12.1" Macbook Pro

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Good points, Backtomac!

A colleague in the market for a peecee notebook looks to ads of 15.4" HP notebooks starting at $1,099. Hello, Apple? Most people would opt for the 15.4" screen. This can be borne from Apple's statement at its quarterly analysts' conference call where they admitted that they were selling up the line to the 15.4" MacBook Pro. People want the larger screen. They're probably hesitantly going for it, given the price. I bet Apple would sell a boatload if the were at $1,599. The pro line along could use a $400 price drop.

Edit: For fun I just spec'd out a Dell Inspiron E1505. 15.4-inch with close features to the MacBook. 1.83GHz Core 2 Duo...just north of $1,000. It's cheaper than Apple's entry level 13.3" notebook. Apple needs to get its act together and soon!

As far as the 12.1" model is concerned, I think this model would sell like hotcakes too because there are a lot of people looking for this kind of notebook. Otherwise Sony, Dell, HP, and Toshiba would have abandoned this market long ago.
  • Reply 22 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfe2211 View Post

With all due respect, I couldn't disagree more with your post. I think it's somewhat naive. There is a good US market for ~3lb, 11-12" screen notebooks for mobile professionals like myself. I travel frequently in the US and around the world to large Pharma/Biotech companies (FDA too) and in this community, this type of notebook has become commonplace. I have used a Sony T160 with a 10.6" screen for 3 years and it has made me more, not less, productive. I use complex relational database programs, large excel spreadsheets and analyze graphs & charts derived from both of these apps.

There are many instances in all professions (e.g. engineering) where you don't need to take everything with you while on the road and you don't need a large screen to work effectively.

I'm hoping that Apple and SJ will fill this hole in the product line sooner rather later. BTW, there is a huge difference schlepping around a 5.2 lb compared to a 3 lb laptop.

That is all fine and good, but you must realize that you are in what would be considered a minority. Before you try to kill me, think about it. You are a business professional who, as you stated, run "comlex...database programs, excel spreadsheets..." etc. BUT you are a Mac person. You are in a minority within a minority. You are not Apple's target audience. Don't get me wrong, they would love to have your money. But look at the add campaigns they run. They literally mock people who use PC's and imply that spreadsheets and number crunching is all that Windows machines are good for. They want you to think that buying a Mac will allow you to do all of the other, "cooler" stuff that you would use a computer for.

I'm not saying that it wouldn't be awesome if they brought back a small pro portable, I have a 12" iBook and love the size and wish I had the 12" Powebook, it just doesn't look promising.

I apologize for making it sound like a small format MacBook Pro would not be useful. This was not my intent. I simply believe that no matter how great it would be, it's not a move that Apple will probably ever make. They have chosen the 13.3" format, as bizaar a size as it is , for better or worse.
  • Reply 23 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

My 2 cents.

The 12" MBP doesn't target the two markets that Apple try to reach in their portable lineup. Macbooks are targeting consumers and MBPs are for creative pros. A 12" light weight portable would appeal to business users who travel frequently but Apple doesn't seem to aggressive in getting these buyers.

A 15" Macbook, IMO, would be appealing to consumers and therefore more likely to make into Apple's lineup. Concerns over canabalizing MBP sales are probably holding it back. However when Santa Rosa is released Merom is supposed to get a speed bump. This could allow MBPs to get a speed bump and make room for a 15" Macbook. It's a possibility anyway.

I can't see an enhanced blackbook filling the gap between MBPs and Macbooks. The blackbook is already overpriced and I don't know what Apple can do to improve value on this product while raising the price to fill in this gap. It only makes it look more overpriced.

Reguardless of any sized speed bump, any 15" MacBook WOULD canabalize MBPro sales and is probably one of the least likely options for filling in the gap. And I do not dissagree about the BlackBook being overpriced. But, if they were to give it a significant specs bump, it would be worth the price and could help Mac portable users feel like they could get a better machine than the regualr MacBook without having to step up to a MBPro.
  • Reply 24 of 63
    P.S.

If anything, I could see the blackbook dissappearing and there being a 13.3" MacBook Pro. Apple made the move to the 13.3" format for some reason, and I just don't see them leaving it, at least not for a few years.

I am caught between the MacBook and MBPro. I do not want to spend $2000 on the Pro, but do not feel that the regualr MacBook will do everything that I want. So I would LOVE it if they came out with a 15" MacBook non-Pro, but I just don't see it happinen....
  • Reply 25 of 63
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I'm not going to say there would not be some canbalization of sales if a 15" Macbook were released. But there would also be some upselling of Macbook buyers who can't afford a $2000 MBP but can swing a $1599 or $1699 Macbook. Many users of MBPs will not be interested in a Macbook. They work in Apple pro apps and need all the horsepower they can get. Remeber Dell offers a 'consumer' 15" and a 'pro' 15". Other pc sellers seem less concerned about such canabalization.
  • Reply 26 of 63
    Quote:

Remeber Dell offers a 'consumer' 15" and a 'pro' 15". Other pc sellers seem less concerned about such canabalization.

