I like the design very much and want an 802.11n access point. However, I have a couple of questions?
    1. How does the 802.11n perform in a mixed environment, e.g. with 802.11b&g devices as well as 802.11n clients? All the devices I have that connect wirelessly are 802.11g (iBook G4, PSP, DS) - I'll be purchasing a Macbook soon (about the same time Leopard is released).

2. Can it act as an wireless access point client or bridge? At present I have two identical US Robotics wireless routers - one is set up as an access point that connects directly to my ADSL modem and my web server (a Mac Mini). The other is in another room set-up as an access point client. The client has a hub connected and I am then able to directly connect to my xbox360, Slingbox and Pinnacle Showcenter.

From what i read the current N implementation does work well in mixed environment. By that i mean you get only half the theoretical maximum 802.11n speed. It would still be faster then G though.
  • Reply 42 of 105
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoinks View Post

Excellent pictures - they put my phototography skills to shame.

I like the design very much and want an 802.11n access point. However, I have a couple of questions?
    1. How does the 802.11n perform in a mixed environment, e.g. with 802.11b&g devices as well as 802.11n clients? All the devices I have that connect wirelessly are 802.11g (iBook G4, PSP, DS) - I'll be purchasing a Macbook soon (about the same time Leopard is released).

2. Can it act as an wireless access point client or bridge? At present I have two identical US Robotics wireless routers - one is set up as an access point that connects directly to my ADSL modem and my web server (a Mac Mini). The other is in another room set-up as an access point client. The client has a hub connected and I am then able to directly connect to my xbox360, Slingbox and Pinnacle Showcenter.

AirPort Extreme supports three wireless modes. Looks like you'll be going for number 2:

̂
    1. Create a wireless network. Choose this option if you are creating a new AirPort Extreme network.

2. Participate in a WDS network. Choose this option if you are creating a new WDS network, or connecting this AirPort Extreme Base Station to a WDS network that is already set up. (In this case connecting "bridge/repeating" your RoboticsRouter)

3. Extend a wireless network. Choose this option if you plan to connect another AirPort Extreme 802.11n Base Station to the network you are setting up.

Choosing the Radio Mode: You will want to choose number 1:
    1. Choose “802.11n (802.11b/g compatible)” from the Radio Mode pop-up menu if computers with 802.11n, 802.11g, or 802.11b wireless cards will join the network. Each client computer will connect to the network and transmit network traffic at its highest speed.

2. Choose “802.11n only (2.4 GHz)” if only computers with 802.11n compatible wireless cards will join the network in the 2.4 GHz frequency range.

3. Choose “802.11n (802.11a compatible)” if computers with 802.11n and 802.11a wireless cards will join the network in the 5 GHz frequency range. Computers with 802.11g or 802.11b wireless cards will not be able to join this network.

4. Choose “802.11n only (5 GHz)” if computers with 802.11n wireless cards will join the network. The transmission rate of the network will be at 802.11n speed. Computers with 802.11g, 802.11b, and 802.11a wireless cards will not be able to join this network.

............From the manuals posted at thread: http://appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2443
  • Reply 43 of 105
    stwstw Posts: 21member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fuyutsuki View Post

Keeping it in size with the Mac Mini and Apple TV seems smart and overall it has a nice iPod dock aesthetic.

Apple TV is about 3cm larger than a Mac Mini and the new Airport
  • Reply 44 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

What has lighting / thunderstorm do with phone line? Sorry if this is a stupid question......

Your phone line = voice + DSL. Lightning strikes phone line (if phone lines are overhead not underground) = power surge going down phone line = fried cordless phones, fried DSL modem. If you live in a country that has thunderstorms, you'll know.....
  • Reply 45 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

And i read somewhere that it has 4 internal antenna?...

There should be at least 3 radios (MIMO) (Multiple In Multiple Out)... Let us know if you find out more info. The 802.11n cards in Core2Duo Macs have 3 antenna/radios (you can see this on the mini-PCIe card on the motherboard... My MacBookCore[1]Duo has 2 antenna/radios - one for 802.11b/g@2ghz and one for 802.11a@5ghz, I think....)
  • Reply 46 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

In the UK pretty much everyone does. Which poses the question: How do I connect this thing to the Internet?

I went into PC World - and the number of ADSL modems for sale was precisely zero.

(not counting USB types). There was an entire wall of ADSL / Wireless / Router combo boxes.

C,

Answer: Get a very cheap 802.11b/g wireless/adsl combo box. Use this as DSL modem. Connect ethernet 100Mbit/sec out of cheapo DSL/Router into the WAN-in port of 802.11-n pretty teh sexay new AirportExtreme. Bingo bango all sorted mate.
  • Reply 47 of 105
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Answer: Get a very cheap 802.11b/g wireless/adsl combo box. Use this as DSL modem. Connect ethernet 100Mbit/sec out of cheapo DSL/Router into the WAN-in port of 802.11-n pretty teh sexay new AirportExtreme. Bingo bango all sorted mate.

Not exactly elegant tho...

I could put my old combo box into this role - but...

...Disabling the firewall is not something that it seems happy about- and two firewalls is a problem for some software.

I find that I can buy a dedicated ADSL (ethernet) modem by mail order. But it makes the Apple kit more expensive and more complicated to install. Kinda non-applish really.

A combo box would be a smart move in territories contaminiated with USB Modem blight.

C.
  • Reply 48 of 105
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

In the UK pretty much everyone does. Which poses the question: How do I connect this thing to the Internet?

I went into PC World - and the number of ADSL modems for sale was precisely zero.

