Apple may ax next-gen HDD iPod in favor of all-flash models

Comments

• Reply 41 of 140
    Apple desperately needs a flash-based iPod. It'll mean no more broken hard drives. Anyways, it won't be long before a larger flash memory drive is a more reasonable price.
  • Reply 42 of 140
    jonejone Posts: 102member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

The hard drive was never designed to be bounced around continuously in your pocket.

Then why was it designed to be bounced around continuously in your pocket?

I actually agree strongly with the rest of your post.
  • Reply 43 of 140
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by menotyou View Post

I work for the firm that would have to provide the navigitable database to apple for this product and they are not a customer for such a product, nor would they be allowed to procure data from a vendor such as Garmin, etc

A little simple research will show that there are at least two companies that supply such a database: Navteq & Tele Atlas. These are the two companies who supply maps to Google, Yahoo, MapQuest (AOL), and Expedia (Microsoft).
  • Reply 44 of 140
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Didn't Steve Jobs just say in his "Thoughts on Music" anti-DRM manifesto that the average iPod is nearly full? Why then would their solution be smaller capacities? While I do suspect the "regular" iPod might go flash with capacities 16GB and 32GB initially (32GB is really pushing it) the upcoming widescreen/touchsceen Video iPod will stick with hard drives. You're not going to see a flash-based iPod with 60GB let alone 100GB or 120GB for a long, long time.
  • Reply 45 of 140
    He didn't say that the average iPod was full - he said that if you filled the typical iPod, only 3% of the 1000 songs would have iTunes Store content.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

Didn't Steve Jobs just say in his "Thoughts on Music" anti-DRM manifesto that the average iPod is nearly full? Why then would their solution be smaller capacities? While I do suspect the "regular" iPod might go flash with capacities 16GB and 32GB initially (32GB is really pushing it) the upcoming widescreen/touchsceen Video iPod will stick with hard drives. You're not going to see a flash-based iPod with 60GB let alone 100GB or 120GB for a long, long time.

• Reply 46 of 140
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    This report is so dumb.

Question: What's the difference between an analyst speculating about Apple and some random dude with a blog?

Answer: The analyst suckered some company into paying them 6-7 figure salaries.

Question: Anything else?

Answer: No.

Why this report is dumb:

VIDEO

VIDEO

VIDEO

oh, and home on an iPod.
  • Reply 47 of 140
    While I agree that a hard disk can be a "fragile" device it's the reason that all of my music is on a mirrored raid. It's also why you should backup your data and even store it offsite. Further more to use high quality audio takes 10 times the space and thus until flash can be cheap enough to hold 100GB or more it just doesn't work for me. On a 60GB ipod I only can store 2000 lossless files. Not even close to the 10000 I have and I'm still adding. I for one don't like to "choose" which songs to carry as what I might want to listen to at anytime might not be there.
  • Reply 48 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Don't be so sure about that. Lo-Jack for cars works well enough.

With new GPS chips coming to market, and digital tech being what it is, I can see a unit being located by a transceiver querying for a serial number over the air, and receiving an answer back.

This would help to allow that:

http://www.u-blox.com/news/3GSM.html

Despite the availability of the technology to track these things (I think even Steve Woz's company, Wheels of Zeuss, promises a similar tracking technology), Apple is NOT going to offer Lo-Jack style tracking of these devices. Please! Won't happen. I guarantee it... I triple-latte-guarantee it!
  • Reply 49 of 140
    bspearsbspears Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Commodus View Post

He didn't say that the average iPod was full - he said that if you filled the typical iPod, only 3% of the 1000 songs would have iTunes Store content.

cut and pasted from the apple website

Today?s most popular iPod holds 1000 songs, and research tells us that the average iPod is nearly full. This means that only 22 out of 1000 songs, or under 3% of the music on the average iPod, is purchased from the iTunes store and protected with a DRM. The remaining 97% of the music is unprotected and playable on any player that can play the open formats. It?s hard to believe that just 3% of the music on the average iPod is enough to lock users into buying only iPods in the future. And since 97% of the music on the average iPod was not purchased from the iTunes store, iPod users are clearly not locked into the iTunes store to acquire their music.
  • Reply 50 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fahlman View Post

A little simple research will show that there are at least two companies that supply such a database: Navteq & Tele Atlas. These are the two companies who supply maps to Google, Yahoo, MapQuest (AOL), and Expedia (Microsoft).