That's because other PC sellers move double or triple Apple's volume without breaking a sweat. Apple can only afford to offer so many options. When you think about it, Apple sells:

1 Mac Pro (1 unit w/ different processor speeds)

4 iMacs (the two 17 inchers are different enough on the MoBo)

2 Macbooks (White and Black. Only difference between White1 and White2 are the DVD drive, proc, and HDD)

2 MPBs (15 + 17)

1 Mac Mini

1 XServe

1 XServe RAID

TOTAL: 12 models.

By comparison, Dell has 2 dozen or more models.

Since Apple can only make 4-6 different notebooks, it needs to target them strategically. Additionally, if you're buying a Mac, you usually have a fudge factor. The difference between a Dell and a HP is much less than the difference between a Dell and a Mac.
  • Reply 27 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski View Post

That's because other PC sellers move double or triple Apple's volume without breaking a sweat. Apple can only afford to offer so many options. When you think about it, Apple sells:

2 Macbooks (White and Black. Only difference between White1 and White2 are the DVD drive, proc, and HDD)

2 MPBs (15 + 17)

1 Mac Mini

1 XServe

1 XServe RAID

Since Apple can only make 4-6 different notebooks, it needs to target them strategically. Additionally, if you're buying a Mac, you usually have a fudge factor. The difference between a Dell and a HP is much less than the difference between a Dell and a Mac.

I don't disagree that Apple have fewer models and that Apple should have fewer models. The point was made to illustrate that other vendors do not worry about canabalizing their high end notebooks by simply offering a cheaper version of the same screeen size. Other features distinguish the pro from consumer models. I think Apple has roomfor a 15" consumer model notebook.
  • Reply 28 of 63
    Agreed. Even if it's just a MacBook Pro minus the ATi graphics card. As a matter of fact, I think that's why we'll soon see the whole line-up revamped with a totally new notebook enclosure. I think the new enclosure will be the same for both consumer and pro, but distinguishing factors like graphics card, card slot, FW800, and other features (think what they could do with Cingular with mobile broadband) would all fall into these Pro categories. I think it would be great. 12.1" MacBook Pro included!
  • Reply 29 of 63
    Well, there has been a lot of good discussion about 12" MBPs and 15" MBs, and I think everyone has made some good points.

One thing that hasn't really been touched on is what one person mentioned about maybe the BlackMB being upgraded a bit to fill the gap instead of a 12" MBP.

I'm in the crowd that really wants a 12" MBP, and I would honestly say that if a decent graphics card was added to the BlackMB that I would probably buy it. The lack of a graphics card is the primary reason for me wanting the MBP instead of the MB, though I'd still prefer a MBP for the processor and ports.

I can see that possibly filling the gap. I also, personally, think that there is room for a 15" Macbook and a 12" Macbook Pro without cannibalizing sales of the other notebooks too much, but that's just me.

I'm buying a new laptop this year. At present I've decided to wait until May/June to see what happens with Intel's "Santa Rosa" release and Apple's "Leopard" release. I'm guessing we'll see a new Mac around that time, though it may not be a MB or MBP. If it's not a 14" or less notebook with the features I'm after, I'll probably get a PC instead. Though, if no good PCs are released, I might wait for Penryn (though that could be pushing it).

This is a good discussion guys, and no one has gotten downright mean yet, so kudos to everyone. Let's keep up the good work shall we? Maybe we'll know for sure at the conference in June. (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2469)
  • Reply 30 of 63
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfe2211 View Post

There are many instances in all professions (e.g. engineering) where you don't need to take everything with you while on the road and you don't need a large screen to work effectively.

I'm hoping that Apple and SJ will fill this hole in the product line sooner rather later. BTW, there is a huge difference schlepping around a 5.2 lb compared to a 3 lb laptop.

I agree with this 100%. One of my favorite machines (weight and size-wise, not in terms of OS) was an NEC Mobilepro I had a few years ago. I think it was 1.2 pounds and about the size of an overlong paperback book. Still got a lot of work done on it and typed at nearly full speed on its slightly undersize keyboard. If Microsoft could make Windows CE, I don't understand why Apple can't make a stripped down version of OS X (not quite as stripped down as the iPhone) and a machine with an 8 hour battery life like the old Mobilepro. Sort of an upgraded eMate.