(not counting USB types). There was an entire wall of ADSL / Wireless / Router combo boxes.

C,

That's moot, because ISPs typically give you a modem anyway.
  • Reply 49 of 105
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

That's moot, because ISPs typically give you a modem anyway.

I don't know which UK you live in, but the majority of ISPs in this UK give out PC-only USB modems. Or provide a "wires-only" service with no modem altogether.

C.
  • Reply 50 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

What do I miss about this? Wall mounting, gigabit ethernet (even for wan) , connections for external antennas, place for an Firewire drive (this is Apple, after all), a standard shape power brick (consistency) and a magsafe DC port.

It's really not worth 180 dollars right now.

Activity LEDs are unneccesary, though.

I do hope it's the same size as the Mac Mini, for stackability.

They are not activity lights. They are status lights. Best check out the manuals. They are available for downloading.
  • Reply 51 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

What do I miss about this? Wall mounting.

Wall mounting is not recommended for best performance. Best off the floor, away from wall (particular an outside wall, and metal objects (metal file cabinets, metal studs, etc.) The closer to these obstructions, the more severe the interference and the weaker the connection.

As well, "?the new AirPort Extreme? up to five times the performance and twice the range of the previous AirPort Extreme.?Using MIMO (Multiple In Multiple Out) smart antennae and 802.11n technology?"
  • Reply 52 of 105
    moochmooch Posts: 113member
    Quote:

I don't know which UK you live in, but the majority of ISPs in this UK give out PC-only USB modems. Or provide a "wires-only" service with no modem altogether.

C.

That's a wierd system. All the ISPs in Ontario give you a plug-into-the-wall modem that you connect up to your router.
  • Reply 53 of 105
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Well it is UK afterall ><. Which used to have crappy Internet service until recently.

Another thing about ADSL modem is you need YET another power prick.

With the increasing amount of gadget we are stacking in our living room no one seems to realize this.
  • Reply 54 of 105
    bevosbevos Posts: 59member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fastred View Post

My Airport Extreme 802.11n arrived 2 days ago.... and I live in *New Zealand*.... must be the first time ever that we get stuff this early!

Its working famously.

Jeremy

I want to know the speed most of all, how fast can it transfer 1Gb file?

Any new software features?

Jeremy, Where about in New Zealand are you? Im in Auckland. You are right us getting things quickly are a first, since it took 4 years to get a iTune store, then it was music only.
  • Reply 55 of 105
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

They are not activity lights. They are status lights. Best check out the manuals. They are available for downloading.

Uh. I assumed there weren't any activity lights, so I listed it as something I liked, to counter all my whining.
  • Reply 56 of 105
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Nice...acts as a bridge. Some don't. Whether it behaves well in a b/g network remains to be seen. Also if it operates in n-only or just mixed mode like the Buffalo. The chipset is okay but like in the case of the buffalo some manufacturers do different things.

Vinea
  • Reply 57 of 105
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Someone should really standardize DC power distribution. Each house could have a centralized set of transformers, that provide a variety of voltages to sockets around the house... Would really save on all these stupid tangles of power bricks I have to carry around with my laptop and two external hard disks...
  • Reply 58 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Nice...acts as a bridge. Some don't. Whether it behaves well in a b/g network remains to be seen. Also if it operates in n-only or just mixed mode like the Buffalo. The chipset is okay but like in the case of the buffalo some manufacturers do different things.

Vinea

As I understand from the Apple manuals, The b/g network mode is the "802.11n/b/g mixed mode @ 2.4ghz". Apple recommends using Channel 1, 6, or 11, for most spread between competing networks in range of your router. Most people usually leave it on the default which is like somewhere in the middle, so I'd use Channel 1 or 2, or depending on what http://www.istumbler.net shows up as channels neighbouring networks are using.

I've got two idiots (pardon the arrogance) with brilliant network names "Belkin54g" and "NETGEAR" using Channel 11. Not good, though they are using some WiFi security. I've got a "Motorola" on Channel 3 (I'm on Channel 2) but it's furthest away from me at very low pickup signal so not a problemo at this stage.

Vinea, from the Apple manuals, AFAIK, there are four modes. 802.11n/b/[email protected], [email protected], 802.11n-only@5ghz[fastest], and 802.11n/a@5ghz. It should be in a mixed mode b/g environment [802.11n/b/[email protected] setting in AirportExtreme], yeah, we will have to see how smart the AirportExtreme is in terms of "switching" the speeds depending on the client connection. It should try and hit 100mbit/sec for packets in and out of 802.11n clients and say 30mbit/sec (all figures given are throughputs[?]) for 802.11g clients connecting. We'll need some hardcore bechmarking which I would *looove* to see.

<rambling>Frack, if I set up a PayPal Donate linky I'd do tons of research for you peoples! And feed myself and pay rent as well! Maybe I need to sign up and work at some Tech/Mac magazine. I do have some writing skills, it doesn't have to be perfect anyway because writers just write and the editors clean up the text to flow with the standards/ style of their publication. </rambling>
  • Reply 59 of 105
    Quote:

... USB Modem blight....

USB broadband modems are tools of the Devil !!! ... Very evil.
  • Reply 60 of 105
    Quote:

Not exactly elegant tho...

...I could put my old combo box into this role - but...

...Disabling the firewall is not something that it seems happy about- and two firewalls is a problem for some software.

You could just trust the old combo box firewall to firewall the DSL in/out, and no need to firewall any other connections. That is, the AirportExtreme can have its firewall turned off, I'm fairly sure of this. If you want to be extra careful (paranoid, almost) you can turn on the software firewalls in SysPreferences in Macs.