and google, yahoo, nokia, garmin, tomtom, and microsoft all purchase from both these companies and blend their data into a uniform map product along with automotive providers, etc. Firm #1 is better at some area's of the globe, while Firm #2 is better in others. Put them together and you've got the best possible. And there are ONLY 2 companies that provide this type of data, it is a Duopoly. This is the industry my paycheck comes from.... Apple is not involved as a direct buyer, if Maps show up they will be branded by Google most likely (probally phasing out MapQuest). Apple will not control the data in it's raw format. This is why the iphone in Steve J.'s presentation had a Google widget & not something more 'in house'
  • Reply 51 of 140
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 181member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdhouse4 View Post

This is so silly as to be false. I have an 80 Gig iPod, but what I really need is 120 Gig right now. I'm sure I'm not alone. And Apple makes good money off of its large capacity iPods. And the space taken up by the drives does not affect user experience.

I'm also in agreement. I need, at the very least, a minimum of 100 GB for my music storage.
  • Reply 52 of 140
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 181member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mazzy View Post

I DON'T give a crap about video. It's the music stupid (to quote a familiar Amercian Political phrase). My 80GB iPod is FULL with over 19,000+ songs. Bring on a 100, 120, 200 GB iPod so I can get more of my music loaded!!!!!! PLEEZE NOT SMALLER!

What's your encoding bit rate?

I have 8,846 songs for total of 54.31 GB on my Macbook's hard drive.
  • Reply 53 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Ridiculous! That is not gonna happen!

Actually, I've got this already and it doesn't need GPS.

See Theft Aware from IT Agents...

http://shop.my-symbian.com/PlatformP...oductId=194884
  • Reply 54 of 140
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shamino View Post

Why would anybody RAID together multiple 32G flash drives intead of simply hanging 128G worth of flash memory chips off of a single flash file system controller?

I think the 32G "limit" described is a limit only in terms of price and physical space within an iPod's shell.

"RAID" sounds sexy, so people want one, even if it makes no difference for their purpose.

The question is whether these people will pay the $3,000 for a 4 x 32 GB Flash raid for their iPod, or for their computer.
  • Reply 55 of 140
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Am I the only person in the world who thinks it's utterly ridiculous to store your entire movie, picture, and music collection on a fragile portable device?

I realize that the process of actually changing your playlists and removing content you don't use anymore once every couple of weeks or so may be too cumbersome and baffling for some, but get over it! The hard drive was never designed to be bounced around continuously in your pocket. I'm ready for the transition to solid state hardware and better battery life.

Personally, I'm waiting for the day when the hard drive is completely obsolete. I've seen way too many hard drive crashes and heard too many horror stories of people losing a lot of work to them.

No. I can never understand why someone would want to keep more than a week or so's worth of material on a portable device.

I have over 1,500 lp's in the process of being converted to digital (not fun, I can tell you!), and over 2,000 cd's, plus much video.

I just can't see having all of that with me at all times.
  • Reply 56 of 140
    Wow, 55 posts and nobody came up with it should read "Apple may axe next-gen......" not "ax" <-- that is not a word.

Okay, some places may use "ax". I just suggest it should be "axe" as in "Microsoft to axe 20,000 employees in Zune division...".
  • Reply 57 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BWhaler View Post

Question: What's the difference between an analyst speculating about Apple and some random dude with a blog?

Answer: The analyst suckered some company into paying them 6-7 figure salaries.

Best joke of the week !!
  • Reply 58 of 140
    Axe is UK-Oxford dictionary, apparently... \ I didn't know in the US it is spelt Ax.
  • Reply 59 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I have over 1,500 lp's in the process of being converted to digital (not fun, I can tell you!)....

Well, hell, it *should* be fun!! Why are you doing it otherwise? For profit, fair enough. For home, well, it *should* be fun, 8)
  • Reply 60 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shamino View Post

Translation: "I don't need one, so everybody who thinks they do is insane, stupid, or in dire need of re-education".

Well thank you very much. Remind me to vote for someone else when the ballot goes around to elect a god.

Aren't we in the "Holier than thou" mood today? In reality (AKA where people don't post on these forums) people have about on average 10-20 GB of music. There are plenty of people who would be quite content with a 30 GB flash iPod.