The weight difference also figures into my laptop case purchases. I try to steer away from the 5 pound cases. Not much point in getting the lightest laptop you can then weighing yourself down with a heavy case. In fact, I often carry my 12" PB around in my unpadded shoulder bag, which is a svelte 1.1 pound (okay, that's before I load it up with all my junk). I always remember that it's in there and treat the bag with kid gloves.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski View Post

2 MPBs (15 + 17)

1 Mac Mini

1 XServe

1 XServe RAID

But it wasn't so long ago that this was not the case. Only four years ago (give or take), we had a lineup with three PowerMac G4s, several iBooks including the 14" and three Powerbooks. Every one of those models had their own niche and fared well. I can't imagine that things have changed so much in a few years that Apple can no longer support the same number of models.
  • Reply 31 of 63
    Quote:

I don't disagree that Apple have fewer models and that Apple should have fewer models. The point was made to illustrate that other vendors do not worry about canabalizing their high end notebooks by simply offering a cheaper version of the same screeen size. Other features distinguish the pro from consumer models. I think Apple has roomfor a 15" consumer model notebook.

Yes, but at a price point where there is only a $300 difference between consumer and pro, the majority would find a way to swing the xtra 300 and get the pro, and the consumer would not sell very well.

Again, I wish they had something in this gap that I could set my sites on, but I think Apple wants to keep a bit more distinction between the consumer and pro models, and size is a way of doing that for them, reguardless of what other manufacturers are doing...
  • Reply 32 of 63
    With Apple care thrown in (which many users will purchase) the difference is closer to $500.
  • Reply 33 of 63
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

What would be the incentive for anyone to purchase a 15" MBP if there was a 15" Macbook?

Will the MBPs' "bells & whistles" be enough? I have always appreciated the sizeable discrepancy between the Consumer and Pro lines, enough that I've always felt the Pros are worth the premium.

I don't know, speed and dedicated video graphics. The 15" consumer market is the biggest market out there. Every time Apple plays the "if you want a bigger screen spend $2000 on a macbook Pro"card, they loose a sale to HP or Dell.
  • Reply 34 of 63
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdphc8 View Post

Does anyone have any information on when these are being released (or if they even will at all?)

The Macbook replaced both ibooks and the 12" Powerbook. It's actually close to a tenth of an inch thinner than the Powerbook.
  • Reply 35 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Electric Monk View Post

Actually the 12" PowerBook sold quite well. At least based on anecdotal evidence from everybody regarding what kind of Apple laptops they saw in public.

(no offend intended but you made me cry out loud litteraly).

Heck, based on that publicly viewable anecdotal Data, i'd claim that

Apples Marketshare is way beyond the proclaimed 3-4 % marketshare

they actually have. Based on what i see in the wild, i'd say Apples marketshare

is about 30-40 % and rising.
  • Reply 36 of 63
    I have a 12" Powerbook and bought it after returning a MacBook. The higher screen resolution and bright (too bright) glossy screen were not for me. I see the need for Apple to have a small, lightweight, powerful laptop. In the current lineup, there is none.
  • Reply 37 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vox Barbara View Post

(no offend intended but you made me cry out loud litteraly).

Heck, based on that publicly viewable anecdotal Data, i'd claim that

Apples Marketshare is way beyond the proclaimed 3-4 % marketshare

they actually have. Based on what i see in the wild, i'd say Apples marketshare

is about 30-40 % and rising.

Funny. But you just made my point (although I will of course concede the unreliability of anecdotal evidence). The markets the subnotebook would sell into (students/Asia) are happy to buy Macs. Take a look at a classroom: it's either Mac, subnotebook, or clunky old Dells. That's pretty much it. Japan loved Macs, but Apple no longer understands/cares about what used to be their number 2 market.

Students are a huge market for Apple (just look at those percentage of students entering university with Macs stats) and all the ones who used to buy 12" PowerBooks are not terribly happy with a bigger iBook.

Not to mention plenty of businesspeople who need to own the tiniest latest status symbol (plus those who actually do need the subnotebook size)—and Macs with their sense of design play right into that, but are too big.

Subnotebooks are profitable for Sony, a company that probably sells considerably less in laptops then Apple, and shows it by all the engineering they always invest in them—LED backlights, X505 tiny size, carbon fiber casings, integrated graphics card that switches to full size graphics card if you want it to…

If frickin' Sony makes enough off subnotebooks to make it worthwhile I cannot see how Apple would fail to make money.
  • Reply 38 of 63
    Quote:

With Apple care thrown in (which many users will purchase) the difference is closer to $500.

But you cannot use AppleCare when factoring in the perception of the general public. Yes, many users will opt for the AppleCare plan, but the plan cannot be used when examining price points. When looking around the Apple Store, most people will not be thinking about the extended care package. They are thinking about the amount of money they can afford to spend on thier new computer. For most of the people the idea of the care package probably dosn''t enter in to thier consideration until they get down to the bottom of the customization screen and see it there in front of them.
  • Reply 39 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

The Macbook replaced both ibooks and the 12" Powerbook. It's actually close to a tenth of an inch thinner than the Powerbook.

YES! Thank you!

This is what I'm talking about!
  • Reply 40 of 63
    And bigger in every other dimension. And over a pound heavier. If we're reduced to arguing about size.

Sigh.